Would a Shipping Container Build Be Possible?

Hey guys,

I have been lurking around this forum, and watching some of the amazing builds.

I would like to ask a potentially dumb question...

As I look at various big rig builders, such as ER, GEV, Unicat, Bliss, etc... who take six figure truck, and then add an addition $200K plus box.

Would it be possible to to take the same rig, and start with a $3K shipping container box?

I am assuming, that there are a lot of very bright people here who would do this if it was possible... so what am I missing?

Thanks in advance for the enlightenment.

Herbie

Rendezvous Conspirator
For starters, a steel shipping container will be heavy (bad) and will need more than a normal amount of insulation (more weight, bad), and so I would imagine would not contribute to good manners off road. Aside from being a premade box, I'm not sure it offers many advantages over just building your own box. Most of the cost associated with the big-boy rigs is in what goes into the box. If you are really after an inexpensive premade box that you can fit out more cheaply, I'd say start with an old U-Haul or similar truck.

tarditi

Explorer
Herbie nailed it - also consider that shipping containers are designed around the logistics involved in hauling goods and materials on OTR trucks and loading/unloading on ships and trains... - not really the same requirements for a overlanding shelter.

Additionally, you'll need a semi rig with conex-compatible bed to move it around.
Unless you drive a mad max war rig, this will really limit your unpaved travels.

Good idea - not sure it is worth considering for an overlanding platform though.

Thanks for the feedback guys.

I believe you are all correct, weight would be an issue. Even an Aluminum 20' weights about 3500 lb.

I knew there had to be a reason no one was already doing this, at least as an overland vehicle.

Still, a fun idea :)

container-truck.jpg

westyss

Explorer
But then you could drive to a dock, unload the container off the truck, drive the truck into the container and ship it off somewhere for extended travel!

zracer

Banned
Hey guys,

As I look at various big rig builders, such as ER, GEV, Unicat, Bliss, etc... who take six figure truck, and then add an addition $200K plus box.

Would it be possible to to take the same rig, and start with a $3K shipping container box?

I am assuming, that there are a lot of very bright people here who would do this if it was possible... so what am I missing?

I think the part you are missing is where the costs are. Everything inside the box, under the box, fitted into the walls (windows) and attached to the outside of it add up to the $200k plus box.

A bigger deal than trying to insulate it is how to ground it during lightning storms :) There is youtube vid of an airliner taking lightning on a runway. It was a direct hit and fried the tires traveling to ground. I'm looking for a sturdy structure too. Camping at Lone Pine Campground, CA near the base of Mt. Whitney (15,500' summit) there was a story where someone died in the shelter up there because lightning hit them while "taking shelter". The roof is metal.

I think the part you are missing is where the costs are. Everything inside the box, under the box, fitted into the walls (windows) and attached to the outside of it add up to the $200k plus box.

I hear you.

Just to be clear, this post was never about undermining the companies that produce those crazy, awesome rigs.

This was simply a "is it even possible?" type of post.

We all know this is an expensive "lifestyle", and sometimes I wonder how crazy we all are :)

You can have a custom home built for about $200/sft, yet a box will cost you $550/sft without a rig to drive it around.

You can go to big box store and purchase a stainless steel fridge for $1200. Shrink it down to a tenth of the size, running 12v, and declare it "Expedition" worthy, and it could cost your twice as much.

For the record, if I had a cool half million in the bank, it would be replaced tomorrow with a new global travel rig in the driveway. If I could talk the wife into liquidating everything, and invest in a big rig - there would be a for sale sign in the lawn in a heartbeat :)

Last edited:

Victorian

Approved Vendor : Total Composites
Modern "european" style campers don't have to cost 100k. Our flat packed composite camper bodies start at just under 10.000.

Cheers,

zracer

Banned
I hear you.

Just to be clear, this post was never about undermining the companies that produce those crazy, awesome rigs.

This was simply a "is it even possible?" type of post.

We all know this is an expensive "lifestyle", and sometimes I wonder how crazy we all are :)

You can have a custom home built for about $200/sft, yet a box will cost you $550/sft without a rig to drive it around.

You can go to big box store and purchase a stainless steel fridge for $1200. Shrink it down to a tenth of the size, running 12v, and declare it "Expedition" worthy, and it could cost your twice as much.

For the record, if I had a cool half million in the bank, it would be replaced tomorrow with a new global travel rig in the driveway. If I could talk the wife into liquidating everything, and invest in a big rig - there would be a for sale sign in the lawn in a heartbeat :)

I didn't hear it as a complaint :)

For what its worth, there was a TV show where people were buying those containers at an auction. The show was about how businesses were flipping the containers into a house and selling them. One episode two containers were stacked and offset to make a two story 'house' and the second story had a deck where the top of the first story container was the deck platform. That was sold for $24k and I think they had 1/2 the money put into it. It had everything a house would have such as rooms, sliding glass doors, kitchen pretty much everything but an A/C. It would be like an oven in direct CA sun because it was hardly insulated. The buyer paid I think about $5k to ship it.

Silverado08

Observer
Hey guys,

Instead of a container why not take an existing camper trailer and bolt that on a flat bed rig,,if you arent rich buy an older one..
I was actualy thinking about doing just such an build..
,Airstream would be my choice as its light and aerodynamic..or maybe one of those fiberglass made TT ( Casita) as those are quite durable strong and need no maintanance..

Silverado08

Observer

A bigger deal than trying to insulate it is how to ground it during lightning storms :) There is youtube vid of an airliner taking lightning on a runway. It was a direct hit and fried the tires traveling to ground. I'm looking for a sturdy structure too. Camping at Lone Pine Campground, CA near the base of Mt. Whitney (15,500' summit) there was a story where someone died in the shelter up there because lightning hit them while "taking shelter". The roof is metal.
What kind of shelter was it?
Hiding in tent,in cave or under a tree is the worst most dangerous and stupid thing to do..

Most campers are metal,so are cars trucks and buses..Ive never heard of anyone dying from litghning in those yet
Bc during lightning strike electric current would slide harmlesly into the ground ..
Even being inside a metal cage one can be safe

https://youtu.be/eNxDgd3D_bU

https://youtu.be/Zi4kXgDBFhw

zracer

Banned
What kind of shelter was it?
Hiding in tent,in cave or under a tree is the worst most dangerous and stupid thing to do..

Most campers are metal,so are cars trucks and buses..Ive never heard of anyone dying from litghning in those yet
Bc during lightning strike electric current would slide harmlesly into the ground ..
Even being inside a metal cage one can be safe

https://youtu.be/eNxDgd3D_bU

https://youtu.be/Zi4kXgDBFhw

you have a point. I haven't seen it
nobody died in this: ff to 0:15 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HZVX921Z0wc

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94