Steel frame with skin? What material choices?

buba1

We are a family of 2 adults, 2 kids.
I wanted to have a truck camper that does not look like a camper (city parking bylaws) and that can be removed by 2 people. I only care about sleeping, no cooking, no sitting, no bathroom, no shower in my camper.

Initially went the route of a truck canopy/topper and build 2 double bunk beds in there. One double mattress in the truck bed and the second double mattress on a wood frame bed above with 4 legs.
Height wise - kind of tight and claustrophobic.

Last winter, I decided to build a truck shell/canopy/topper from a steel frame, 47 inches high. Attached to the truck bed, on the bed rails with aluminum clamps.
Kept it light, about 70-80 kg, 2 people can take it down, move it in the garage.
Frame has tabs, where the skin can be attached with bolts.
Frame can also be used as a kayaks frame, ladder frame etc.

Skin is made of plywood: 2 sides, one front, one back and a roof. Skin is removable and can be attached to the frame with bolts in about 15 minutes.
I have not driven the truck with everything built on it, yet.
Looking for other suggestions, please, for the skin or water sealing the ends.
If I were to keep the plywood, should I just paint this with outdoor paint?
How about insulation glued to the inside of the skin? What option would you go with? Cheap and lightweight insulation...

My biggest concern is water sealing the frame, right now I used a closed cell sealer tape attached to the plywood where it touches the metal frame.
Thanks for helpresized_1.jpgresized_2.jpgresized_3.jpg

Last edited:

boxcar1

boxcar1
R-Tech ridged insulation would be my advice for insulation. Available at Home Depot.
Looks like your panels attach in such a way as to leave the chassis exposed when installed.
That and the pass through tubes on all corners would make the use of .040 aluminum tough to seal.
With a bit of re-work on the chassis, that would be the way I'd go though.

buba1

Chassis is not exposed, completely covered by skin.
Any idea what glue to use to attach the RTech to plywood?

boxcar1

boxcar1
Gorilla glue makes a great construction adhesive. I just used it for the first time while rebuilding my son in-laws vintage camper.
I like it allot and will be utilizing it on my next build.

boxcar1

boxcar1
Liquid nails will harden to a brittle consistency that will fail. The Gorilla glue stays very pliable when set.

buba1

Funny that you mention glue

I had to glue my roof out of two pieces of plywood and a 3rd on top that keeps them together.
I used Titebond III because I read on various forums that it is the best.
It did not work at all. I glued, let it sit an hour and picked up the pieces the same as they were - unglued.
Then just used normal wood glue, as in cheapo one that comes in a gallon. Still holds 2 months later.
I might have left the Titebond in my car when I bought it one night at -20Celsius, but still does not justify...

boxcar1

boxcar1
The problem with honeycomb panels is that one must use the correct extrusions that are designed for the particular panel or design a fastening system that wont crush the panel at all of the fastening points.
This can be challenging and labor intensive.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior