VARIOS 4x4 VARIOS

I'm about to start work on my Mercedes so I thought I'd start a T2/Vario thread to try to establish just how many there are out there? And also get some inspiration :ylsmoke:

This one is mine:
image.jpg

It's a 2005 814DA 4x4 MWB van with 90k miles.

Probably a 3rd of the vehicles discussed here are Vario/T2 types

Hi Ian, Yes I've read most Vario related build threads over the past few years, including your own, which has been a highlight, very fine work sir!

After a considerable amount of time looking for an 814DA MWB, I now own one of my own. The usual reaction when asking about them was ‘rocking horse s?*t mate, you'll never find one'.

So, seeing as they are quite unusual and also no longer in production I thought it would be good to start a thread to document the ones that are known, well the ones on here at least.

As far as I have seen from users that have posted here there are actually only 10 4x4 Varios on this forum, including mine, not many..

Last edited:

ianc

Adventurer Wannabe
10 is a lot!
There is also a thriving Vario 4x4 camper community in Germany and Norther Europe which is not well represented here. Ullie (being able to speak them foreign languages) can probably tell us where they hang out :).

Anyway Welcome and I look forward to reading your build thread.

Well lets face it where the conversions here are concerned it's obviously a quality over quantity situation or maybe Mercedes only sold 10 outside of Germany? :)

Like you say, there is another 22 on Uli's site vario.buwe.de (presumably a different Uli in Germany). None of these guys seem to be on here though.

Most appear to be German apart from the Russian 614D with Gaz 66 axels. Some really nice examples though!

Ullie

Adventurer
Uli (Germany) is indeed another person than Ullie (Belgium). :)

In Belgium there is a forum from overlanders.be where there are several vario drivers, but most of them are 4x2.
In the Netherlands you have camperpoint (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IWS0-KsoQ30). He builds campers on vario 4x4. Maybe he can help you to find more vario 4x4 drivers.

Hi Ullie, thanks for the heads up on overlanders.be, I havent come across that forum before, always good to have an extra source for info and inspiration! It would be good to make note of the 4x2 Varios that are converted too, might be a long list!

Camperpoint I know about, he's based close to a friend of mine in the Netherlands. I think he has converted 5 or 6 4x4s and a load of 4x2 609s etc. I think there is someone on here that owns a nice cream/yellow 4x4 mwb van if memory serves.. Don't think I've seen any others on here though. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Would anyone mind if I posted the details of the vans on this forum to form a better picture of what is where?

Gretar

There are a number of 4x4 Varios in Iceland. Some have been made into campervans

Attachments

• 3xVario.jpg
    3xVario.jpg
    109.6 KB · Views: 38
Looks like there is a limit to 10 image attachments per post..

United Kingdom

Bruce Lee - 814DA 4x4 Van
20150412_172938.jpg

Dragonsmaug - 814DA 4x4 Van
PC120162.jpg

MARŌVERLAND - 814DA 4x4 Van
IMG_8162.jpg

mmmartin - 814DA Single Cab
IMGP8593.JPG

NigelEvans - 814DA 4x4 Van
image (1).jpg

Part Time Nomad - 814DA Dual Cab
IMG_1852.jpg

Last edited:
Hi Gretar, Nice shot! It looks like a lunar landing :)

Below is a list of the Varios that have appeared in posts on this forum and also from around the web. Feel free to add if you know of any others. If possible post details for each truck to identify it, ideally with pictures! :)

This is just an exercise in recording numbers, so PM me if you don't want to be on the list and I will take you off.

Belgium

Ullie - 814DA 4x4 Single Cab
kraan.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94