The first step is admitting you have a problem.

Buffalobwana

Observer
Hi, I'm Buffalobwana and I like trailers. All kinds and types.

And trucks and tractors too. But that's for another session.

I have to take a break from my very important expedition trailer build to go pick up my latest impulse buy. A Turtle Mountain M105A2. It's one heavy trailer, so it's not likely to be turned into an expedition camping trailer unless I pull the box off and sell the chassis. Which is a real possibility. 8 bolts hold the box on. A 1 hour job I am told. There is a pic floating around the net with an M1101 or 1102 with a nice "truck looking" topper on it. I'm weighing my options with this one. If not for this, I'll use it to haul cottonseed.

Here is the new acquisition.

IMG_2337_zpsljgylsis.jpg

IMG_2339_zpslymqsofd.jpg

IMG_2363_zpsokqtpu5e.jpg

The truth is I think I bought it so I would have a reason to buy a suitable tow vehicle for it. And what better vehicle than an M923A2? I want this truck in a bad way.

IMG_2654_zpsuyjlyofu.jpg

IMG_2655_zpszk6embli.jpg

Buffalobwana

Observer
Now that is one serious camping truck. They have two models. Cargo bed and box or "van" as they call it.

If I can parlay this trailer buy into a 5 ton 6x6 (yep, that's right, it's a 6x6!) I gotta make a camper out of the box. That would be one sweet build!

Yep. I have a problem. But I am enjoying my addictions.

Buffalobwana

Observer
Hmm, the wife approved the truck. That is the first major hurdle in the quest for a truly ridiculously insane vehicle.

Two potential vehicles have been located. Both 1000 miles away (well, it will seem like it) Florida and Idaho. I'm in TX.

An expedition is in the works. I will start a thread in the appropriate category describing what we have come up with to get the vehicle home.

Buffalobwana

Observer
I committed to buy one in Idaho, I sent the man a check today. Here we go! It's going to be quite the expedition getting it home. I'll post the plans in the appropriate forum, but, let's just say, it will be a road trip of epic proportions if our plans work out! This is going to be more than just a road trip. (details to come)

Wow, an impulse buy of a trailer leads to the purchase of a new truck and a 10-day trans-US expedition!

tanks

That's awesome. Excited to see pics and your impressions of the truck when you get it and what you do with it! I want one desperately to convert into an expedition camper.

Buffalobwana

Observer
Ok, so now a story. I'll keep it very short and to the point.

25th - Committed to the 5-ton M923A2. I Wired the money, it's mine. It's also 1700 miles away. More on this later. This turns out to be a good thing.

26th - Picked up the M105A2 trailer. Really a sweet trailer, heavy, but solid and quiet for a pintle hitch, and pulls really great. Driving home I have an idea, a big idea (I didn't know how big until now).

Called a buddy who lives 50 miles from this trucks home in Idaho and asked him if he wanted to be a part of this idea.

"I'm in." was all he could say. I'd ask him over and over. It's going to be hard. Lots of work. "I'm in."

Ok. A 1700 mile road trip is planned, but not just any road trip. A very special one.

So after a week and a few days, it has snowballed into this enormous project.

Me and my buddy started a fundraiser called "The Mission 22 Truck". We are an independent fundraiser for the Veteran Charity Mission 22. I will post a detailed description in the appropriate forum and a link here so you can find it, but here is a snapshot of what has happened in just the last week. You get the idea.

So, an expedition trailer build, turns into a trailer purchase that turns into this.

Funny how stuff works out.

IMG_3093_zpsbdmdynbp.png

Buffalobwana

Observer
I definitely have a problem.

Since the 105A2 isn't really a pickup truck friendly trailer, (The 5-ton can pull that one around) I bid on a couple more and "won" them (how is it a win if you have to pay for them and all the fees???) Anyway, I really think I did "win" I like them both a lot. :wings:

Trailer #1 - M1101 I really wanted an 1101 or 1102. They are such sweet trailers for a full sized 3/4 ton. There was one up for auction on Wednesday, and I won it. It's in very good shape and has what looks like brand new tires on it. I can see whiskers between the treads and on the edge. Looks like a new tarp? Can't tell. It's folded up in the bed with side plates and bows.

I would like to take this trailer and Monstaliner it tan. That would look so cool! We will see. Apparently I have a lot of projects going on.

(stock photo of one like mine with the tarp and bows up)
IMG_3064_zps4lsdwh5q.jpg

This one is mine.

IMG_2978_zpsqdi9a4sq.jpg

IMG_2999_zpszilwiwxs.jpg

Trailer #2 - 101A2 Also a great pickup truck trailer ... except this one held a surprise. If you didn't scroll through all the pictures, you wouldn't know that this one is an enclosed trailer! Brand new tires, probably never seen a road. Some rust here and there, but the inside of the box looks used, but, no dents, just like it carried stuff that lay up against the sides. I bet it was used a few times, but the shell looks very straight and strong!

Very please about the possibilities with this one.

IMG_3019_zpsugj7chc5.jpg

IMG_3040_zpsmteuio1g.jpg

IMG_3042_zpsmlhuvvmg.jpg

IMG_3042_zpsmlhuvvmg.jpg

I don't know what I am going to do with this one. I still have to go pick them both up (different locations) And I have to fly to Idaho to film the promo video for the Mission 22 Truck on Tuesday.

Anyway. I clearly have a problem. But at least my problem has assets that have worth! Could be worse. :bike_rider:

Last edited:

Buffalobwana

Observer
You know this is literally your fault. Here is why.

4 years ago you sent me a picture of an expedition trailer. I thought, "That is badazz. I must have one."

So, I start searching and seeing all these awesome trailers, then you said, "Hey, check out expo."

I did and then a trailer stated constructing itself in my garage.

While searching for ideas I found this site that auctions off military stuff. Who doesn't like that? So I signed up and started bidding ... and winning.

So, it all started with a seed planted in my head. One you planted.

So now as a direct result, I have 3.5 cool trailers, (I can't blame all the other trailers on you) and one 5 ton truck and a huge fundraising operation aimed at preventing Veteran suicide.

Thanks buddy!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior