XJ vs WK Expedition Vehicle

boykinjw

I'm sure some variation of this question has been asked on the interwebs but I wanted to present my predicament with you good folks and see if I can make a decision. I have too many cars and the wife is pushing for two things, 1. a newer car for her and 2. kids. She currently drives a stock 2005 Grand Cherokee with 188,000 on the clock and is looking to upgrade. I have as a 3rd vehicle a 1999 Cherokee Sport with 175,000 on the clock that I have built for overland travel (Ill list mods below) that I am happy to keep or sell if needed. I think they are both worth about the same 5k - 6k (both paid for), and I'm looking for some help on deciding which one to sell. I think the smart thing to do is keep the WK, it has more power for towing and it's more comfortable on long rides, but it is IFS. The XJ is so simple it just works and I don't worry about something electrical going wonky. It's slow and heavy but rides really well and I could invest another 3k-5k to get the power where I want it.

What I want to do:
I live on the East coast and will hit National Forest trails on the weekends and like to get up to the Outer Banks to drive on the beach. Here we see mostly forest trail riding with mud and sand with occasional slick clay. I also want to take longer trips out to the west coast and places like Zion and Moab. I like the idea of owning a travel trailer one day if kids are around so I'd like to be able to tow it, though I don't think either of these rigs would be great at it. I don't go through deep mud or water because I don't like wet carpet and I'm trying to tread lightly and be more respectful of the trails. Just looking for a good vehicle to camping with that also has the ability to do some overland trips in relative comfort.

What I Have:
WK.jpg
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee WK
V8 Hemi
QDII
Bilstien Struts/Shocks
245/70/17 AT

XJ.jpg
1999 Jeep Cherokee Sport XJ
4.0 I6
3" OME MD Lift, Shocks and Springs
JKS Trackbar and Quick Disconnects
ARB Front Bumper
Smittybilt 10,000lb Winch w/ Synthetic Rope
Smittybilt rear bumper with Tire Carrier
Aussie Lockers Front and Rear
CB, 1000 Watt Inverter, Light Bar, etc
245/75/16 AT

WK Future Mods:
Some type of winch setup for the front, may include a bumper
Front and rear recovery points
Brake Upgrade
A mild lift hopefully around 2-3"
Skid protection
32" tires

XJ Future Mods:
4.10 Gears
Supercharger

Overland History

Wanderluster
I vote for the XJ, but then again, I'm biased. :D

There is something to be said for simple, and the XJ is just that. Plus, it looks like you've already got a good start on building it.

Instead of a Supercharger, maybe consider building a Stroker out of the 4.0L. You'll get great torque and V8 power. Also, make sure you've got a large transmission cooler if you've got the AW4.

The 4.10 gears will greatly increase your power, mileage, towing and crawling capabilities. I would advise a selectable(air or electric) locker for the rear axle if you're planning on towing a trailer.

Thats my opinion, for what its worth. ;)

Edit- Also, where on the East coast are you from?

boykinjw

Edit- Also, where on the East coast are you from?

Im originally from near you, Newport News. Live in Charleston SC now, love your build thread and Im jealous you are so close to the George Washington National Forest. Also I think I'll go back to the factory Trak-Lok, I don't love the auto locker in the rear end and I don't hate it. Agree that selectable would be best but for what I do I think the rear LSD and front locker will work well.

BNJeepsta

I vote for the XJ but, don't waste your money on superchargers or stroking the 4.0. For the money and reliability, just swap an LS in and be done with it. I've never had a supercharged 4.0 because I just can't spend that kind of money to make a little extra power. I have, however, built a stroker and IMHO it just isn't worth it. Get a 4.8/5.3/6.0, get a 700r4/4l60e/6L80e, use the car accessories and intake so it will clear the hood, buy mounts and a wiring harness from Novak and enjoy better fuel mileage, awesome power and reliability. That's my .02

MrWesson

Adventurer
I vote WK.

More comfortable overlanding, going to the store, off road(dunno for sure), and faster..

Newer.

Still incredibly capable with quadradrive II and 32's(would go anywhere).

Unique.. XJ's are all over the trails(for damn good reason though)

Better looking with all terrains IMO

Reasons to keep the XJ

If you want to off road "rig"

Aftermarket support(same as above)

It's already setup for heavy off road.

I'd have the WK but keeping the XJ makes alot of sense too if you want to "build" the WK. A hidden winch/tray on the WK would be cheap, 32's and a small lift shouldn't cost much though.

paroxysym

Adventurer
having owned both, and currently only owning a WK(OME lift and 31s)- id vote XJ just based on the SFA, reliability and ruggedness. as much as I love the WK for its power, creature comforts, etc- its honestly my most favorite jeep ive owned. but aside from running a fire road or a rocky/dirt road, I wouldn't take this vehicle in the mud/clay which is pretty common up and down the east coast

tarditi

Explorer
XJ for technical simplicity and availability of platform support for both off-road/overland community and aftermarket parts availability.

boykinjw

Thanks everyone for the thoughtful responses, it's awesome to see so much support on this forum for the XJ.

87Warrior

GP'er
XJ. I have owned both and loved both. Even though I no longer own either, I do still have two MJs.

The WK is a remarkable Jeep, especially when equipped with the Hemi and QDII. QDII does a great job engaging the auto lockers when off the road. It also rides smooth but the seats are uncomfortably hard, the cabin feels smaller than a XJ and the A pillar blind spot is terrible. All of the doors creak and pop when you hit the dirt. You are at the mercy of modern Chrysler electronics which is actually what prompted me to sell the WK for a 100 series Toyota after a trip to the San Juans.

The XJ is the model of simplicity and durability. Interior ergonomics and visibility are perfect and the drivetrain is bullet proof. When built reasonably, it rides just as well as a WK and doesn't creak or pop nearly as much as the WK. The XJ doesn't have auto lockers, but it has the suspension to make up for it. The construction of the interior yields itself to adding storage and other components much easier and cleaner than the bulky bloated WK interior. In my experience the 4.0 and Hemi give about the same fuel economy. While the XJ is still plagued with Chrysler electronics, the issues are nuisances (window switches) unlike the WK which can leave you without 4LO.

The XJ doesn't have 16 spark plugs! Seriously, it is cheaper to do basic maintenance like fluid changes with the XJ.

Tombstone17

Observer
I have had both but the Xj rode and reminded me more like my JKU that I have now. The WK was pretty nice, and that's just it, do you need that off road, no, or you could get an MB and have all the fancy stuff for off roading too......

Emorphius

Observer
A friend of mine bought his WK brand new one month after I bought my 01 XJ used. We both had OME lifts and at the time 33" KOs. When we would wheel, his lockers were engaged when I didn't need them. Used to make him mad...of course I told him its because I am a far superior driver. I have had to typical PW issue, his was at the dealership constantly with one issue after the other. I still have my XJ and it is going strong. He got tired of all the issues and sold it. Has a 100 series LC now. No doubt his WK was more comfortable and had great features, but those are not very useful if its broken all the time. His may have been just a basket case, who knows. As was mentioned previously, the aftermarket support for the XJ is great and for a vehicle that is at least 16 years old, there is more coming out everyday for it. I vote keep the XJ.

MrWesson

Adventurer
A friend of mine bought his WK brand new one month after I bought my 01 XJ used. We both had OME lifts and at the time 33" KOs. When we would wheel, his lockers were engaged when I didn't need them. Used to make him mad...of course I told him its because I am a far superior driver. I have had to typical PW issue, his was at the dealership constantly with one issue after the other. I still have my XJ and it is going strong. He got tired of all the issues and sold it. Has a 100 series LC now. No doubt his WK was more comfortable and had great features, but those are not very useful if its broken all the time. His may have been just a basket case, who knows. As was mentioned previously, the aftermarket support for the XJ is great and for a vehicle that is at least 16 years old, there is more coming out everyday for it. I vote keep the XJ.

Brand new cars tend to have a few kinks within 10,000 miles in my experience vs your well used XJ. Out of 5 people I know(3 of them very well) who own WK's(All used) they have been trouble free. Also new owners tend to gripe more... That rattle in the dash of your XJ or creaking noise would warrant a trip to the dealer if it was under warranty because.. Why not?

I'm not saying the WK is better or more reliable than the XJ but i'd say that short term(under 150k) they are probably very similar(consumer reports pegs them almost identical if you buy that)..

Long term reliability of the WK remains to be seen. Until I see WK's with 300k on the clock out on the trail you have to give that to the XJ.

I'd still rather have a WK as an every day driver.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles