Landcruiser - how much is too much mileage to buy?

mr45

Observer
Hi, first post here. Lurker and recent purchaser of a horizon trailer from a member.

I currently own a 2011 Chevy 2wd, with auto rear diff locker. Just paid off w/ 59,000 miles. It's the main family car and we also own a 4wd 4Runner. With 3kids in car seats I can't use the 4Runner on trips. So I'm thinking of purchasing a used landcruiser for 4wd or just getting another Tahoe 4wd but I will have to dump the current Tahoe. Only a few are around, 2003 the newest with about 140000-160000 miles. What's too old to buy. Are sequoia ok for mild to moderate overlanding. Be gentle, I'm a newbe. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MrWesson

Adventurer
I'd personally go with the Lexus GX470 or Sequoia over the Land Cruiser for family hauling/moderate off road.

The land cruiser is killer as an off road rig for the family but its a trade off vehicle for being tough as nails for the bush(tradeoff is typically MPG due to weight/full time 4wd).

The GX470 will handle a surprising amount of terrain, Great 4wd system(A-trac) has a good power to weight ratio as a daily driver, a bit more compact for parking, luxurious inside, decent MPG, very reliable, and reasonably priced. I also like that when comparing it to a 4 runner they have 3 rows as standard and all have 4wd. They have an annoying rear swinging door though.

The Sequoia might even be a better choice as it will still handle most reasonable 4x4 trails in stock form and have even more room inside as the kids get bigger and want their own space.

It would be my choice as a all around 4wd family hauler IF I wasn't interested in actually wanting to "wheel" it. I consider wheeling finding difficult terrain for the hell of it and picking hard lines/putting your vehicle to the test. IMO this differs from overlanding where the object is to travel to far off destinations(there's almost always an easier path/easier line on the trail).

If you want to play on the rocks and look for difficult terrain then I think the land cruiser is the clear winner but they don't depreciate much so the buy in can be high(but you wont lose either). Cant really speak to mileage other than most seem to make it to 300k either because they are amazing or owners tend to be "enthusiasts" and take better care of them. I'd want one at or below 200k and i'd expect to spend 15k for it.

If you want a milder rig to explore trails and camp then the GX470 may be easier to manage due to size(and fit the kids/cheaper to buy and nicer around town). Mileage in the high 90k or low 100k would be easily doable for 15k(I almost bought one for 9k with 127k miles). These tend to last a long time as well. I'd expect 250k miles from a well maintained one. As a bonus most people including myself think they are better looking than any of the other Toyota SUV's in a conventional "my wife loves it" kind of way.

If you want a family hauler that can handle the above but is going to be bulky and not have much of an aftermarket i'd go with the Sequoia. You can get them much cheaper, with lower miles and they are insanely reliable from what i've seen.

Value per $ IMO is a used 4wd Sequoia which also has the A-trac system on the GX470. If I was in your situation i'd lightly modify it and have something that is very versatile being roomy for expo, comfortable @ towing, good off road(not great but good), tons of space for kids, space for home depot runs, etc.

Last edited:

purdytj

seeker
With 3kids in car seats I can't use the 4Runner on trips.

I'm also interested in something with 3 rows as we have 3 kids in carseats: ages 5, 3, and almost 1. We'd like to be able to bring friends or other family members along for camping trips and jaunts around town.

For our city car - a 2009 Subaru Impreza WRX - we actually fit 3 carseats across. We had to buy a trio of Diono Radian carseats, which are guaranteed to fit 3 across. I don't want to spoil your truck shopping fun, but $900 in carseats is still cheaper than a new rig :)

AK.xplorer

Observer
mr45

I find the mileage and age of a Land Cruiser, should be something each individual should contrast to his budget, mechanical competence, skill set, and tolerance for bs.

Everyone is different. For you having a monster pile of little ones in car seats, your time may be best spent, aiming for convenience and low miles. There will be less time or money in a mechanic's shop, and less time for you in the your personal garage. With that paid premium of convenience, you could spend more TIME with the little ones, as they grow up too fast. 140,000-160,000 is nothing for a Land Cruiser. I consider that low miles.

mr45

Observer
I'm also interested in something with 3 rows as we have 3 kids in carseats: ages 5, 3, and almost 1. We'd like to be able to bring friends or other family members along for camping trips and jaunts around town.

For our city car - a 2009 Subaru Impreza WRX - we actually fit 3 carseats across. We had to buy a trio of Diono Radian carseats, which are guaranteed to fit 3 across. I don't want to spoil your truck shopping fun, but $900 in carseats is still cheaper than a new rig :)

Never hear of those car seats thanks. I my kids are 4, 6, and 9. My wife prefers britax seats thus the Tahoe with rear captains chair. I'll look into those - and perhaps we can just use the 4 runner for off the beaten path camping.

mr45

Observer
mr45

I find the mileage and age of a Land Cruiser, should be something each individual should contrast to his budget, mechanical competence, skill set, and tolerance for bs.

Everyone is different. For you having a monster pile of little ones in car seats, your time may be best spent, aiming for convenience and low miles. There will be less time or money in a mechanic's shop, and less time for you in the your personal garage. With that paid premium of convenience, you could spend more TIME with the little ones, as they grow up too fast. 140,000-160,000 is nothing for a Land Cruiser. I consider that low miles.

Thanks for the mileage reference. My Tahoe is only 58k miles so jumping to 140k is almost mind boggling and not the norm.
I think I can get around 26k for my Tahoe.

I've read 2003 or later is what to get for LC. Is the same true for the lx470?

mr45

Observer
f85a215107822ba2e37a8170134d37ec.jpg

So after a long search and thinking, I stumbled across my new rig. I traded in my 2011 Tahoe with 59k miles for a unmolested 05 lx450 with 84k miles. It was odd to go from a new rig to an old but I already like it better. Only issue is the ac only works on max cold....

It'll be a slow build since some maintenance stuff will be done. Already started with a hitch to pull the horizon trailer, k&n air filter, serpentine belt, then all terrain tires, and removing the side steps.

What are you guys using to lube your u joints? Anyone know how to add an auxiliary line to the stock radio? Google is pointing me mainly to gx topics.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ExPo4Runner

Land Cruiser Fanatic
Do yourself a favor and go sign up on IH8MUD. It is a great land cruiser community that has all the answers to your questions! My username is DirtDawg over there.

wolfcw1

I went from a 2014 Tacoma DC TRD OR with about 9k miles to a 2003 LC with 183k and it's the first vehicle I've owned (and I've owned a lot) where some days I just want to take it out despite the crappy mpg vs our other vehicle. Plan on enjoying it for a long time.

toylandcruiser

Expedition Leader
Thanks for the mileage reference. My Tahoe is only 58k miles so jumping to 140k is almost mind boggling and not the norm.
I think I can get around 26k for my Tahoe.

I've read 2003 or later is what to get for LC. Is the same true for the lx470?

It's a Toyota, you have nothing to worry about.

f85a215107822ba2e37a8170134d37ec.jpg

It was odd to go from a new rig to an old but I already like it better.

Only issue is the ac only works on max cold....

What are you guys using to lube your u joints?

Old...it's a 2005! That's old? I get what you mean. It's just funny.

A/C only works on max or the fan only blows on high? If the former, then maybe it needs a re-charge. If the latter, it is probably the fan / blower resistor.

Grease for u-joints is pretty flexible. I use black lube, some use red lube. Either way, unless the vehicle sits for long periods (when water can seep into the joint caps) it's not really critical. A lot of cars and trucks these days don't even have greaseable u-joints so the fact that Toyotas are so cool that they have grease fittings is a plus.

MarcFJ60

Adventurer
You won't be disappointed. Nothing wrong with a Tahoe, but I think you'll find the ownership experience of owning a Land Cruiser with 100K more miles to be eye opening (for the better). When I bought my 80 series, I initially thought of it as a play vehicle. It soon replaced my Explorer even though it had 80K more miles. It was far more reliable.

If the size meets your needs, the 100 series is the ideal SUV, IMO. And with the 2005, you got the good engine too!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier