Canter Regearing.

Aussie Iron

Explorer
Please wait.

Dan.

It is being worked on.

Dan.

I said it was being worked on and we are now in production of a new set of gears for the transfer case of our Canter. Hopefully the first ones will be ready by mid May and we will be fitting them to Candy's and My Canter for testing. We have another trip coming up which will be a good test for them.

I'll go into a little detail on what we have achieved :- A 16% increase in high range gearing and a 2% decrease in low range gearing. There will be a mod done to the transfer case to fit them in.

Yes this would make our Canters faster but that is not what we have been looking for. We should be able to get better fuel economy because we are dropping 500 rpm at 100kph. This in fact takes our motors into the power band area (and there's not much of that "power") and at least be able to move with the traffic instead of holding them up. There is a lot of overlap in the gearbox of low and high range and I can not see a problem with having lowered low range. Quite the opposite, it will make it crawl better so we don't beat it over rougher terrain.

Dan.

steve4wdaus

4WDaus "tralia"
Hi Dan
Interesting modification. The additional 16% will certainly give you some legs. Possibly the biggest hurdle will be the 16% increase in the difference between 3rd and 4th gear. I look forward to adding your experience.
Regards
Steve

Aussie Iron

Explorer
Hi Dan
Interesting modification. The additional 16% will certainly give you some legs. Possibly the biggest hurdle will be the 16% increase in the difference between 3rd and 4th gear. I look forward to adding your experience.
Regards
Steve

Sorry but there is no increase in the difference between 3rd and 4th, it is all just high range.

Dan.

steve4wdaus

4WDaus "tralia"
Sorry but there is no increase in the difference between 3rd and 4th, it is all just high range.

Dan.

Hi Dan, yeah I wasn't real clear on that post, understand there will be 16% overall increase in all high range gears. When we increasde tyre diameter from the originals to the Toyo 19.5s we gave ourselves a little more legs on the open road, but it had a negative affect of reducing our hill climbing ability. We found this most evident when we were trying to accelerate on a hill and sometimes we can not accelerate and climb out of 3rd gear (changing to 4th). Being the full 6 tonnes does not help our cause. From. Memory when we saw your truck it was quite light, this should be in your favour.
Good luck with the project
Regards
Steve

Aussie Iron

Explorer
Hi Dan, yeah I wasn't real clear on that post, understand there will be 16% overall increase in all high range gears. When we increasde tyre diameter from the originals to the Toyo 19.5s we gave ourselves a little more legs on the open road, but it had a negative affect of reducing our hill climbing ability. We found this most evident when we were trying to accelerate on a hill and sometimes we can not accelerate and climb out of 3rd gear (changing to 4th). Being the full 6 tonnes does not help our cause. From. Memory when we saw your truck it was quite light, this should be in your favour.
Good luck with the project
Regards
Steve

Okay I get what you are referring to. Maybe you need to try and lighten it or maybe chip it.
That is right we are a lot lighter and the turbo is going to help when we get it finished. We will be testing without turbo on mine to start.
There is a big jump in gearing between 2nd and 3rd, 3rd to 4th and 4th to 5th is pretty much the same difference. We relies that at times we will need to use 1st gear to move off but we will see.

Dan.

steve4wdaus

4WDaus "tralia"
Hi Dan, next week (hopefully) I am fitting a 3 inch exhaust brake and muffler. I am hopeful that may have a positive affect.
Chat soon
Steve

steve4wdaus

4WDaus "tralia"
Thanks guys for the info. Not expecting a huge difference, but a little increase in punch would be nice.
Cheers
Steve

Aussie Iron

Explorer
There here. As some of you may know I took my Canter for a test drive to try out my Turbo and in the process pick up my new transfer case gears.

DSCF3327b.jpg
New gears on the right of pairs (that puts old gears on left).
Am now organizing getting the mod done on the case. Should be good.

Dan.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles