Cast iron griddle

christianoffroad

Cheap Adventurer!
So after a trip last weekend, I have decided I need to invest in a griddle for my old trusty Coleman dual fuel stove. Cooking large quantities of bacon in my small skillet is a pain! Anyone have any luck finding a decent cast iron griddle that fits on the old Coleman stoves? Want something with a decent grease channel if possible.

rambrush

Adventurer
The smaller one would do you ok, but there is no grease channel. The larger one might fit but seems like overkill. Currently they are not here at the house so can't tell you the brand names.

20150708_071225.jpg

tarditi

Explorer
I have a lodge cast iron and camp chef steel griddle for my coleman 2-burner and camp chef everest respectively.

The cast is HEAVY but heats well, the steel griddle works nicely on the everest because it's sized for it by design, but does get hot spots if the burners are too high.

Just my $.02

thefishhawk

Adventurer
Lodge makes a nice heavy one with a grease channel. If you wanted to go lighter I would look at a Partner aluminum one, no channel though. I've got another one made by Texsport I think that's my beater. Might depend on the size of your stove, but you can measure and figure it out. I've got a couple difference sized coleman stoves, can't remember what fits which.

In my experience the channels always end up filling up too quickly anyway and you almost never have a perfectly level stove/table. I kind of prefer the Partner type with a high edge that at least keeps everything in. I'm sure an amazon search will find what you need.

sometimes cooking for large groups I'll just go with the pre-cooked bacon. yes, it's paper thin and isn't as good, but massively less fat to deal with and works great in stuff like bacon-strip pancakes since you can do it at the same time.

christianoffroad

Cheap Adventurer!
I have always liked the even cooking of cast iron, and since weight isn't as much of a concern due to my setup, I want to spurge a little! I have seen dozens of different ideas on Amazon, but cant decide best way to go. Nothin better than thick cut peppered bacon, cooked outside, with coffee.....mmmmm.

Herbie

Rendezvous Conspirator
I use this one from Lodge and found it to be an ALMOST perfect fit for my two-burner coleman, but found that it fouled slightly on the wind shields.

Since I didn't need two "loops", I used a grinder to knock one of the corner loops off and that made just enough extra clearance that the griddle centers perfectly on the burners.

I've also used it over my Webber Go Anywhere grill to make pancakes on a trip when I only wanted to bring a single burner stove. Took a bit of time to warm up, but worked fantastically well!

dcg141

Adventurer
I use this one from Lodge and found it to be an ALMOST perfect fit for my two-burner coleman, but found that it fouled slightly on the wind shields.

Since I didn't need two "loops", I used a grinder to knock one of the corner loops off and that made just enough extra clearance that the griddle centers perfectly on the burners.

I've also used it over my Webber Go Anywhere grill to make pancakes on a trip when I only wanted to bring a single burner stove. Took a bit of time to warm up, but worked fantastically well!

I have had this one for years I use with a Coleman. Its like it was made for them.

Scoutman

Explorer
I find that if I'm cooking bacon (or other breakfast meats for that matter) for a 'group' over a stove then I typically cut it into 1-2" pieces and put it in a cast iron pan or dutch oven. Just stir with a spoon and there is no worries of needing lots of real estate of a griddle to cook massive amounts of bacon. Stir often and when you're done it's easier to manage the grease by pouring it off. To me, it doesn't matter if its a full length strip, half strip, or smaller pieces. Bacon is bacon. Cook it the way that it's easiest for the group you're cooking for. I also find that cooking it this way leads to less pops and splatters and it seems to go much quicker. You're now left with your other burner free to cook something else or keep the coffee warm.

Save the griddle for the pancakes. :chef:

spikemd

Explorer
I use my Weber Q 1200 with griddle to replace one side of the grill. On the smaller side, but works well.

For camping, I have switched to pre-cooked bacon. Less hassle, much less grease and cooks quickly.

I have seen smaller cast iron griddles at pier1 world market as well. Should fit a two burner, but take measurements.

FJR Colorado

Explorer
Something that works great as a griddle is a Camp Chef cast-iron pizza pan...

14b6qt4.jpg

You can also make some kick-butt Montana-style pizza in this thing that is the bomb.

It has a good lip on it. No grease drain but can hold a lot to be poured off.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier