The cost of big tires - Is it worth it?

adam88

Explorer
I know I cannot be the only one who wonders this. I have a 2006 F250 and as it gets ready for its build, I am conflicted as to whether or not to put bigger tires on it. When I add up the costs of doing so, I am getting numbers in the "5 digits" (e.g., well over $10,000) to do it properly. And even then, I would have to make sacrifices. On the one hand, I see builds like the Turtle V which is one of the more legendary builds. It has 41" tires and has travelled the globe. Obviously Gary and Monika Wescott think that this is needed, and I wouldn't doubt them. You also see builds like the earthroamer which have the same tires and it can't help but make you drool.
On the same hand, you've got folks like Drive Nacho Drive, who travelled the globe in their little tiny Westfalia, proving that you really don't need oversized tires to have a good time and see the world.
To have bigger tires, and do it properly, I figure I would need:
- Suspension Lift (The best ones, like Icon and Carli, go for $3000 to $4000 or more. I know there's cheaper options, but they would be worse than stock)
- Wheels/Tires (I figure $4,000 for 5 new wheels and tires)
- ARB lockers, compressor and new axle gear ratio (Probably $4,000, because no point in having big tires without lockers)
That's $12,000. BUT, even if I cut corners, and went with a cheaper lift, cheaper lockers, cheaper tires, etc., I figure it would still reasonably cost me about $10,000 to go to 37" tires.
But that is not the only cost. With bigger tires comes:
- Reduced fuel mileage
- A higher cost of replacement on the tires (they don't last as long, and cost more to replace)
- Higher repair costs (parts break more easily)
- Reduced on road manners and higher COG
And also, it would be hard to do all these modifications without wanting to do other modifications, such as having a front bumper and winch, which seems almost mandatory for a big truck with big tires (all the cool kids are doing it). So add in another $4,000 for a front bumper with a winch. That brings the total to $14,000 to $16,000, or more, at least the way I would want to do it.
So, what does everyone here on expo think? I know there's a lot of folks out there who have already done the big tires thing. Would you do it again? If so, would you try and cut costs to do it cheap, or cut corners anywhere? Or in your mind do you either do it properly, or not do it at all? What do you think, are big tires worth the cost?

pappawheely

Autonomous4X4
Cheap is such an ugly word; I prefer inexpensive. :) Are your feet important? Your tires are the only thing making contact with the ground. That makes them critical in every dynamic, steering, traction, and braking. In my opinion, I prefer the feeling of stability, increased footprint and flotation that big tires give me. Are there downsides? Yes, you covered them. It comes down to personal preference and budget but I think it's a valid investment.

UHAULER

Explorer
Everyone should do what is right for them. I have an 02 f350 with just a leveling kit and run a 295/75/16, about 33" tall. I would like to put on 35's, but I think it should be regeared . You could easily run a 33-34" tall tire without any lift. A little more traction and flotation from bigger tires helps. Stock tires are about the same size as those on mid size suv's, except you truck might weigh 8-10,000 lbs.

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
There is very little gain running oversized tires.

Especially for the average joe, who spends much more time on the blacktop than otherwise.

I know with my setup and big camper, the only reason Id ever go with larger rubber would be if/when I went for a 19.5 conversion.

Doing that fits the truck with tires that have a chance of lasting more than 40-50k. As in 80k+

THAT I see as a worthwhile investment, simply with regards to tire life.

toymaster

Explorer
I have a 2006 F250 .......... I see builds like the Turtle V which is one of the more legendary builds. It has 41" tires and has traveled the globe. What do you think, are big tires worth the cost?

Big tires are worth the cost if you can afford them and need them. If you can't afford them then they are not worth the cost and you don't need them. It comes down to 'you have to pay to play'.

The Turtle V is an F550, the rear axle is rated for 13,500lbs. The smallest tire with a weight rating of ~6,900lbs is the 41" continental you see. An earthroamer is the same story. They are built to haul that type of weight. An F250 does not need that type of tire. F250 rear axle is rated for ~6,830lbs. I dare say any rim made to fit an F250 and most any truck tire will get you a 3,415lb rating.

My advice is build to suit a purpose, not for looks. I run 35" on my F350, 37" on my JK, and 41" on my F550 and stock size on my Subaru. Each is a different tool in the toolbox for a different purpose.

v_man

Explorer
If you're starting point for this discussion is "$12,000 is a lot of money to spend on vehicle modifications" then those mods are not for you . First , $12,000 is a drop in the bucket to some , the new 4Runner is what $36,000 ? a new Raptor is $46,000....you could argue , why even go off road at all? why even own a vehicle with public transportation , Uber, two legs etc...

The money you put into the vehicle allows you to have the type of experiences you want out of the vehicle , wether it's the Mojave Road , or the Rubicon, or haul your five kids to soccer....

Hobbies usually aren't cheap , that's why we work hard, earn a living , and enjoy our pursuits . The approx. $15-$18,000 I've put into my truck have afforded me and my family experiences that are priceless ...

dumprat

Adventurer
Often times we are better thinking in terms of "what can I get to replace a damaged tire in far away places"

If you have sponsors, air support, and run military spec tires you can run whatever you like.

In the real world the more common sized tires that will fit without a huge lift are probably best. If you damage two tires in somewhere like Mackenzie BC on a Wednesday you can get a 315-70-17 by Thursday morning. An XML in a 41x20 might be weeks away.

PJorgen

Desert Dweller
I took a mid-range approach. My truck, 2012 GMC 2500HD came with 20" blingy-chrome wheels. Knew I had to get rid of those so went with 18" wheels and 305/60/18 tires. Overall tire diameter is same as stock so no need to re-gear. However, the 305s are flotation tires so I can run lower pressures and air down even more when I'm offroad. Total cost was about $2500.

Maybe you could look for a slightly smaller tire that will get you what you want without having to lift, re-gear, etc.

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
Hobbies usually aren't cheap , that's why we work hard, earn a living , and enjoy our pursuits . The approx. $15-$18,000 I've put into my truck have afforded me and my family experiences that are priceless ...

A hobby is one thing.

A lifestyle is another thing entirely.

Those of us that are into this for more than just a hobby actually weight the cost of mods using that pesky cost-benefit-analysis .

Its all about the end game, and how finances can be applied intelligently. Hence threads like this. ;)

Would I spend $18k in mods? Not in this lifetime.

To put things into perspective...

$18k of diesel can get me down the road more than 120,000 miles.

ExplorerTom

Explorer
There is very little gain running oversized tires.

That statement by itself is tough to defend on this forum.

Especially for the average joe, who spends much more time on the blacktop than otherwise.

That statement saved it.

Big tires are completely dependent on where you want to go. I have 33s on my shorter wheelbase (compared to your full sized trucks) Explorer and I think 35s would be perfect for the terrain I see. It's very rocky out here and larger tires help to make rocks seem smaller.

33s on a long wheelbase vehicle could lead to a lot of scraping of the undercarriage.

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
Without a definition of what constitutes "big tires" this discussion is hard to have. And it's changed over time. When I got my 1990 Montero in 1992, it had 235/75/15's - that's a 29" tire. It did OK but I never really pushed it that hard off road (Hole-in-the-rock trail was the toughest trail I did and I didn't make it up to the top of Gray Mesa on that trip - mostly due to inadequate tires.)
Back then I remember thinking that 33" tires were HUGE (and on my Monty would have required a pretty decent lift kit.) By 2000, 30 - 31" tires were standard on mid-sized SUVs and 32 - 33 was common on full sized trucks and SUVs. From that point, 33's aren't much of a leap at all.
However, I still think of anything larger than 33's as a "big tire" that would most likely require an extensive suspension mods (diff drop, UCAs or LCA's, etc) and most likely regearing. Furthermore, I've noticed that tire prices start to skyrocket after 33" sizes.
So I would say if by "big tires" you mean anything 35" and larger, then IMO they are more for purpose-built, mission-dedicated ExPo vehicles (IOW not a multi-purpose or Soccer Mom car that also gets used for camping trips) or for rock crawlers that get trailered to the trail head.
For my personal use I can't think of a reason to go bigger than 33" for my Suburban (either 285/75/16 or 295/75/16) and on my 4runner I was quite content to run 32's (265/70/17.)
Incidentally, speaking of cost, one way to pinch pennies is to go from 17" or 18" wheels down to 16's, if your vehicle will support them (depends on the size and configuration of the brakes mostly.) I calculated that going from 17's to 16's on my 'Burb will save me around $200 on a set of 4 tires when I upgrade later this year, which is more than enough to pay the $140 it cost me to get the 16's (and consider that I can sell my existing 17's for at least $150, I'm assuming.)

Ducky's Dad

Explorer
To get good advice, OP needs to tell us which version of the F250 he has, how its geared, how he plans to use it, what he's carrying or towing, etc.

Or he could just get a 3G Power Wagon and slap on some 35" or 37" Toyos, usually no suspension mods required. Done.

offthepath

Adventurer
A big, long wheel base vehicle is really helped by getting up in the air a little, otherwise its hanging up in the middle on every ledge.

Key word is a little....with the 250 a leveling kit should be plenty to clear 305 or 315. The tires can use the stock rims and the leveling kit is not more than 500 (guessing but) and that would give you a really good stance that is still usable.

There you go:ylsmoke:, lifted with tires for under 2k and it will do as much or more than some sky jacked 6in rig.

Im assuming its diesel in which case you'll be fine not re-gearing I suppose it could be different if gas....

Last edited:

topher800

I went from 31" to 35" tires. No lift, or other mods required. No change in diesel mileage.

$1,000 for 5 rims off eBay. $1,200 for 4 Toyo OC AT II.

$1,200 for Fox shocks. I recommend good suspension.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz