Opinions On Running a Hood Shield/Bug Deflector

haolepinoy

Incomplete Idiot
04 monty hood.jpeg

When I was looking for a Gen. 3 Montero I noticed a few that had hood shields installed, some of which appeared to be OEM (they had "Montero" printed on the driver-side). Considering how upright the windshield is on these vehicles, and how my hood already has a few rock chips, I am flirting with getting one.

For those running them, do they keep the windshield relatively clear of bugs? I saw that AVS makes one, but does anyone know where to find the "OEM" version?

Oh, and do they add hp and improve mpg!? ...just kidding.

Thanks.

KyleT

Explorer
I had an OEM one on my 03. No difference as far as I could tell. It faded purple so I pulled it off, it then fell over in the garage and broke in two. Sooo brittle. These trucks do catch bugs and rocks though. Not as bad as a disco or fj cruiser though.

Also had a funky wind dam over the sunroof. I pulled it off tonight as it was tinted purple too. Blocked more than half the opening. Same material and fit was pretty good. No pic though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Happykamper

Explorer
Seriously lol. Do you like it ? If so run it :) . If not rip that puppet off. Does not matter what anyone else thinks. Or at least it shouldn't !

haolepinoy

Incomplete Idiot
Seriously lol. Do you like it ? If so run it :) . If not rip that puppet off. Does not matter what anyone else thinks. Or at least it shouldn't !

jerk.jpg

I don't give two shakes about how they look or what people think of them if they don't do anything. I just wanna know if they work.

jhill15

Explorer
View attachment 341496

I don't give two shakes about how they look or what people think of them if they don't do anything. I just wanna know if they work.
I had one on my 03, it worked great. Plus I had some rust on the front of the hood so it covered it up nicely!
533f69246e9925215e9a119ed8812b2a.jpg

Sent from my LG-H900 using Tapatalk

KyleT

Explorer
Now you got two opinions, mine that it didn't do much and jhill who liked his.

50/50 split.

I mainly removed mine because it was purple. Not because function or not.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

haolepinoy

Incomplete Idiot
I will let you guys know if I pick one up for the hood. It won't be anytime soon as I'm still chasing previous owner gremlins and trying to get the rig ready for our first family camping trip...we're leaving Wednesday for five days. Should be fun.

That sunroof deflector looks good, but good Lord...$175 is steep.

JPsLC

Observer
I have one on my Landcruiser 100 series and notice less bus make it to the windshield versus Cherokee that find all the bugs.

RyanY

Adventurer
My 95 had a Mitsubishi accessory bug shield on it when I got it. Eventually it developed a crack so I removed it - didn't notice any difference in the number of bugs hitting the windshield.

earljuic3

Adventurer
It was a dealer option you could add when new. One of our monteros has all of them and I wont be taking them off unless they break. They do work.

Sent from my LG-V410 using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz