Solar panel affixed to hood?

crusaderJK

Adventurer
YES! This is exactly what I'm going for. Do you have details on the build? Parts? Equipment? Install? Please share!!!

My mounting solution was custom made by a friend of mine.
I told him that I wanted to mount my solar panel to the hood, and that there might be a way for a no-drill installation using the hinges and the holes the Wrangler already has in the hood.

I gave him the panel, he took measurements on his own JK and came up with this...
brackets.jpg

To mount my panel I have to remove one of the hinge bolts on each side. That's where the bolts on the edge of the panel frame go into.

The bolts in the middle of the panel go through the holes where the Wrangler usually has the footman loop.
2 nuts and plastic washers on these bolts let the panel rest on the hood, while 2 more nuts fix it from under the hood.

The wires for the panel go through the cowl into the back of the Jeep, where they plug into my battery box.
IMG_20150521_213241.jpg

Unfortunately can't help you much with a mounting solution for your rig. :(

joelwho

Adventurer
My mounting solution was custom made by a friend of mine.
I told him that I wanted to mount my solar panel to the hood, and that there might be a way for a no-drill installation using the hinges and the holes the Wrangler already has in the hood.

I gave him the panel, he took measurements on his own JK and came up with this...
View attachment 341535

To mount my panel I have to remove one of the hinge bolts on each side. That's where the bolts on the edge of the panel frame go into.

The bolts in the middle of the panel go through the holes where the Wrangler usually has the footman loop.
2 nuts and plastic washers on these bolts let the panel rest on the hood, while 2 more nuts fix it from under the hood.

The wires for the panel go through the cowl into the back of the Jeep, where they plug into my battery box.
View attachment 341541

Unfortunately can't help you much with a mounting solution for your rig. :(

This is great! Thanks for sharing!

What gauge wire do you use for the run from the panel to the battery box? Did you custom fit or is it pre-made?

Last edited:

crusaderJK

Adventurer
This is great! Thanks for sharing!

What gauge wire do you use for the run from the panel to the battery box? Did you custom fit or is it use pre-made?

The wires came with the panel (was a complete kit with panel, battery, charge controller and wires) and are 10AWG.

adam88

Explorer
Sounds like you already got a great answer.

One thing I'd be concerned about is the solar panel being stolen (although, solar panels are so cheap now, who cares... but there's lots of idiots out there and I could see them damaging it trying to remove it, or damaging the hood). Also the heat, as mentioned my idasho would be a concern but if you leave a gap between the panel and the hood then no problem.

Frankly, I think it's kind of a neat idea and a good way to use hood space. The jeep looks great.

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
The rigid panel spaced away from the hood is as good as an install as you can get for a hood mount.

It looks a bit silly, but if it is the only place you have available, then by all means...

Its the flexible panels affixed right to the hood that would see heat related problems.

teotwaki

Excelsior!
I have an 80W panel mounted to my hood when I travel/camp.

Never experienced one of the mentioned concerns.

Solar panels are semiconductors and heat negatively affects semiconductors. It is pretty interesting stuff.

TEMPER.GIF

I suspect the 80W panel may be overkill for this application so the inefficiencies due to heat soak and sun orientation go unnoticed on clear and sunny days. Sort of like driving a big V8 when gas is cheap and no one cares because MPGs are never tracked. I've been very successful with a deployable 60W panel so a 25% loss on the 80W panel is not a show stopper. For someone who does not want to take the time to deploy and move a panel then hard mounting an oversized panel can work.

Plain English explanations:

http://scienceline.ucsb.edu/getkey.php?key=2668

Good info here for the gear heads.

http://www.pveducation.org/pvcdrom/solar-cell-operation/effect-of-temperature

joelwho

Adventurer

One thing I'd be concerned about is the solar panel being stolen (although, solar panels are so cheap now, who cares... but there's lots of idiots out there and I could see them damaging it trying to remove it, or damaging the hood). Also the heat, as mentioned my idasho would be a concern but if you leave a gap between the panel and the hood then no problem.

Frankly, I think it's kind of a neat idea and a good way to use hood space. The jeep looks great.

Theft isn't a huge concern, for me. But damaging the truck is. Something to consider

joelwho

Adventurer
The rigid panel spaced away from the hood is as good as an install as you can get for a hood mount.

It looks a bit silly, but if it is the only place you have available, then by all means...

Its the flexible panels affixed right to the hood that would see heat related problems.

crusaderJK

Adventurer

Thanks!
I also thought about the chances the panel might get stolen. That's why I chose the rigid panel bolted to the hood instead of a semi-flexible tied to the hood.

The one picture was taken at the Trucker and Country Festival in Switzerland. Sadly, there were some people who didn't respect other people's belongings and somebody stole my hat and money from me and my friends' wallets while we were sleeping. Luckily no one messed with my Jeep.

brianjwilson

Some sort of lost...
Why not do something like this guy.

http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/155298-My-(removable)-50W-panel

very simple and wont be a bother while driving. Those flexible panels are pretty cheap these days also. check ebay and amazon.

For what it's worth I just returned the last two of my four renogy flexible panels. All of them failed in less than a year. They were mounted with adhesive backed Velcro on the white aluminum roof of a camper, parked in the garage most of the time. Amazing concept but total failure. Renogy has refunded every one of them so I have replaced all of them with Renogy rigid panels. Just FYI

joelwho

Adventurer
For what it's worth I just returned the last two of my four renogy flexible panels. All of them failed in less than a year. They were mounted with adhesive backed Velcro on the white aluminum roof of a camper, parked in the garage most of the time. Amazing concept but total failure. Renogy has refunded every one of them so I have replaced all of them with Renogy rigid panels. Just FYI

Good to know. Thanks for the share

DIY Guy

Observer
Count me in!

Hi guys, just saw this thread and thought Id throw this in. I found an old panel and controller in a custom van in the junkyard and thought Id connect it to my cranking battery just to keep it topped off. I dont remember the wattage but it was low, maybe 8-10w and the controller looks to be made in the 90s? but for a couple bucks I was willing t give it a try. The panel is about 12in square and rarely produces any glare. I mounted it directly to the hood but because of the frame has about an inch of air flow front to back. I was aprehensive to mount a panel to the hood but dont have a lot of space left to play with so it was a function over form decision. It works well and now that the proof of concept proved that this is something Ill do permanetly am considering a newer/updated system. Just my 2 cents! ; )
20151028_165032.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior