Toyota guys think it's sacrilege.

p nut

butter
What are the specs on your F-150?

Just a stock 2.7L Ecoboost super crew. Couldn't believe how big the rear seat area was. MPG is 24mpg highway stock. Added 33's and I'm down to 22. Not bad considering the 100 with 33's was 16 at best. Truck bed meets our needs better as well.

uscg2008

Explorer
Nice move! Is that an lbz Duramax? And do you take it down tight trails?

It has a LLY duramax in it. And I haven't tried taking it down any really tight trails yet. It doesn't have the best turn radius but it will work for most of the places that I would want to go.

gunpainter

Observer
I went from a minivan to this:

55f358d0b23a22684afd59a6.jpg

2012 Ram 3500 Longhorn Mega Cab 6.7 diesel

I have a diamondback se cover on the bed now, 2" leveling kit, steering box stabilizer, and Bilstein 5100's all around that are waiting to go on. On the fence about a AAM e-locker from the power wagon for the front, and between a truetrac or detroit locker for the rear. Likely just going to see how well the open diffs and traction control work. It's a big truck, and i'm not planning on rock crawling. I'd be irritated if I did all that work for adventures, and my 2 girls decided they preferred modern amenities like their momma.

I call it the couch on wheels. Has a DVD in the back so the girls can watch Frozen 8 times between Kansas City and Denver.

It's a big change going from a minivan, to a truck that has way more space, way more cargo capacity, way taller, twice the horsepower, and 4 times the torque.

Branden

cliniford

Observer
It's not bad for a 3/4 ton, definitely stiff, and not as compliant as the land cruiser was, but when you can carry of 3100lbs of payload what do you expect. I plan to add some Bilstein 5100's, should help some and lowering the tire pressure of course always helps.

If you can afford it, you should look at the Fox 2.0 instead of the Bilsteins. I put the 5100's on my 2500 and have regretted it every day since. They ride like ****.

Dake21

Adventurer
A sacrilege would have been going from toyota to jeep. :peepwall:

I'm flirting with the idea of getting a full size myself but my budjet always bring me back down to earth. Maybe when my wife will get a full time job.

Ducky's Dad

Explorer
If you can afford it, you should look at the Fox 2.0 instead of the Bilsteins. I put the 5100's on my 2500 and have regretted it every day since. They ride like ****.
I put Thuren-tuned Fox 2.0s on my Power Wagon last summer. I like them a lot.

warrpath4x4

Adventurer
there's a guy on CK5.com that has been getting lightly used Fox shocks off the ford raptors and fitting them to fit on K5 blazers.

I went from a minivan to this:

View attachment 341609

2012 Ram 3500 Longhorn Mega Cab 6.7 diesel

I have a diamondback se cover on the bed now, 2" leveling kit, steering box stabilizer, and Bilstein 5100's all around that are waiting to go on. On the fence about a AAM e-locker from the power wagon for the front, and between a truetrac or detroit locker for the rear. Likely just going to see how well the open diffs and traction control work. It's a big truck, and i'm not planning on rock crawling. I'd be irritated if I did all that work for adventures, and my 2 girls decided they preferred modern amenities like their momma.

I call it the couch on wheels. Has a DVD in the back so the girls can watch Frozen 8 times between Kansas City and Denver.

It's a big change going from a minivan, to a truck that has way more space, way more cargo capacity, way taller, twice the horsepower, and 4 times the torque.

Branden

Good looking truck! You'll have to let me know how you like the Bilsteins, I'm looking to upgrade. I wasn't aware that you could buy the aam e-lockers. Where can i find these?

gunpainter

Observer
Good looking truck! You'll have to let me know how you like the Bilsteins, I'm looking to upgrade. I wasn't aware that you could buy the aam e-lockers. Where can i find these?

I had to PM the link to you, the page won't let me post links. Probly have to get to so many posts before I can to keep out the bots.

Branden

Ducky's Dad

Explorer
I'll have to look into the Fox 2.0's. I know BDS offers them with their leveling kit.
Be sure you know which Fox shocks you want and which you are getting. Fox has two lines, one with aluminum tubes and one with steel tubes. As I recall, the aluminum tubes are used on the shocks that are sold as model-specific (i.e., specifically for a certain vehicle). The shocks that are are sold by length (you decide what will fit your vehicle with whatever mods you have) come with the steel tubes. The aluminum shocks cannot be rebuilt, but the steel tube shocks can be rebuilt, re-valved, etc. I think stainless steel shafts are optional, but I know mine have them. I considered a lot of shocks for my PW, and had not planned on spending Fox money, but when I sat down and evaluated all the alternatives the Thuren Fox 2.0s were the right choice for the price.

kmcoop7

Observer
It's ok

I did it too. Those die hard LC guys don't know what they are missing trying to cram a family of 5, dogs and camping gear into those tiny old LC's

My 97' 80 series (it was a beast on some of the most difficult trails in CO)
P1000525.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

My current 2016 Mega, Cummins, G56
20160403_172458.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Proof that a big truck can wheel on TIGHT trails (although body damage usually results)
20150717_155441.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

My 80 was fun when I only had one kid or was out hunting solo. With a family of 5 dogs and gear for the weekend, you really can't beat a full size with a topper! I would say everything about the truck is better. Power, space, payload, reliability, fun to drive..............well, it isn't quite as good as the LC was off road.

As far as shocks, look at Carli or Thuren. Both make custom tuned FOX and King shocks. Don't buy off the shelf shocks for one of these big trucks. Also bilsteins won't hold up to hard, frequent off road use. I killed 3 sets of billies and a set of stockers in 30k miles before I got smart and upgraded to Kings from Carli.

gunpainter

Observer
Breaking stuff, or other problems for me are opportunities to talk the wife into allowing upgrades. If I get stuck somewhere, and have difficulty getting recovered by a much smaller vehicle, my argument gets quite strong for winch bumper, winch, recovery gear, and differentials. I'm starting with 5100 stocks, but I will likely upgrade the whole suspension before too long. Gotta paint a bunch of guns to pay for all that, lol.

Branden

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior