Built 2nd gen Tacoma mileage?

The_Dude

Adventurer
What are you guys getting with the 4.0 and a 2.5" lift and 255 or 285 tires? My FZJ80 gets about 13 loaded on the hwy @ 70mph. I am looking at the Tacoma as my next platform.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Adventurous

Explorer
I am getting between 16-17 mpg with 90% of that as city type of mileage. That's the 4.0 with a 2.5" lift, 255 tires, ARB bumper, roof rack, sliders, a topper, and some skids.

yonah

Calling-in from west of the Rockies
I have a '12 DCSB (auto trans) with plate bumpers, sliders, Leer shell, and 2" of lift. I have steel wheels (heavy) with 265/75r16 E-rated BFG ATs. My city MPGs vary from 17.5-18.5. My best tank MPG average was 19.5 mostly highway driving around 70MPH. I know that's a slightly smaller tire size than what you're considering.

My original goal was to make the jump to 255/85s, but I do so much road driving I think it's more cons than pros for me at the moment. When my BFGs wear out, I'll likely move to TRD aluminum wheels with 265/75 Cooper S/T Maxxs (which are both a few pounds lighter than my current set-up). My goal is to at least reach 20MPG highway as fuel prices are starting to climb again.

Last edited:

The End

Mine when I had 2" of lift, 315s, arb/cbi bumpers, leer cap would get 16-17 city 20-21. I believe the best I've ever got was 24.5 all highway. I do live in Fl and all the roads are flat and I drive like a grandpa. 6 speed manual by the way.

tacollie

Glamper
My 09 with the auto trans get 15-16 pretty consistently. My 05 with auto trans did 14 but I had a heavier foot then. My 07 with the manual I would get 19-20. All three had a Flippac. I run 255s. Never ran 285s for any length of time.

SGTCap

Adventurer
I don't know how people are getting mileage this good. On 255s I got about 16. Wit the 37s I'm running now it's closer to 12. No telling what I'll get when/if I SAS and go to 40s.

The_Dude

Adventurer
All better than the 80 hahaha!
95c297c8e10223a5b5708ade0829d396.jpg

nucktaco

Adventurer
My 08 DCLB auto 4.0l with skids, 3" lift and 285/70r17 k02's, sliders, winch bumper and high clearance rear bumper gets 14mpg daily driving. I get slightly better with highway only driving but don't think I get any better than 15mpg. 275,000kms on it as of today.

If I could get 19 I'd be pretty happy.

Last edited:

whiskeytacos

Observer
I have a '14 DCSB Off-Road with a 2.5" lift, Cooper A/T3 285/75r16 on stock wheels, Softopper, wood platform in the bed, and I usually have a bunch of fishing/camping gear back there. Pelfreybilt hidden winch mount and Warn M8000 with steel rope wrap up the front along with some LEDs.

I live in Brooklyn, NY, so my city mileage is different than a lot of people. My 4.5 mile commute gets me 8-10mpg due to the insane amount of lights and stop signs I hit. I didn't get much better when my truck was stock. On the highway, however, I'm getting 14-16 here in the hilly northeast. I'm hoping that increases a little when I install the speedometer calibrator and my shift points are corrected.

robert

Expedition Leader
05 AccessCab, 6spd with LT265s, OME, ARB, winch, camper shell, sliders and some other junk and I average about 14.7-15.5mpg on ethanol blend, around 17mpg on real gasoline. Utter crap if you ask me, especially since Toyota was advertising 19mpg. I think I should sue VW, I mean Toyota. It is utter crap though that a newer vehicle gets such crappy mileage.

The_Dude

Adventurer
Can you guys post up some pics of the rigs?

Sometimes I can pull 15 on the hwy but rarely.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz