2015 JKUR Long Term Build

BigDaveZJ

Adventurer
Recently my wife and I picked up a 2015 Tank JKUR that we will be building into a moderate wheeling and expo rig. I bought my 95 ZJ in 2000 and it still works well, but certainly does not have the creature comforts that the JK does. The ZJ is long armed, HP30, 8.8, 35's, etc etc etc. It's basically a trailer queen at this point too, and that adds a bit of challenge to wheeling trips. We had a 2014 WK2 for a while, but that didn't quite work for us when we wanted to do some light wheeling, so we traded it in on the JKUR.

We're starting off with some very basic mods to it at this point. We've added the Bestop locking storage drawers under the front seats and have ordered up parts for a CB. We're going with the Cobra 75 with the CoolTech license plate mount and the AudioInterrupt interface to use the Jeep's speakers as the external radio speaker.

Future plans include bumpers, winch, tube fenders, maybe a small lift, and 35's. It will remain my wife's DD for at least the next two years, so we don't want to get too crazy with it. And if we want to wheel a higher level trail, we just take the ZJ. I also have no issues dragging the side of the ZJ on a rock, can't say the same about a brand new JK!

We also have an M416 with an RTT that's setup to go with the ZJ. We'll likely be changing that so the JK can pull it since the JK will remain much more streetable than the ZJ could ever hope to be.

No pics at this point, since everybody has seen a pic of a stock JKUR.

Comanche Scott

Expedition Leader
Sounds like a great start. :beer:

On the CB, you might try it first, before getting the interrupt device. I have hearing damage in the higher frequencies, and still hear this same CB just fine.

Look forward to following along with your build.

BigDaveZJ

Adventurer
I've used the 75 in another rig and can't hear the damn thing to save my life. I run regular external speakers in all of my other rigs, but don't want to clutter up the JK interior anymore than I have to.

Jeffrey_A

Observer
I have a 75, mounted it down low with a ram mount, then external speaker midpoint on the sound bar. $15.00 and a trip to Radio Shack, well, guess on line now, but you get the idea. Works for us.

IMG_1789_zpsqcqdvfc1.jpg

IMG_1790_zpswkkefy2k.jpg

BigDaveZJ

Adventurer
I have a 75, mounted it down low with a ram mount, then external speaker midpoint on the sound bar. $15.00 and a trip to Radio Shack, well, guess on line now, but you get the idea. Works for us.

IMG_1789_zpsqcqdvfc1.jpg

IMG_1790_zpswkkefy2k.jpg

I like that mount, however that would interfere with my leg whenever I rode shotgun, being 6'5" makes some interior things a bit of a challenge!

BigDaveZJ

Adventurer
We installed the Cobra 75 with the audio interrupt shortly after the last update of this thread and it works great. Other than that the JK is still stock, but we've decided to go with the Nemesis Notorious flares and 35" BFG AT KO2's. Planning to get everything on in the next few months. Probably won't do much else to the JK in terms of modifications though. My ZJ is still doing quite well, but the dogs (2 90lb labs) much prefer riding in the JK, so we will likely build a new storage system and fridge setup for the ZJ and have the JK haul the dogs.

BigDaveZJ

Adventurer
So we ordered the flares, but didn't order them soon enough to get installed for our Moab trip. Hacked up the factory fenders a bit to clear the 35s. Will be getting the tires on later this week.
74b1dff4ec96a2e6883e0f5110e06fa6.jpg
9b8bc245d188cf584d0ceb24250c6e24.jpg
51439eb2af8bc2782813f167ef5f6cc2.jpg

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

BigDaveZJ

Adventurer
35s are on. Rubs a bit on the front bumper when turning, but the sawzall will fix that until we can get an aftermarket bumper and winch on there.
9de2e6ab4c5491060c85fc45184b8654.jpg

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles