Took the plunge with a Schutt M101

WarPig BBQ

Well guys, I've been lurking around here reading threads and getting ideas. I found a great local deal on this M1101 yesterday and snatched it up! I run a competition bbq team named WarPig BBQ and will be converting this trailer to become our newest rig. I plan on mounting a Pitmaker BBQ Safe (see picture , without the wheels of course) on the trailer facing outwards so that I can walk up to it and open the doors. I have a Thule rooftop luggage rack in the garage not being used so I plan on mounting that on some legs so that I can hang speakers/ tv and other gear along with the added top-side storage it offers. I'm definitely thinking of adding an ARB awning to the rack as well. I'll try to post pics as I go along and I am very open to suggestions. The trailer is an 09 model and the tires still have the nipples on them! I'm very impressed with how clean it is. For my use, I'll need the trailer to sit lower so I'm guessing I'll have to sell the wheels and tires and get smaller ones.
Got the trailer for $800 and I have a project budget of $2,000.
20150919_183613.jpg
20150919_183634.jpg
20160126_114638.jpg
20160126_114842.jpg
BBQ-Safe-Wheels-Pitmaker-1b_1.jpg

Last edited:

cyclic

Adventurer
I cut the military end off and replaced it with a standard 7 pin from any parts store. Then just a bunch of 12v bulbs, either LED or regular work fine. The easiest drop is smaller tires. You can sell those for a pretty penny and then just get a set of take off rims from a 1 ton and your done. As long as they are not metric (new 1 tons) they pretty much all fit. It rides and tow's SO MUCH better with the lighter tires.

RagnarD

Adventurer
No need to cut the wires. Buy the mil connectors, some 7 wire cable, and plug. Should be able to attach the civilian pigtail to the junctuion box/area. If you cut the wires, cut them on the plug side of the connectors. The mil connectors fit into a retainer clamp/plate.

That jumper would be awkward to use on a regular basis. It's a decent option for recovery. Only the LEDs are 12/24v. You may have regular bulbs. Will be able to tell once you connect to tow vehicle.

i-S7f5QWM-L.jpg

Last edited:

RagnarD

Adventurer
My experience is that a plain pintle hook is quieter than a ball combo. Also, if you tow the mil trailer a lot with the ball, you will mangle up the ball and it will start to cause issues with ball couplers. For the price of the BW, you could easily put together a dedicated pintle and dedicated ball set up.

Having tried a lot of combinations, I settled on a 15K pintle hook. Works well with the mil and civilian sized lunnete rings.

cyclic

Adventurer
If your keeping it pintle on the trailer, then most definitely get a pintle hitch and a ball hitch. Keep them separate pieces, you'll be happier in the long run.

WarPig BBQ

Vinyl Wrap

I have decided to primer the trailer in black, rhino liner the cargo area and vinyl wrap the exterior in Multicam Black. Here is a picture for reference.

camo.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94