Is 12' too tall?

The headline says it all! I am building an expedition camper on a mercedes 1017a. The only problem is that for 6'6" inside height, that would put me at 12'. The width is only 94" so I don't think I have much to worry about there. I am wondering from people who have traveled to central and south America, as well as mountain trails in the US, are there a lot of clearance issues to be concerned about?

Sent from my SM-T230NU using Tapatalk

Joe917

Explorer
You are pushing it.
At 11'3" we have had to turn around a few times in Mexico, even in the US. You will have to rig something to lift wires and take it slow .
I am surprised your build will be so high, our interior is 6'8" and we are 11'3" on a MB 917AF

That's what I was afraid of. The platform is 5', and we don't want to spend the resources in having a lower subframe constructed.

That's what I was afraid of. The platform is 5', and we don't want to spend the resources in having a lower subframe constructed.

f4ea0a9df78d93a80cd67f82cea9bba6.jpg

Joe917

Explorer
Nice Truck, Rob can definitely help. What mounting system are you planning? 3 point or solid?

Im trying to avoid a new mounting system, but at the same time, aim for around 11`8" with around 6`6 interior height. This only leaves me with 2" for roof materials and flooring though.

Sent from my C6725 using Tapatalk

Joe917

Explorer
I have a 3" floor, 6'-8" interior, 3" roof, total box height: 7'-4". 6" steel subframe for total height: 11'-3"
I have parked next to your truck at Rob's and your frame height is about the same as mine. I hope this helps.
I would not shave height by reducing insulation thickness.

david506th

Adventurer
After talking with the Hackneys about this same issue, they seemed to indicate that it's not as a big deal as you think. Also that a height around a schoolbus is preferred since they used our old ones all over down there.

It looks like the only options are either smaller tires or new subframe if I want my height goal. The floor insulation can be installed into the subframe cavities, but then I am still just left with 2" for roof to be at 11`8" . My frame sits at 50", the subframe is at 60.5.

After talking with the Hackneys about this same issue, they seemed to indicate that it's not as a big deal as you think. Also that a height around a schoolbus is preferred since they used our old ones all over down there.
That's what I like to hear! I am fine with having some limitations due to size, but dont want to have to take 100 mile detours every other day due to a few inches. Pushing branches and wires out of the way, not a big deal for me.

pugslyyy

Expedition Vehicle Engineer Guy
I'm just under 12 feet and it hasn't been a problem.

The chicken buses in Central America are 11 feet or so, but they usually have bags piled up on top of them that make them another couple of feet taller.

North Carolina generally doesn't like you to be over 12'6"

Ozarker

Pontoon Admiral
We have RR bridges with 11'6" clearance, why not go with a pop up and stay low to cab height, you're probably not concerned with mpg, but that might help too.

quickfarms

Adventurer
I am at 12'2" tall, soon to be 12'4" within new tires, and it has not been an issue except it won't fit in my garage. A pop up is in the planning stages.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior