Three-across seating in a Fuso 4x4?

4milesurfer

Anyone have luck figuring out a three-across seating solution? The stock flip up center seat is not a great ride after a few hours. We're a family of three - if I don't figure out a solution, I'll be touring by myself soon...

kerry

Expedition Leader
I've offered my wife a suspension seat but she prefers the OE seat. We drove three across from CO to the tip of Newfoundland and back. Maybe a Sprinter dual passenger seat setup?

deathbywanderlust

Scientist/ Adventurer
What is your truck set up like? Crawl thru/ no crawl thru? We are only two people in our Fuso FG but we made a middle seat for our dog (which is def a different situation- but we do buckle him in)... if you are talking about a small child you could probably make it work. If you have good shocks like Radflow you could prob do a non air-ride seat. Since adding our shocks we barely ever use the air. Three adults would be tricky though just because of the lack of leg room in the middle.

Decanter

Adventurer
I'm working on air seats for the left and right passengers and a child compatible suspension seat for the middle. It's definitely possible. There are suitable mounting points for child latches.

Butch1979

Family Adventurer
We are just running the stock seats with our kiddo in the middle. She is only 4, so she doesn't know the difference.

4milesurfer

here's a little more into - we do have a pass-through behind the middle seat. My son is a tall 6-yr old and getting taller every day. The suspension's been modified (new leaf springs/shocks, larger tires). I'm also thinking of installing an air-ride suspension soon.

Three-across low ride National seats seem like they'd fit if I fabricate custom brackets (on paper, anyway). It would obviously impair pass-through access.

Last edited:

Herbie

Rendezvous Conspirator
Would love to see pictures of the relative legroom for someone who rides three-abreast. I have dreams of a Fuso, but we're also a family of three, and this has been an ongoing dealbreaker for us...

Decanter

Adventurer
Great photos on your instagram site, Decanter. Will a third Knoedler Extreme Low Rider seat fit in the middle?

Thanks I'm glad you like it. I'll post up the space on here when I get a chance. A third of the same seats won't even come close because the center of the cab floor rises to the middle by about 6" or so. The top of the seat back would hit the roof. However I'm certain any number of spring suspension seats or good racing type of seats (Mastercraft, Cobreau, etc) with a 3 point will fit great. My little guy is 3 so I've been targeting a car seat on top of the middle seat until he gets bigger.

fg4oz

Adventurer
I've had my 3 seater canter for 5 years and my daughter has been travelling in the middle seat all this time. We fitted a safety anchor point (certified) for a harness type seatbelt and she still uses a child seat at 7 years old. She has never complained and we have been everywhere. Being up front has probably given her more interest and she enjoys seeing what we do. I'm glad we stuck with it. Would be good having 3 bucket seats and all with suspension but that's the next truck for us.

ucs308

Observer
Any pictures of your truck? I live in Santa Cruz and am considering my next truck... totally interested in what people are really doing with Fuso 4x4. I have the same problem. We are a family of three - including a 9 year old boy. Currently I am oscillating between a Sprinter, Fuso and...

4milesurfer

Any pictures of your truck? I live in Santa Cruz and am considering my next truck... totally interested in what people are really doing with Fuso 4x4. I have the same problem. We are a family of three - including a 9 year old boy. Currently I am oscillating between a Sprinter, Fuso and...

Hi, UCS308. I keep the truck stored in Hollister. I'll post some pictures the next time I pull it out. In the mean time, a good number of the delivery trucks in Santa Cruz are Mitsubishi Fusos. That's how I scoped them out before I bought a few years back.

ucs308

Observer
Thanks for the response. I was more in how you did the back. Is it a shell, camper, still a flatbed.

4milesurfer

There was a home made shell that I pulled off. I'm considering an XPCube, GXV Pangea-LT Cab Height, or Earthcruiser FX now. I need to solve the three-across seating first.

btw - anyone else notice that Earthcruiser increased their advertised FX base price from $175k to $220k after the Overland Expo? Loaded up price is now north of $270k. Base price without the chassis is now $200k.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles