Shovel recommendations? Seems simple but....

tgreening

Expedition Leader
I don't know, I must be doing something wrong. My first 4x4 was a 1979 F150 and I wheeled that thing from California to Maine, and a handful of 4x4s since and in all that time I recall needing a shovel one time, in the desert outside Vegas. And t didn't do me a dang bit of good. Still took two full size to yank me out of that deceptive muck.

99Yota

Observer
I think you should have 2:

- One which you use to bury #2
- Another to help get your vehicle unstuck

gerber.jpgames-163034700-16-gauge-steel-round-point-shovel-with-fiberglass-handle.jpg
The Gerber is only about 1foot long when extended so it's way too small to unstuck a vehicle. But it works well for what I described. An E-tool makes a viable candidate but it's quite a bit more robust (read: heavier) and since it is still too small IMO to unstuck a vehicle, and too bulky to carry around just to bury #2, my vote goes with the Gerber. The Gerber's lighter nature also bodes well for hiking if you're so inclined.

A short fiberglass d-handle shovel is easier to pack and works well enough but like others have mentioned, it won't do such a good job digging in rocks or root bound soil.

Since most of the stucks I have seen/ experienced involve snow or melting snow + dirt (mud), a short handled shovel has done the trick when there is nothing to connect a winch cable.

Last edited:

captwoody

Adventurer
I have been in fire service for over 30 years and one tool we used a lot in wild land firefighting was a Pulaski which is a hybrid axe/mattock, can be used like axe or mattock and because mattock end is shorter used as a hoe also add a round point shovel,I prefer long handle shovel and for about 10 lbs of gear your covered for most. attached is a linc for a Pulaski with home depots generic name for it but it is what I am talking about.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Ludell-34-in-Fiberglass-Handle-4-lb-Landscape-Axe-12245/205508916

Madbodhi

Observer
Just going to post Pulaski and medium length D handle shovel. Condor Knife and Tool makes an interesting folding shovel in addition to a stout little standard shovel. Condor makes good stout blades using tough old school high carbon steel at very reasonable prices, id imagine their shovels are the same.

Attachments

• 61703.jpg
    61703.jpg
    23 KB · Views: 35
  • 61700.jpg
    61700.jpg
    16.7 KB · Views: 35
D

Deleted member 9101

My vote is for the E-tool. I have the same one the Army issued me in 1996 and it's still going. Almost 20 years of digging, cutting down small trees, being a hammer, and even used as a toilet. It has never failed me and probably never will.

patsfan

Observer
My vote is for the E-tool. I have the same one the Army issued me in 1996 and it's still going. Almost 20 years of digging, cutting down small trees, being a hammer, and even used as a toilet. It has never failed me and probably never will.

I'm just curious, why would you need to use the shovel as a toilet? Do you put the shovel on the ground and drop a deuce on it so that you can dispose of it someplace else?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier