Kakadu Bushranger XT

indiedog

Adventurer
Heaps of this style of thing have done the rounds all over Australia and the Kakadu Bushranger is well known amongst them. My only negative is the setup and takedown can be a bit arduous if you are moving frequently. If you tend to stop in one spot it isn't such an issue. Note most of them over here have leaf spring suspension so can't comment on the Timbren (if that's what it is).

Septu

Explorer
My only negative is the setup and takedown can be a bit arduous if you are moving frequently. If you tend to stop in one spot it isn't such an issue.

That was my first thought as well. You can setup quite the site if you want to... but it's likely going to take some time to set it up and take it down.

ZGKiwi

For my family of 2 adults, 2 kids and 2 large labradors we need more of a "trailer tent" as opposed to a "roof top tent" so I'm quite curious in Bushranger XT myself.
Seems a few reviews out there suggest setup time and complication can be mitigated somewhat by adapting how much of the tent (extra rooms, wall kits etc) you set up depending on objective, anticipated weather and time of stay etc.
Bushrangers seem to fit the bill with a good looking tent, decently rugged trailer and well priced. Obviously not as integrated in terms of kitchen, water, electrical systems as some other out there but price reflects that.

Last edited:

JB87

not trying to bump, did you buy one already?
We have one and me and my wife love it, if you just setup the tent and no awning it is pretty fast.
If there is no wind we never do any pegs or whatsoever..

You can modify the trailer yourself and add fridges on a slide with a battery mounted inside somewhere, the off road capability is good.
Only thing I don't like is the standard paint it came with, bought the trailer used and the tent new and the trailer had lots of surface rust while only 2 years old..
So cleaned everything and painted it with 2 layers of truck bed liner.

Hope that helps.

cheers.

SamM

Adventurer
Heaps of this style of thing have done the rounds all over Australia and the Kakadu Bushranger is well known amongst them. My only negative is the setup and takedown can be a bit arduous if you are moving frequently. If you tend to stop in one spot it isn't such an issue. Note most of them over here have leaf spring suspension so can't comment on the Timbren (if that's what it is).

The suspension looks like a Dexter TorFlex. The description says Timbren but one of the pictures says Dexter TorFlex. I'd make sure to get the Timbrens.

SamM

jonnyquest

Adventurer
not trying to bump, did you buy one already?
We have one and me and my wife love it, if you just setup the tent and no awning it is pretty fast.
If there is no wind we never do any pegs or whatsoever..

You can modify the trailer yourself and add fridges on a slide with a battery mounted inside somewhere, the off road capability is good.
Only thing I don't like is the standard paint it came with, bought the trailer used and the tent new and the trailer had lots of surface rust while only 2 years old..
So cleaned everything and painted it with 2 layers of truck bed liner.

Hope that helps.

cheers.

Any chance you could post a video of your setup? I've looked at these trailer tents before. Its doen't seem to be that difficult of a setup.

JB87

Any chance you could post a video of your setup? I've looked at these trailer tents before. Its doen't seem to be that difficult of a setup.

Don't have a video, there is one on youtube if you search for Kakadu or bushranger.
See photos below:
1268a5306a37724e1c9add6e6561c3a8.jpg

d4bcb40ded7e7aa26ec3347ba351a3ac.jpg

710b651aa85fbc7147144a4bf28d8fae.jpg

9955812494121c2bf4441cf55dbcf892.jpg

61ec6248e6ba1a2a909e984ae3503922.jpg

9955812494121c2bf4441cf55dbcf892.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JB87

It is a really easy setup. If you do the awning it takes more time obviously, you only need that for rain

msand1977

Observer
I have one of there tents on my M416. I think the quality is really good and the set up is not too bad unless you use the awning. I towed mine all the way down to Mulege in Baja moving camp spots every 3-4 days. Setting up every day would have been a pain but doable. For me the tent is the easy part, its all the other crap my family takes that's has to be jig saw puzzled into my trailer that takes along time.

Ozarker

Pontoon Admiral
Like this set up. But, I would modify it with a solid floor that folds down from the side, the poles would open as the floor is laid down. Then go inside and raise and lock the poles in place. Bottom snaps, done. I had a 7'x7' that did the same, less than 3 minutes to set it up. :)

JB87

Exactly the tent is easy to setup and pretty fast (no awning). All the other things like grabbing something out of the trailer while the tent is setup already can be hard but depends how you packed it too. Pretty happy with it from a price point too. Lots of "nicer" trailers but double or more the price.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier