2017 GM vans

86cj

Explorer
Looks like a new diesel engine option for the big vans..http://gmauthority.com/blog/2016/03/2017-gmc-savana-and-chevy-express-gain-2-8-liter-duramax-diesel-option/

I am just glad it shows GM is doubling down on the big vans with an investment in the chassis, to bad they don't add some high roof options. I am hoping for a shot at another new GM van in the future but not any time soon. The reliability of the whole van is just surprising and combined with how well the chassis handles people who use them everyday have little complaint. Will the little D-Max give Sprinter like mileage without the early body rust issues? Even the Ford transit-connects are rusting here already, the E-series and GM vans hold up much better to rust. Fleet managers want GM vans for reliability and cost to own, not to mention drivers hate switching tools to the old beater while in for service. GM just keeps stopping orders for vans to build more Colorado pickups, the vans can be hard to get.

pugslyyy

Expedition Vehicle Engineer Guy
Nice. Have to say I'm glad to see that GM is not just throwing their hands in the air and walking away from the vans.

DEFENDERBEAM

strategic command
wonder if they can offer it ANY cheaper than the current d-max ? that would be the main attraction. otherwise, the bigger one is better. it can get over 20MPG as-is, in vans thats fine to me. I bet a tuned pre-2008 could get close to 30 ?

DEFENDERBEAM

strategic command
Nice. Have to say I'm glad to see that GM is not just throwing their hands in the air and walking away from the vans.

I agree. good point.

but they could spent like 2 seconds re-designing the interior to make it 10-times better. lazy bastards.

4Fox

Observer
This is disappointing. All other manufacturers have updated their vans but GM is sticking with a 20 y/o design.

boardrider247

Weekend warrior anarchist
This is disappointing. All other manufacturers have updated their vans but GM is sticking with a 20 y/o design.
They don't need to update. Essentially they have no competition now that all other manufacturers have switched to a euro style van. If you want a heavy duty van your only option is GM at this point.
Max towing capacity for a transit is 7500#
GM vans are 10,000#

4Fox

Observer
That's a really good point! I still think a little more updating could've helped.

They don't need to update. Essentially they have no competition now that all other manufacturers have switched to a euro style van. If you want a heavy duty van your only option is GM at this point.
GM vans are 10,000#

boardrider247

Weekend warrior anarchist
That's a really good point! I still think a little more updating could've helped.

I totally agree. I think a updated body on frame van with some more modern features would really sell at this point.
As nice as the euro styled van's are sometime's you just need more capacity.
I know some of the plumbers at our shop are very unhappy with the switch to Transit's from the E series, even though they have more space they aren't able to haul the same amount of junk around.

Pinnacle Campers

Chateau spotter
GM vans are 10,000#

It and the NV

86cj

Explorer
I totally agree. I think a updated body on frame van with some more modern features would really sell at this point.
As nice as the euro styled van's are sometime's you just need more capacity.
I know some of the plumbers at our shop are very unhappy with the switch to Transit's from the E series, even though they have more space they aren't able to haul the same amount of junk around.

Yea the people who have the new Transits are not real happy at work, they are bummed they did not get one of the 2015 GMC vans that came in last year. GM offers a nice single bench option for a cargo van in the last few years, very popular with users. I looked under a new Transit at the chassis and came away with a feeling that my undersized 1500 AWD chassis might not be such a weakling after all, looks like a car suspension.

REDOVAL

Adventurer
180Hp and 360lb ft is not enough grunt to call it a 2500 or 3500 van. If it can't tow 8000+lb relatively easily it isn't worth much. I would see value in adding the 2.8 to the 1500 lineup, but not the actual work line. Another bad move GM...

Scott

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior