New Weather Feature for InReach Explorer

1Louder

Explorer
Delorme just pushed out a nice update to the InReach. For the cost of a message from your message plan you can get fairly detailed weather at your location. You can also specify other areas. Not needed when you have phone service but nice to have when you don't and you might see the weather changing.

Basic: "free"

The Basic forecast includes temperature, precipitation, wind speed and direction, and atmospheric pressure details for three days in six-hour intervals. Each forecast counts as one text message against your data plan.

Each forecast counts as one text message against your data plan.

Premium (Non-marine):

The Premium forecast includes temperature, precipitation, wind speed and direction, and atmospheric pressure details for seven days. The first 24 hours include one-hour forecasts, the second 24 hours include three-hour forecasts, the third 24 hours include six-hour forecasts, and the remaining four days include 12-hour forecasts. Additional charges apply, see cost details below. One-hour intervals not available outside of North America.

Each forecast counts as one text message and costs $1.49 per request.

My Ham radio has weather alerts so those are effective if I can hit a NWS station.

26639425691_0d60b4b1c1_c.jpg

26639429011_c83d0320dd_c.jpg

26705449635_12066442d7_c.jpg

What it looks like in the Earthmate app on my iPhone

Last edited:

pugslyyy

Expedition Vehicle Engineer Guy
That's really slick. I'm a little confused though, does it cost $1.49 + text charge, or just text charge?

1Louder

Explorer
That's really slick. I'm a little confused though, does it cost $1.49 + text charge, or just text charge?

Basic "free" / text message from your plan. So if you have runout of allotted messages in would be .50

Premium - $1.49 plus text message. Again no messages left in your plan add another .50

At least that's how I read it.

pugslyyy

Expedition Vehicle Engineer Guy
So Basic is "free" if within your message limit?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

1Louder

Explorer
Where are you getting the $1.49 for the premium and marine? The Delorme Inreach site under the Weather section states $1.00 per request, not $1.49 (http://www.inreachdelorme.com/product-info/inreach-weather.php)

Fee details
Basic: Each forecast counts as one text message against your data plan.
Premium: Each forecast costs $1 per request.
Marine: Each forecast costs $1 per request.

All I did was copy and paste what was on the Delorme site. Maybe they changed it already.

robgendreau

Explorer
Interesting. They use forecast.io, correct? I use their app—Dark Sky— on my phone and it's becoming my fave. The marine one seems to be from OCENs, who also know what they're doing.

Coincidentally, I was just reading Outside mag's article about the seven who died last Sept canyoneering in Zion. They'd check weather; I dunno if the Delorme has the feature that Dark Sky has, which informs you how far away the nearest precip is, but it might have prevented their demise.

BTW, is this on BOTH the SE and the Explorer? I guess the developer used it with SE; http://wx2inreach.weebly.com

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles