GMT800 Gas or Diesel ??

escadventure

Adventurer
There must have been a serious difference in gears if your 4.6 felt comparible to a 6.0.
Geared the same a 6.0 should feel much more powerful than the 4.6.

Diesels are great for work trucks, for the average guy who tows maybe 10-15% of the time, a gas engine is a more cost effective investment.

Well, I've got taller tires than stock on the 4.6 so I installed 4.10's. My camper is pretty light - about 1000 pounds so the 4.6 does good. I just don't like it downshifting so much on highway inclines and thought I'd at least explore other possibilities before I put too much work into fine tuning the suspension.

Both the 5.7 semi and the 6.0 downshifted to 2700rpm to maintain 55mph on my test-drive hill. My 4.6 does that. Not saying it's as powerful as those engines but... And it gets 15 mpgs with my load out.

I must say I was enamored by the gobs of power of the Duramax. I barely touched the go pedal and it accelerated up the test-drive hill to 65 mph. Just don't know if it's worth it to have that effortless power.

rayra

Expedition Leader
The only significant difference I'd see between them is whether I needed to tow a lot, in which case I'd get the diesel. And I'd consider farting around with biodiesel.

justcuz

Explorer
I know this may not be too much of a consideration but I do know it gets cold in Northern Nevada. How much of an issue do you think you would have with fuel jelling and cold starts?

Also maintenance and repair items for a diesel are more expensive and a well maintained gas engine will last almost as long as a light duty diesel these days.

Try to find a 6.0 with 4.10s and drive it, I think it would be a more fair comparison. It is hard to revisit the diesel torque though!

Bushcoat

one trail at a time
I try my best to maintain mine, but I know if the 6.0 pukes something catastrophic, I can buy a new long block for less than doing injectors on a duramax.

mmp3823

Observer
If it is the LB7 Duramax engine (2001-2004) then they had injector issues. If it is an 04.5 then it is an LLY which they fixed the injector issues. I own an 05 Duramax and I really like it but I got it for towing. If I didn't use it for towing then I would probably get a gas truck. Gas engines are cheaper to maintain and like others have said these newer engines are lasting longer. The only bad I hear from people that have 6.0s is the gas mileage. I used to have a 1500 with the 5.3 and really liked it. I averaged 15-17mpgs mixed highway/city and it was a real comfortable truck. My wife wishes that we still had it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz