Toyota guys think it's sacrilege.

I did it too. Those die hard LC guys don't know what they are missing trying to cram a family of 5, dogs and camping gear into those tiny old LC's

My 97' 80 series (it was a beast on some of the most difficult trails in CO)
P1000525.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

My current 2016 Mega, Cummins, G56
20160403_172458.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Proof that a big truck can wheel on TIGHT trails (although body damage usually results)
20150717_155441.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

My 80 was fun when I only had one kid or was out hunting solo. With a family of 5 dogs and gear for the weekend, you really can't beat a full size with a topper! I would say everything about the truck is better. Power, space, payload, reliability, fun to drive..............well, it isn't quite as good as the LC was off road.

As far as shocks, look at Carli or Thuren. Both make custom tuned FOX and King shocks. Don't buy off the shelf shocks for one of these big trucks. Also bilsteins won't hold up to hard, frequent off road use. I killed 3 sets of billies and a set of stockers in 30k miles before I got smart and upgraded to Kings from Carli.

Man those are some beautiful rigs, I really like your new one. I believe the fox shocks form bds are tuned specifically to the Ram 2500 but I'll have to recheck. Thanks for the advice on the Bilsteins I will go another route.

TommyG

Adventurer
Guilty as charged:

Stage 1:

Taco at Farm1.jpg

Stage 2:

030.jpg

Current:

678.jpg

My wife actually talked me into considering the Power Wagon. Further proof that I married the right gal. I can get all the gear there without the rig breaking a sweat and do it comfort. If it will physically fit down the trail it will usually make it.

Guilty as charged:

Stage 1:

View attachment 342415

Stage 2:

View attachment 342417

Current:

View attachment 342418

My wife actually talked me into considering the Power Wagon. Further proof that I married the right gal. I can get all the gear there without the rig breaking a sweat and do it comfort. If it will physically fit down the trail it will usually make it.

Nice man! Great choice. Sometimes I wish I would have gone with the power wagon but didn't want to sacrifice payload, even though I know it can handle more then rated.

04Ram2500Hemi

Observer
I did it too. Those die hard LC guys don't know what they are missing trying to cram a family of 5, dogs and camping gear into those tiny old LC's

My 97' 80 series (it was a beast on some of the most difficult trails in CO)
P1000525.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

My current 2016 Mega, Cummins, G56
20160403_172458.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Proof that a big truck can wheel on TIGHT trails (although body damage usually results)
20150717_155441.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

My 80 was fun when I only had one kid or was out hunting solo. With a family of 5 dogs and gear for the weekend, you really can't beat a full size with a topper! I would say everything about the truck is better. Power, space, payload, reliability, fun to drive..............well, it isn't quite as good as the LC was off road.

As far as shocks, look at Carli or Thuren. Both make custom tuned FOX and King shocks. Don't buy off the shelf shocks for one of these big trucks. Also bilsteins won't hold up to hard, frequent off road use. I killed 3 sets of billies and a set of stockers in 30k miles before I got smart and upgraded to Kings from Carli.

Wow- that Mega Cab is sharp! I just ordered a set of AEV Salta HD's for my 2012 Power Wagon, and I'm hoping to see them in the next week or two.

kojackJKU

Autism Family Travellers!
A sacrilege would have been going from toyota to jeep. :peepwall:

I'm flirting with the idea of getting a full size myself but my budjet always bring me back down to earth. Maybe when my wife will get a full time job.

Ha ha ha....NOPE

TommyG

Adventurer
Nice man! Great choice. Sometimes I wish I would have gone with the power wagon but didn't want to sacrifice payload, even though I know it can handle more then rated.

Thanks. I don't have to haul too heavy so I can get away with it from a payload standpoint. I am really loving it now that I made the switch.

KSL22

Adventurer
Be sure you know which Fox shocks you want and which you are getting. Fox has two lines, one with aluminum tubes and one with steel tubes. As I recall, the aluminum tubes are used on the shocks that are sold as model-specific (i.e., specifically for a certain vehicle). The shocks that are are sold by length (you decide what will fit your vehicle with whatever mods you have) come with the steel tubes. The aluminum shocks cannot be rebuilt, but the steel tube shocks can be rebuilt, re-valved, etc. I think stainless steel shafts are optional, but I know mine have them. I considered a lot of shocks for my PW, and had not planned on spending Fox money, but when I sat down and evaluated all the alternatives the Thuren Fox 2.0s were the right choice for the price.

I have off the shelf Dodge specific Fox 2.0 IFP (non reservoir) shocks on my 08 megacab. I am not really impressed with them. They work good an larger bumps and rollers on the fire roads but are not great on the highway. I haven't ridden in any other dodges to compare to so they might be as good or better than any other of the shelf, but I expected more. Granted I still have stock leafs in the rear.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles