Interior Van Walls

bj3nk5

Hey guys,

Starting a new build here. Just about to finish all the electrical, and am about to start the next phase.

I'm trying to figure out what to do with the sidewalls, and thought I'd run plans past you guys.

I have an extended e350. I'm thinking about doing the interior walls with:

Insulating the body with Reflectix
Getting a Inlad Liner kit to put over it. since they're already cut to fit, it should save a TON of time and they look strong enough to mount fans and lights to.
Gluing 1/4" Armacell on the top of that,
Then finally, wrapping the Inlad/Armacell panel in a Goretex or similar fabric.

My thoughts are that the Goretex will allow any moisture from to breathe out of the top layer of foam, and will still be easy(ier) to wipe down/clean after being in dusty environments. I'll still fill the body with spray foam where i can.

The foam on both sides will help keep temperature down, keep road noise out, and make sure the van has enough soft surfaces to keep good acoustics :)

https://www.inlad.com/legend-fleet-...r-kits-for-ford-econoline-leg-fe?page_id=1053

Anyone have any better ideas or suggestions?

Has anyone done anything similar and cut in CRL or Dometic windows?

hobovan

'00 E350SD PSD
I've been eyeballing 1/2" R-Max for the sides and roof, as the r value is good. Debating on sealing body with some type of spray, maybe flex-seal as combo deadener/rust protectant, then covering with thin plywood. Floor to be deadener, then reflectix, then plywood and finally laminate flooring. Might go peal and stick to save weight.

Jsweezy

Explorer
I don't know what your budget is but just in the inlad wall liners your looking at 1500 brand new. It was the route I wanted to go initially because it would be super convenient but I decided I'd just put the time in at that price.

Also would look into the 3m stuff mentioned above, not sure about how it performs but seems legit.

luthj

Engineer In Residence
Another thinsulate fan here. Great stuff and easy to work with. Use the expanding foam for tight spots and pillars.

Making your own panels isn't too hard but it is time consuming. Check out marine vinyl for covering them. Easy to clean and tough. It can be bought with foam already attached which can save tons of time.

philos

Explorer
Harbor Freight neoprene/rubber floor tiles are great for insulation. Dirt cheap too.
I stole this idea from the Paul/Mikey Sprinter build, works great.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

devo 1

Adventurer
I fat matted mine and installed the Wise Ind van liner kit. No regrets.
linerkit004_zps617b751d.jpg

linerkit003_zps4b386cd6.jpg

Since then, I installed e-track on the sides for a removable bed platform.

24HOURSOFNEVADA

Expedition Leader
I was originally going to go with a hard plastic cargo liner with a one piece wall for the driver's side and insulate behind it with Dynamat and then Thinsulate from _hein_ . However I really like how yours looks Devo1, might be game changer. Do you have a part # by chance?

Last edited:

24HOURSOFNEVADA

Expedition Leader
Thanks Devo, I appreciate the link. My suggestion is to keep your 6 speed. I absolutely loved mine, but my family has outgrown the extended cab, so I switched to a van. Do you think that you would be able to use the 2" thinsulate material that Hein sells between the liner and van, or the 1"?

Wow 24, you and I have owned the same type of vehicles. Still have my 99 F350 7.3 6 speed.
The liner kit comes with both barn door and sliding door liners. The Bed Rug is separate.
https://www.realtruck.com/pro-van-carpeted-cargo-liners/pvl-113.html

You still need to insulate behind it, it's not very thick but it's tough.

Accrete

Explorer
This is an older shot of the interior of our build, thought i'd share it since you mentioned the idea of soft walls.

TGL_WEBslidingdoor.jpg

Ours are now going on 6 years and they still look like new. We used marine grade hull liner fabric (_example link_). My wife did all the detail work and you've got to get right up to the fabric and look close to see any seams. Very nice to work with. It is over a sandwich of bubble wrap, mylar, reflectix. Last year I had a project that called cutting through a section and all was still as we installed it during ~November of 2010~.

Best wishes on the project.
Thom

Jsweezy

Explorer
So I'm also in the same process as the OP and was wondering if you attached the sides to the metal or added furring strips to attach to? I also wanted to go with the Inlad but it just costs too much.

If anyone has any other interior build photos I'm sure it would help a lot of us out.

philos

Explorer
This is an older shot of the interior of our build, thought i'd share it since you mentioned the idea of soft walls.

TGL_WEBslidingdoor.jpg

Ours are now going on 6 years and they still look like new. We used marine grade hull liner fabric (_example link_). My wife did all the detail work and you've got to get right up to the fabric and look close to see any seams. Very nice to work with. It is over a sandwich of bubble wrap, mylar, reflectix. Last year I had a project that called cutting through a section and all was still as we installed it during ~November of 2010~.

Best wishes on the project.
Thom

Liking the hull liner fabric!!!!

bj3nk5

Thanks for all the replies.

For the marine hull liner...does it scratch easily? Or is it pretty durable?

Any pros and cons for dometic vs crl Windows?

Accrete

Explorer
THX, yea we are both pleasantly surprised at how well it has held up (and the general idea of "Soft walls" too). We got onto the idea after discussing our plans with a local boat/restoration shop in our area. The hull liner is very durable and we notice no "scratches" or frays at this point.

I'll also share in reference to the "how did you apply" question posted above. I understand there are pros/cons of any of this. YMMV, here is what we did ...to the best of my recollection ; )

we started with a bare painted stock interior van wall (and also the rough interior of fiberine roof)...
Sprayed the wall with 3m77 spray adhesive (between each layer also) > 1" shipping bubble wrap > reflectix > 1" shipping bubble wrap > reflectix > 1" shipping bubble wrap > mylar space blanket > hull liner fabric.

Since i'm not an engineer I almost always over-engineer ; O even the Van Specialties crew made a similar comment...and were impressed with our work when we came in to have them build the bed platform and the closets. As mentioned elsewhere, the van is so quiet inside that we turn on the Bose speakers and have our audio loop of our favorite river sounds to put us to sleep when parked next to a river cuz we can't here what is going on outside the van (we do this each night when home so are sort of addicted to it).

: ) Thom

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior