New Wave 1: The Next Wave of this Suburban

justcuz

Explorer
Lots of times if the clutch goes bad you can see the debris behind the pulley from it slipping. At least it did not lock up and spit the belt!

KE7JFF

Adventurer
So, here is a update:

I had the driver's side power window go out; fortunately, the problem was the motor managed to break off the screws on its support rails; but I was able to fix the problem with new screws and washers that fixed the problem.

Need to replace the brake pads; but I'm going to need to probably replace the drivers front rotor as its scratched up pretty bad; but this is a pressed hub so I'm going to have fun removing it...

And the drivers's seat broke one of the bolts on the little bracket that lets the seat go up and down; tried to drill it out but I can't get at it right. I might just go get a seat from another rig.

However, after camping in the rig in the back with just a cot on the full floor, I liked that setup for when its just me.

boll_rig

Adventurer
Glad to hear an update, even if it came with a few problems. I used a cot in mine all summer that I was able to store boxes under. worked well. I am about to build out a bed now though.. got any more photos?

KE7JFF

Adventurer
UGHHHHH!

A few weeks back in Portland, we had a big snowstorm that thru down 8" inches of snow so I was in 4WD for quite some time. Well, last Monday when all the snow has gone away, I was on the way home from the store when I had no foward gears on my TH400 transmission. I had reverse, but no forward. So with the help of some friends, I got the Suburban out of the way onto a side street.

A few days later on my days off, I got the car back to at least my street where I decided to pull the trans pan. I found the filter had popped loose from its feed line and was off the bolt; there were two bolts also just loose in the pan from the valve body.

Today, I put the bolts back into its place in the valve body, put a new filter in and put the pan back in, filled it up with fluid and then gave it a test drive. I had all gears back and took a short drive with it where I got up on a empty road to 55 and was holding there just fine up hills and everything. Went to stop at Taco Bell, got back to the car and while reverse was just fine, I put it in D and well, I had very limited power in forward; it was accerating slowly and then eventually, I think it upshifted but then when I stopped at a light or stop sign, it was the same limited power again. High RPMs when doing that of course; if I put in 1 or 2, it was better, but not the same.

I'm debating what I should do next; I don't have the space nor a decent garage like I used to pull a transmission, but I could arrange it with friends if that I could exactly pinpoint if its the torque converter or something else. I do also have an option to pickup a 1992 Suburban 2500 that is rock solid for cheap, but I kind of don't want to give up yet. Anyone have an ideas?

rayra

Expedition Leader
Sounds like you need to find a trustworthy trans shop and have them look at the valve body on the trans. If the valving is sticking you'd get the odd behaviour you have. IF it was torque converter you shouldn't have reverse, either, IIRC.
A bit of googling and a Haynes THM350/THM400 manual should find the set of failure behaviors that match your trouble.

http://www.yesterdaystractors.com/cgi-bin/viewit.cgi?bd=ttalk&th=1272747
320B
Re: O/T: TH400 trans, solid in reverse but no forward gears? in reply to MeAnthony, 03-24-2013 16:23:31
How long has it sat for. My turbo 400 would drain the TC if it sat for awhile. I would have to let it idle until it was good and warm and add at least a quart of trans fluid. The turbo 400 will leak out from around the dip stick tube as the TC drained back. Reverse would work with low fluid but not the forward gears.

You seem to be having a lot of gremlins with this beast, which is odd with such low mileage. Age alone shouldn't do it. At this point were I you I'd start finding the time to do as much preventative maintenance as I could. Get ahead of the failures.

KE7JFF

Adventurer
Well, I have no fluid leaks thankfully!

My thinking about all the gremlins on this rig are more from the fact it was never a hard daily driver so all these issues come up.

The other rig that was offered to me a 1994 GMC Suburban 1500 as I found out is I'm going to see if what the offer is; if its less than going to a shop, I might go that route instead and sell this rig as much as I would hate to do that, but money and time are tight right now.

KE7JFF

Adventurer
Well, its official...got a deal pending with a friend on this rig and will be upgrading to a 1994 GMC Suburban 1500...more to come later.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94