Bad back & neck; Should I opt for a crank up camper vs. manually lifting a 4WC?

jonb96150

Observer
I'm planning on a pop up for my 93 F250. And I have neck, back and shoulder issues that have me concerned about lifting a 4WC. Since I'm 5'8" I am wondering if I should be more focused on a pop top that you crank to raise.

Appreciate any advice, comments, experiences people want to share.

liftedlimo

Adventurer
After installing roof lifter shocks my fwc roof is a one handed lift and lower. It is such an improvement over stock form. If you have medical issues that don't allow some level of dexterity there are crank up options for the fwc.

elmo_4_vt

Explorer
I've never really used my back to lift persea, but you do have to hunch over a bit. For mine at least, it's all in the legs. I set up on thank water tank cover with the roof on my shoulder and just stand up. Like above, you really only have to use your body about the 1/3 of the total travel distance at the bottom when putting up or taking down. The struts do everything else.

Don

-

codename607

Adventurer
I consider myself a fit guy(have 11 years in the Army) and popping up my FWC isn't as easy as I thought it would be. Mine came with the stock lifters so I would suggest changing them out if you do go with a FWC. You don't want the potential of injuring yourself way out in the backwoods opening up your camper.

cchoc

Wilderness Photographer
My FWC Eagle came with 30# lifters and I had them swapped out for 40# ones. With just the solar on top I have to pull the top down but with my fly rod 'vault' on the roof rack it's just about right. I did get a crank up speaker stand to use if I have any more load on top. I'm 69yo and have had back surgery but I love my FWC.

jonb96150

Observer
My FWC Eagle came with 30# lifters and I had them swapped out for 40# ones. With just the solar on top I have to pull the top down but with my fly rod 'vault' on the roof rack it's just about right. I did get a crank up speaker stand to use if I have any more load on top. I'm 69yo and have had back surgery but I love my FWC.

Like this?

http://www.amazon.com/Stage-SS8800B-Power-Crank-Speaker/dp/B000CD3QYW

Great idea! Thanks. One of the reviews was even by someone using it to lift a pop up camper.

craig333

Expedition Leader
I have the 40# struts and have no problem lifting my top. It did get noticeably heavier after adding the 150w solar panel. I can see though if I had a bad back using some other type of lift assist.

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
Love the Heco crankup suystem in my 2000 Northstar. Bulletproof and effortless. My friend just picked up a primo 8' TC800 shortbed model for $4500. Unbeatable.

dawnhoyden

Observer
I'm (almost) 5'4" and I have no trouble lifting my FWC Fleet roof!
I threw out my right shoulder years ago and it often gives me trouble, and my lower back four years ago, but it doesn't bother me to lift this up.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior