Another Gen1 Tundra Thread

toyotech

Expedition Leader
What is "sun"? Haha

In hindsight I think I'd rather go the single route.
I thought it'd be cheaper going dual since I already had a battery. Then I paid $3/foot for wire (20 feet), 8 ring terminals at $2 ea, $30 or so for the circuit breaker. Then the $15 solenoid didn't work out how I wanted so I spent $70 on the Wirthco.
It quickly added up to the price of a big single battery.
Live and learn...

Sent from my OnePlus One using Tapatalk.

Main reason I rather have one battery is cost. Not cost of wiring it up but cost of replacing two batteries every 5-7 years lol. For me this would run 6-700$ in batteries

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

AaronK

Explorer
Yeah...my first house battery was one that I had kicking around. Died in the middle of Idaho this summer and had to be replaced. Now my starter battery is about done.
Hindsight is 20/20.

LumpyCanuck

Observer
bit of a thread revival, but how do you like the wirthco isolator? any issues? looks simple as hell, and the price point is right. Cable and connectors aren't a huge concern, as I get a decent discount at the welding supplies stores in town (the fattest battery cable out there :D). Not that we are going to be running a lot off house battery, I'd just rather have a stand-alone system I can use and still start the truck when we want.

AaronK

Explorer
It's performed flawlessly so far. Stood up to the harsh environment of the engine compartment. They claim it's not that waterproof, but I've hosed out my engine bay and nailed it pretty good without issue.

AaronK

Explorer
Well, went to do some maintenance yesterday in the form of new LBJs. Pulled the driver tire off and found this lovely mess...
217fb497e2df482e277f07d261f5b459.jpg

So now I'm on the hunt for new axles!

wrenchMonkey_

Adventurer
For the axles, OEM Toyota is the best way to go if your trying to maximize travel. Its also a bit stronger due to the design.

That being said, my suggestion would be to get the High Angle Orange boots from Off Road Solutions. They are about $60 for the inners and come with grease. You can always try and reboot them if the joint is not too far gone and hope for the best. If the joint is still toast, then atleast you can re-use the boots and put them on the new axles you get, as you still have this issue some day down the road.

I installed the ORS boots (inner and outer) and I have been happy since. No issues and they look great. Some pictures and info in my thread.

AaronK

Explorer
I'll have to remember that next time around. I already ordered a replacement axle with factory boots

AaronK

Explorer
So I'm typically a very utilitarian guy. Function over form and all that. I don't do things to my truck just for looks, it all has to serve a purpose.

Well I took a break from all that and bought LED turn signals. My ARB bumper has turn signals in it and it always bugged me that the LEDs in the bumper blinked differently than the incandescent factory signals. Then i stumbled across "switchback" LEDs. They are white when on as running lights and turn to yellow when the turn signals activate. Plus the whites are pretty bright and will help with visibility as i leave my running lights on full time. Poor man DRLs of sorts.
Anyway, here's a crappy video of their operation:
https://youtu.be/sr3wDKy2_g8

Cheers!

toyotech

Expedition Leader
Nice. Switchbacks are expensive for the good ones. The cheap ones won't last

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AaronK

Explorer
Tundra's about to get a facelift! We sleep in the truck on trips. Up to now this has meant doing the "yard sale" with all our gear. Building a sleeping platform was not feasible due to the lack of headroom.

Soooo, just ordered a Leer DCC wedge commercial shell! This will sit about a foot higher than the cab. Dual barn doors on the back. Windoors. Roof rack. Gonna be great!

Now I just have to wait 6 weeks for Leer to build it...

cfb0da80f7c86cb4c16eb81ed7155fe5.jpg

GoodEnoughforGabe

Adventurer
Great rig man! I daily a DC 04 4x4 Tundra as well.

Did you ever end up getting the axles squared away? Did you go with new ones or were they fine with high angle CV's?

That's a great looking slider there, I just may have to hit up that shop as I'm located pretty close just east of Seattle. How much did you end up paying for them, and did you notice any additional stiffness in the frame of your truck?

Gabe

AaronK

Explorer
Great rig man! I daily a DC 04 4x4 Tundra as well.

Did you ever end up getting the axles squared away? Did you go with new ones or were they fine with high angle CV's?

That's a great looking slider there, I just may have to hit up that shop as I'm located pretty close just east of Seattle. How much did you end up paying for them, and did you notice any additional stiffness in the frame of your truck?

Gabe
I ended up with a reman Napa axle. Didn't bother with a high angle boot since it's the outside that failed not the inside and there's no upgraded boot for the outside. For the cost and ease of axle swap, I'll just keep using the Napa axles.
What's a high-top Leer cost these days?
Ooh man can we not talk about that? This one is just north of $3k 😵

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke