Interior Van Walls

opt overland

Observer
Trunk liner also works pretty good. Its similar to hull liner without the added cost because it doesn't imply its made for a boat.

boardrider247

Weekend warrior anarchist
If anyone has any other interior build photos I'm sure it would help a lot of us out.

Following Thom's lead I also went with a sort of soft wall. Built similar to his but slightly different.
I did use furring strips to create a somewhat even curve throughout.
IMG_20150831_182929 by Danny Knowlan, on Flickr

Some progress pictures
Untitled by Danny Knowlan, on Flickr

bj3nk5

Has anyone used cork on walls?? Seems like it might be a good finish material, if you could get it to lay flat. How about vinyl tiles or sheet vinyl on the walls?

Anyone see any potential issues with that?

Choff

Adventurer
How about carpet, we used carpet in the 70's and 80's on Van walls and floor and ceiling !!!
Oh **** all over the place. !!!!
Love the Soft walls
Choff

bj3nk5

I had carpet on my last van and it really held onto dust when we were in the desert. Impossible to clean. I'm trying to do something different. Just not sure if cork and sheet vinyl will lay down on the walls very well.

I was planning on using sheet vinyl in my kitchen area and cork around all the other walls and window areas. The idea was something with insulation value that will also absorb sound on the walls, so my speakers don't echo as much in there.

Any words of warning?

Herbie

Rendezvous Conspirator
I'm just using regular old automotive trunk carpeting. It is "unbacked" so it is very flexible and easy to force into curved spaces and tight gaps, and doesn't do any of that weird bunching that regular outdoor carpet does. I've found it very easy to work with, and it adheres very well using 3M Super77 spray adhesive.

I was able to find a color that was a good match for the OEM floor carpet, etc. Here you can see a replacement panel I made after removing the huge molded plastic trim panel that covered the rear heater, etc.:
u933nbDGvRYpOPl5fy2eOxuDg71gVr3U5rTQYzexLEO5UUOOYCmf2JhxGdGoofnmG_zzOOUXrs-8VnC_LltWtwaxX6_OA9a0tLKmw-D7V7SC4BTeErYQ28q2zE0EZqLe2DarKqlhjyLovL3HzBznHeYo7gYa2N_kqK0-iTmbIkCd8bhy454h9nnxSAm3uhaSnR8xDc7VXyvrPfARSjAEl1IwwqPSlAdmpM3E32U8HR-JJ7XLsoR5qzECfh2UZK7kMhEjyZXauv79v2iDnz3S3lPPbhQ4_CNcFRCoHLekq_0C_LgX-BL_yqSyXXyHxyvD2Rqktf7w609XSCUkIYPgx4my1XqqQ-6Whust_ZE_WQgFLcZqKV1UEZpecmiPiQ76_JJsIjYdyQWzH6fGszM7-_B4dr7dwrVcWQmk1B9A-i3yaFkpCFdZ7ye30XJ4h1WAp_uizHK-BDXu0GutMceObyrnS2p4qtNTdK7S2XD_jntV2fGHveQmM-dzzUltjmgWgsLgILI14elORR8345jN0Mcpw6RrtNVGFHdYkArCSbCXPXTSW7pFdufUPk09DboEr_ZufKtf5UsJEkggzKIjPVpJdWu16SBY=w500

It also covers that box on the left and several other bits of cabinetry I've built. I'm lucky/unlucky in that I have a passenger van with lots of windows, so I'm only paneling the "lower" walls, but as long as I blend into the B/C/D-pillar trim plastics, it all looks pretty good. (Note that the gap there at the B-pillar/window was left to make clearance for the fridge cabinet that snugs up to the wall there - squeezing that cabinet tight to the wall was the whole reason I removed the trim plastic there, saving me as much as 7" in some places!). Eventually I'll use the same carpet to cover a new curb-side cabinet when I replace the plastic on that side.

TheEL

Observer
Very curious to hear about anyones experience with cork as well. Thinking of using it as the subfloor on my van.

bj3nk5

Subfloor is an interesting application. I hadn't thought of that. I've seen the cork floors in some RVs online but not in person. I wonder how they hold up.

gh0ztkid21

Observer
I fat matted mine and installed the Wise Ind van liner kit. No regrets.
linerkit004_zps617b751d.jpg

linerkit003_zps4b386cd6.jpg

Since then, I installed e-track on the sides for a removable bed platform.

So glad I just came across this thread. For the longest time I have been trying to find a review from someone who has used the pro van cargo liner kit from realtruck. I have already dynamated my whole cargo van interior with zero gaps. I went over the cross braces and everything. My next step was to reflectix it and then either build walls out of 1/4 birch ply and marine grade vinyl over that or buy the pro van kit and then vinyl over that. How do you like it? How has it held up? And how is the fit in the corners near the side and rear doors? and front cab area?

Thank you for your reply

bj3nk5

I'm having a hard time making a decision on this too. For the marine grade vinyl...think it will adhere to the back corners by the door? I don't want carpet, but can't figure out what to do in the back corners. Analysis paralysis!

brianjwilson

Some sort of lost...
Hey Ghoztkid21, Glad you found this cause I was having a heck of a time remembering!

Ahh yes. I just order the wise industries kit myself after looking at this thread a couple days ago. Hope it works out well. I'm putting my cash into so many other parts of the van, not a bunch left for interior right now.

gh0ztkid21

Observer
Ahh yes. I just order the wise industries kit myself after looking at this thread a couple days ago. Hope it works out well. I'm putting my cash into so many other parts of the van, not a bunch left for interior right now.

Let me know how you like it when it arrives. I almost ordered it 2 days ago and held off. Probably will buy it and buy rolls of vinyl and cover it with 3m spray and the vinyl because I want a vinyl finish. If you could let me know how the fit is and if I could reflectix before installing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94