Looking for Forum Members to Test a DECKED Storage System

WheelsUp

Observer
I hope all the interest in this thread by first gen Tundra owners encourages Decked to make a system that fits our trucks. I contacted the company a month or two ago, and was told the system is too wide for the early Tundras.

Sent from my 831C using Tapatalk

Flyer69

Observer
Please consider my 1st gen

Dear Decked,

I'm running the old "tub system", and my knees hate me every time I need something from the back of the truck-cave. My master plan is to eventually make or buy a drawer system for 2 reasons:

The obvious one... To store my camp kitchen, tools, recovery gear, etc. securely and out of sight, and still have easy access to all of it.

The not-so-obvious one... To create another sleeping space for kids. Right now my wife, my 7-year old daughter and I sleep in our rooftop tent together. It's cozy, but we are in the process of adopting another kid and I want to create a space for 2 kids and a dog to sleep comfortably. It would be really great to get them out of the rooftop tent so my wife and I aren't smushed or kissing canvas in the middle of the night! The platform would fill that bill.

I'm a U.S. Merchant Marine captain working a month on/month off schedule, so I'll have plenty of opportunity to put your product to the test and report back regularly. I hope you'll consider my rig as one of your test trucks!

Thanks,
Paul Schuyler
Los Osos, CA

Build thread:http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/157655-Flyer-s-02-Tundra-adventure-build

Attachments

• Packed up1.jpeg
    Packed up1.jpeg
    100.5 KB · Views: 40
  • JT Camp 2.jpg
    JT Camp 2.jpg
    593.6 KB · Views: 44

BBsound

Adventurer
Literally hundreds of people will see a DECKED system being used in my truck. I am a competitive shooter in 3 Gun and precision rifle series matches. We use lots of gear that needs secure storage while traveling and ease of access once we arrive at our destination.
We drive from stage to stage at matches, line our trucks up side by side to allow quick access to all our needed gear. The DECKED system will literally be on display in actual use. I travel all over the mid-east coast (Virgina, North Carolina, West Virginia, Pennsylvania, Kentucky, Georgia) to approximately 16-20 matches a year.
The DECKED system will also be used for hunting, camping with my family, and kayaking.
I am currently using a homemade wooden drawer system that has issues. The rollers can not handle the amount of weight stored in the drawers, and the top is too weak to hold much weight on top without flexing into the drawer making it very hard to move.

IMG_3616.JPG

IMG_3618.JPG

IMG_3619.JPG

Last edited:

zeebm45

Toyota Tacoma For Testing!!!

Toyota Tacoma - 2013 TRD OR

Would love a chance to try this system out. Do all sorts of different types of traveling/usage of the truck bed and think this would be a great fit! Travel between Colorado and South Dakota and need a system that works to store all of my gear and my dogs (all 3 of them)... Also need something that works at the shooting range to transport rifles safely and secure ... And camping equipment have plenty of that and need to make room again for the equipment and the dogs ... oh and don't forget hunting season ...

IMG_1465.JPG
IMG_5133.JPG
IMG_3937.JPG
IMG_3608.jpg
IMG_2108[1].jpg

Thanks for your consideration!

ZJARCHER

Adventurer
Hey Decked guys
I'm an avid backcountry bowhunter here in AZ. I work for an AZ based outfitter and spend roughly 160-180 days days a year in the field. My truck is one of my most heavily used tools to get where we're going. As of now, stuff is put into the bed or the cab and strapped down with no real protection from the elements. I'd love to give Decked a go and see what it does for me. I own a 2012 Carli Suspended Dodge Ram. When I'm not hunting, I enjoy doing some high speed desert smackin' with the truck. The truck sees a BIG variation of terrain and anything from slow-goin trails to 60+mph whoop slappin. I'm not going to beat around the bush, you'll get a real, honest review.
I'll add more pictures when I track them down. Thanks for the opportunity!

Last edited:

why3zx

Observer
First, thanks for the opportunity!

Wonderful to see a fellow Idahoan coming up with innovative solutions for those of us who consider our vehicles part of life's adventure!

I would love to throw our hat in the ring. We base our active lives out of a 2004 Dodge Ram 2500, it takes us to the ski hills in the winter, tows our boat to numerous competitive and pleasure fishing excursions all summer, and serves as base camp for hunting and gathering in the fall. We just rebuilt the truck almost top to bottom; Full suspension by KORE, FOX, and Carli. Brand new interior. And full drive-train. Basically we are committed to this rig!

Above all however, and probably what can make the review relevant for a lot of people on this site, is that it also serves as our living quarters. We have been using the bed of the truck (covered with a LEER Qx topper) as a secure, comfortable, warm and dry place to sleep throughout all of these activities. And while it offers all of those comforts, gear storage is always a problem. A system like this could make for much quicker transitions from fun to sleep by allowing a majority of gear to sleep soundly beneath us. As well as provide a larger platform for sleeping accommodations.

And now for some pics!

Test cycling new suspension.

Sleeping quarters.

Fun parts :)

A little nicer inside with heated, cooled, 4th gen leather!

Thanks again!

Crooked1

I'm In!!

The wife and I are starting the build on our 2010 Tundra Crewmax (sorry for the uninspired parking lot shot).

20160505_093047.jpg

Not so long ago we were pretty active in the great outdoors. Backpacking, rock climbing, rafting, and the like. Just us and Jake (our lab mix). Then life happened. Bad economy, lost job, moved to find work all while the wife was finishing up her grad degree. Pretty common stuff for a lot of folks over the last 8 years.

Now things are good. Even better... we now have a little girl. So the wife and I were talking about the fact that it has been 5 years since we had even gone camping. Before the relocation we lived in Charlotte, NC with all of the coast and the Smoky's to explore. Now we are in Tulsa, OK and I have to admit we haven't really grasped the opportunities for outdoor adventure that exists around us. Sure the Rockies are a bit of a road trip, but the TAT runs nearby, not to mention the Ozarks, and the Ouachita Mountains. Backpacking is a little impractical now with a 18 month old and a 14 year old dog. So now we are committed to an expo style build to enable all of us to get out there.
20160306_132428.jpg

We have a Snugtop Rebel topper on order and a RTT to go on it. I started designing the drawer system I was going to build in SketchUp but, now I'm here. My design differed quite a bit as you might imagine. However, I am intrigued by the possibilities as I will be adding a house battery, propane tanks, fresh water tank and refrigerator to your system. Jake will have his dedicated bed up near the cab that will be connected by a compression boot. At your deck level he can damn near lay down with his head on the back seat back.

In closing, thank you for your consideration. Regardless of your choice you have given me some inspiration for my own design. And finally one more shameless pic of cuteness.
IMG952698.jpg

joel

Observer
This is like a personals ads for truck owners. I enjoy long drives on the beach and sipping wine by backcountry firelight...

P.S. WHERE IS THE TACOMA OPTION!!!

JCMatthews

Tour Guide
My wife and I have explored most of the western United States, and have traveled to Alaska twice and to Mexico. We are planning some trips closer to home this summer. Being a school teacher does not give me excess funds, but I do have a lot of time in the summer to explore. We travel in our '05 DC Tundra with our M416 in tow. With 5 of us (three kids) you can imagine that space is at a premium. Last year I built my own system to help with storage and give us a way to organize our tools and gear and still sleep on our Alaska trip. We spent 31 consecutive nights sleeping on it. We've been many places and plan to see more. Your storage solution would see many useful miles in the bed out our truck storing everything from tools to stuffed animals.

Attachments

• IMG_1299.JPG
    IMG_1299.JPG
    167.1 KB · Views: 37
  • Alaska 2015 077.jpg
    Alaska 2015 077.jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 31
  • The Dollhouse 021-1.jpg
    The Dollhouse 021-1.jpg
    168.1 KB · Views: 39
  • The Dollhouse 065-1.jpg
    The Dollhouse 065-1.jpg
    115 KB · Views: 33
  • The Dollhouse 045-1.jpg
    The Dollhouse 045-1.jpg
    138.8 KB · Views: 42
Last edited:

colodak

Adventurer
It is too bad your not looking for mid-size pickups, I have a 2015 Nissan Frontier, Crew Cab Long Bed that I'm looking for a setup vs. custom making my own.

paranoid56

Adventurer
i know you want full size, but looking at taco vs tundra, the taco almost sells 2x as many trucks vs a tundra. there is a huge market for the 5ft bed. there were over 2.1million tacos sold from 2002-present
thats a lot of midsize trucks.
so yea, ramp up on the midsize and pick me :D
would be super helpful to organized all my crap when camping/offroading :D
LO6cIVP1h7QHcRI_5OND8Kr-c_Q6Uk6-YEmXmxGNF1U6coliNl348NJaIHl5lXl9DxEMaA2AYC2xx_6qRekPCuL9VrZuUK0rd0xUwOC5cO---uzVZtdkPwmXBCs49xKrzW4RvBWwH7daBv9iX_XUXO3sdTF-CfKwnEalzFibHiq952a2k8nqN1V4zPmT1c9frZTNkYdXeCfld9pRvXEbpIir14gxnpCtDqoIhvckbQojs87h9EdneP87yM0ZvWjgfopbSIkMHw1iYgRcCtwbHQYkJv8fRGAELkyGf-FPQGijPJE9swPKYOo167k6_G7iDtrH8APd2JoLVyK47EDZYBZ4h0hLx5x8t_cRNxxR4liQxI7Sh7NSid8GPO3ht6oCFJP-76L4Dc3kq9fIAXPbolM60Lw_nuzcVBbYzVXn2M93k2S6_u_3zFiw4lNOXuXjcVHe6fz-86LBdcsGm-izWSIu4CuNussFvyKrD0cVSGtQwl_pnO-qS3ty6dOtfDN7jAKkDVs6kdskkwQHwf2PB4hzsh7ozUhZJ-sZlEJ6v41K8cHxTNJT3fg1mKYlGQSO=w1034-h775-no

5HGEidhdB7XKKgJvo7pPvB14KdrJSxadkrj2j76SskgwbXabWLaHmTWWvqvyv7DNvYunqo4xcuiqCWRFIQ1QAY2hj0C3Q7Job1cWoqj1ojEXnAGAkcojk5YoCdbi3k6bm8BzPPcsGSnYnozbDbRWYJ0e1bKtncihgN1iagKzQLKoKLqNHOLoKQJKYfls3DOC84Y_TAHJVXJPXQ-olSD6oYVDFZDidOOuKcWD5scacjXDfdASBWr-vLAv2g89OvbmjlH0JoL-lve66ilDhGz76SQYzJpDtVWX0RRqtsHatkgudf3lolAfpqk1jXXXNDL9kSdlMRZJr3c_n_Cm7ew5SdDHdqLq3VYSmMLeBANkarHMJNHSsyN4j2sjZR3G3KVh3pZKiRQULsc5_Jdlf6-68tlxxZzqiBSYLcNNQzcGgwiuxJ-jmlftwl5VRsHmAxyv3Kwld3IjQ7h7om_xRhLUb78eV3Q7ohSMDSbsspO9eMfYUPTXKWsmejICkoArW_1BOkKsw0dN478q4J7t8aGOMRWdMq4eCKKggWXsYO8KBDJR3DQZbgh-0_BrfelWUqvj=w582-h775-no

nyGm8uuRJ2QgotgUtE4DA-vEmbtrc3nWU0nWUU9_bQ0YT8JY7bEHy4N66nPG3s6bkZcNDzfun0SBMKeQr2-AhVKLaS7t-ZQ0IHReXimQg3YoISQdrsu8hGRA3PpQAIxhSP_Nv59zgmGSk91h9A9HU8nIZ0GDnIpG9PZyVJ70gpj9N-IMR5tJx731ZCKx7KzyH0Zo7Jk-WZA3r4LcLYlofqOUhDiOLytnU-hD-mwMxSDbZJdFG9WdAuBwK6DgZoqzO25SJjJ1wW5sM6S0WqHmj6czI5QNHaK7hxhFnx-Dn7YMdh2QIQKWeRkwfEnWU6bvSTT6cAP5Q8GV6kNIOD_frvjPty2hNm7UgnPI2U1uH1UwBgblEhQcgeWqHVJXuULARiVxtSEtAfZ1szVHRf5-eW6mZL6FG0CxD8txOKPsiMeAuew9BfJfwzX2N5cf-CBo3nJBocvBZu7Dduksww689Ah7DZWFQAiI_HLrwHx1C4QimdYWcM9I5XBd8aW9ZUHxDKhcftRc4CuTXVrkcWeWWuJ91UEOFHnHoPI_5KAbI9jamyrx0YJZaaAd8jdcc6gs=w582-h775-no

Shawntt17

Thanks For the Chance :)

Hello My name is Shawn, I wanted to start off by saying thanks for chance, I think it is a really great thing you guys are doing. I know I am new here (long time lurker) so I will tell you a little bit about myself. I am a 33yr old husband and father of three beautiful kids, I have been camping and enjoying the outdoors since I was 2yrs old. I have camped in everything from a tent to a 40ft motorhome (not really camping haha). I am currently starting my expedition build to take the family and enjoy the outdoors.

The build is just starting but a here it is. Starting off with a 2003 Ford F-350 FX4 power stroke diesel completely bullet proofed, sitting on 37 inch yokohama's wrapped around Ultra Motorsports wheels, kenwood dvd headunit with kicker speakers, kenwood ham radio. Recently added an ARE camper shell, and just purchased a CVT summit series roof top tent (soon to be mounted on top of the camper shell). I would love the opportunity to represent your drawer system in my truck.

Plans this summer are to camp along both the Atlantic and Gulf coasts, since I am new to Florida, will also be camping in a couple of national forest's and gonna finish the summer up with a trip to overland expo east where I would love to display and talk about your drawer system.

Thanks Shawn

(P.S. I am willing to include your logo on the side of my truck)

rsz_dsc08109.jpg

rsz_dsc08110.jpg

rsz_dsc08112.jpg Tent sitting on my wifes car until my rack gets here for the truck :)

I forgot to mention my son and I compete in local RC rock crawling and this system would be great for getting our equipment to these events, while staying organized.

Last edited:

Gallowbraid

Where's that road go?
We won't have these until the Taco owners of America come and storm our building with torches and take hostages (that's what it feels like anyway!).
This round is for the full size vehicle series but we will definitely have the midsize offer here when they are available as well.

I'm lighting my torch.

DECKED

Supporting Sponsor
I hope all the interest in this thread by first gen Tundra owners encourages Decked to make a system that fits our trucks. I contacted the company a month or two ago, and was told the system is too wide for the early Tundras.

Sent from my 831C using Tapatalk

Hey Wheelsup,
It's a matter of molding and massive tooling costs that prevent us from creating a GEN 1 Tundra solution. The rear of the GEN 1 Tundra bed is simply narrower than our overall system width. Ironically, my dad drives that same vehicle and I can't even give him a nice father's day present.
However, it is sort of possible, but you have to cut the rear ammo can out a but which does present a few challenges. It will take some of the payload capacity away, but if you are using it for traveling and sleeping on, not hauling massive items, it shouldn't matter that much. But it would void the warranty etc.

Thanks for the comments!
DECKED

DECKED

Supporting Sponsor
That's a great looking truck and a killer set up! As mentioned further down in this thread, GEN 1 Tundra's don't fit our product as they are too narrow in the bed at the tailgate end. It is sort of possible, but less than ideal.
Thanks for the interest!
DECKED

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz