Canter Regearing.

Tonkatuff

Adventurer
Well Dan some say size does not matter:sombrero:

My point was that i think you are on the money, these trucks were only really designed to run around at 80-90 and i suspect that this is where there peak torque is so i suspect with your regearing you will be sitting on the top of that torque curve at 100 now. would be really interesting to see a dyno of before and after.

Shan

Amesz00

Adventurer
Truck I used to have was a 649 so the taller 5.71 diffs, and on 11.00r16 which are a shade over 38", ran 2500 @100, seemed perfect for that motor.
The 84 I have now runs 5.29s and 41s, does 2150@100 which actually seems a little too tall.

Aussie Iron

Explorer
Next one is done, this time mine. Finished it up late this afternoon and had enough time to take it for a test run. All is going well.
Candy came and picked her Canter up to get it cleaned and ready for our trip in 2 weeks time so another 400 odd Klms on it. She was saying it is good to drive now as not revving its head off.

Dan.

DzlToy

Explorer
I think that you may have discovered what I have suspected...That 3000rpm is actually past peak torque for the 4.2. when i put bigger tires on mine it seemed to hold 100KPH better. Cant wait for the commercial release of this miracle cure.

I don't think the 4.2 was available in the States, only 3.9 (4D34) and 4.9 (4M50). For the latter, peak torque is flat from 1800 - 2500 and peak HP is about 2700. At 3000 rpm, you are down significantly on both HP and TQ. Further, that is a very inefficient RPM, with regard to volumetric efficiency and brake specific fuel consumption.

I can see huge improvements in fuel economy keeping the RPMs right around 2,000 - 2100.

In the US, it would be cheaper to change the axles to something like a Dana 60 (front) and AAM 11.5 (rear), thus opening the door for multiple gear ratios, axle widths, locker choices, etc. A matching pair can be picked up for $1,000 - $1,500 with some searching. Plus, you can sell the Fuso axles and get your money back.

Aussie Iron

Explorer
We looked at changing axles assemblies or diff ratios but the problem with that is you also effect low range gearing (make it faster) and that was something I wasn't prepared to have. Therefore the only acceptable thing to do was regear high range and in the process end up with a lower ratio for low range as well. This makes low ratio even better. Yes we do use low range for what it is meant for (slow climbing on rough tracks).
We did look at fitting a joey box that could only be selected when in two wheel drive but could not find anything suitable.
Getting RPM down to 2000/2100 is a long way down and I feel that the engine would struggle. I could be proved wrong on that but this is my thought.

Dan.

DzlToy

Explorer
What is the gearing in your transfer case? A mate of mine is "creating" an NPS, since we don't get them here and I have located a medium duty divorced transfer case with a 2.72:1 low range and a 1:1 high range.

Advance Adapters offers their famous Atlas transfer case in several versions including divorced and high torque spec for competition use. After personally seeing what it takes to break an Atlas in competition, I don't think the FG application would stress it, whatsoever.

Ratios are available from 2.7:1 to as low as 11.70:1 in low range. Just something to consider if you want something different or win the Lotto :D

cheers

P.S. several Hilux owners I know have busted 5.29 and 5.71 ring/pinion and went back to 4.10 for strength, then re-geared the transfer case, so that is certainly a viable option as well.

Aussie Iron

Explorer
A bit of information.
Our gearbox standard 5 speed is overdrive in 5th gear :- 0.0722 , 4th gear is direct drive.
Our standard transfer box is :- High range - 1.090 so under drive , Low range - 1.987.
My new gearing for transfer box is :- High range - 0.9166 , Low range - 2.0297.

Dan.

Aussie Iron

Explorer
An Update.
We are back from our trip - speedo says 5413 klms (3,363 miles) for me. Candy will have traveled a bit further as she went back home to Yandina.

About 60 hours in low range (in the range of 620K's / 385M's ). This was run over every type of terrain from climbing up steep/rocky tracks to runs in the sand along the beach. An average of 10 Kph, so yes some was really slow when we were climbing or descending (a lot of this was in 1st and 2nd gear ) to runs in 4th and 5th still in low range along better tracks and the beach.
The rest of the trip being in high range. What a dream to drive, no more pushing the engine trying to keep it at 100 Kph.

Fuel economy is better (with 500K's between fills) twice we went just over 15.2 litres/100K's. Never had that before and no I wasn't babying it as I wanted to be able to travel at 100Kph. I don't have Candy's figures as yet but can tell you that when we filled her amount was not much different to mine. We did have one section where we used 22 litres/100 but I can tell you it was steep and rugged in there (low range).

Now I need to find the time to remove the side covers from the transfer cases and visually inspect the gears. After this I will be happy.

Am I happy with my regearing ?
YES.
Dan.

alan

Explorer
An Update.
We are back from our trip - speedo says 5413 klms (3,363 miles) for me. Candy will have traveled a bit further as she went back home to Yandina.

About 60 hours in low range (in the range of 620K's / 385M's ). This was run over every type of terrain from climbing up steep/rocky tracks to runs in the sand along the beach. An average of 10 Kph, so yes some was really slow when we were climbing or descending (a lot of this was in 1st and 2nd gear ) to runs in 4th and 5th still in low range along better tracks and the beach.
The rest of the trip being in high range. What a dream to drive, no more pushing the engine trying to keep it at 100 Kph.

Fuel economy is better (with 500K's between fills) twice we went just over 15.2 litres/100K's. Never had that before and no I wasn't babying it as I wanted to be able to travel at 100Kph. I don't have Candy's figures as yet but can tell you that when we filled her amount was not much different to mine. We did have one section where we used 22 litres/100 but I can tell you it was steep and rugged in there (low range).

Now I need to find the time to remove the side covers from the transfer cases and visually inspect the gears. After this I will be happy.

Am I happy with my regearing ?
YES.
Dan.

Glad to hear all went well Dan!! look forward to some pic's:smiley_drive:

canter tourer

Adventurer
An Update.
What a dream to drive, .

Not a quote often attributable to a canter, certainly sounds like a great work out for the gears, nothing like field testing equipment to find any flaws.

You've certainly got me intrigued with the prospect of greater overall driveability.
Dave

Aussie Iron

Explorer
Finally had time to do the visual inspection on the gears by removing the side plate of the transfer case. AND all good, oil is still clean with no debris on the magnetic plug. Checked the back lash on the gears while I had side of.

DSCF3373a.jpg DSCF3380a.jpg

Okay pricing :-
Gears $5.500.00 This price may come down if more sets are cut at the same time.
Mod to Transfer Case 1200.00 This ended up being twice what they originally quoted before I started getting the gears cut. I'm now looking for someone else.
Bearings and seals 240.00 Didn't replace all the bearings but did all the seals.
My Time ? There is a lot of time spent on calculating what we needed in gearing and getting around to talking to Gear Cutters on what we wanted to do and finding
someone that wanted to take on the project. Found a good one who is also into 4WD touring -- Not Canters, there too slow but now has a change of heart.

Is it worth doing? Yes, it certainly is a lot better to drive on the highway and will pay for itself in the long run.
The gears I can get made and ship out (even to the states, sorry you pay the freight). The mod for the case is simple enough, it's just finding someone to do it. I would let you know what needs to be done. The job of replacing the gears can be done sitting under the vehicle and on a whole is not complicated.

My farm Canter is going to get a new lease in life and get a set of gears and will be put back on the road to replace my tray back Cruiser.
Dan.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles