Astrophotography - Post your pictures here

stingray1300

Explorer
We camped in Death Valley back in January. I was bummed about the very full moon though... hope to go back
But speaking of the aurora... taken 2 years ago in Tok:
DSC_0371 - Copy.jpg
DSC_0395 - Copy.JPG
DSC_0401 - Copy.jpg
Taken with a Nikon D90, 18-200DX/VR lens (set at 18) and F3.5, 10-13 seconds at ISO 1600. Metering was set on "pattern". It was 22º out when I took these. I was shooting as fast as I could for the hour that they were out. I hope to get some star/galaxy/Milky Way shots in September when we go to Southern Utah.

LostInTheWorld

Builder/Traveler
Beautiful aurora shots!

How much was the aurora moving? If you had shot them at like 30 sec and maybe ISO 640, would they have blurred any?

Michael

Curious, did you guys do anything special to get both the fire and the stars to expose correctly? Haven't tried it, but it would seem that the fire would tend to wash out with as wide open as you have to run to get the stars.

Try two exposures, varying ISO. Load into photoshop as layers, then mask out the areas that you don't want in each layer. For the fire, use a much lower ISO, or maybe even a neutral density filter. Rule of 500 on the stars, but I believe you have a tracking head, so a moot point.

UsubM

My first time trying to photograph the milky way. Taken last night in the Capitan Mountains of New Mexico

Canon SL1
18mm
ISO 3200
20 sec
f3.5
Surefire G2 on lighting duty for the closer trees and branches

This is a composite of two images to make a panorama. Hopefully I'll be getting a Tokina 11-16mm f2.8 soon

milkyway and mars by Micah Uchida, on Flickr

Rattler

Thornton Melon's Kid
My first time trying to photograph the milky way. Taken last night in the Capitan Mountains of New Mexico

Canon SL1
18mm
ISO 3200
20 sec
f3.5
Surefire G2 on lighting duty for the closer trees and branches

This is a composite of two images to make a panorama. Hopefully I'll be getting a Tokina 11-16mm f2.8 soon

milkyway and mars by Micah Uchida, on Flickr

Nice shot. What time did you shoot it at? My buddy and I were out taking some fireworks photos and he mentioned the Milky Way coming up but it was pretty low and only 11 PM EST.

I find it addicting taking shots at night. I had the 11-16 Tokina. I had to replace it so I went with the 11-20 for a few more $$. I like the added range it provides.

Rattler

Thornton Melon's Kid
Took this one in Michigan's Upper Peninsula over the weekend. The blurriness is the winds off Lake Superior blowing them around some.
13653253_10204956651996599_785050286084245651_o.jpg

JDalcour

Observer
Hello everyone, as much as I would love to attempt deep sky I have only experienced with wide angle astro.
I use a Nikon D610 and a Nikon D750 and mainly my 14-24mm f/2.8. Recently toying around with my LGv10 at night as it can run 30 second exposures.

Big Bend

Caprock

New Mexico

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles