FJ Cruiser, Family friendly?????

KC Cruiser

Adventurer
Just wondering if anyone is using an FJ Cruiser with a young family. I drive a built up 80 series and we also have a Subaru Outback. The Outback is getting a little tight with 2 girls, 2 years old and 9 weeks old. Just looking for some feedback if these are family friendly with car seats and the suicide doors and all.

Thanks!!!

Bergger

Explorer
I do not own one but I did look at one for a while and decided against getting one because I think it is one of the least back seat friendly SUVs out there. We ended up getting an 06 Xterra. Go look at one then sit in the back seat with the doors closed. You will see what I mean. And I'd hate to lift a baby in an out of a car seat in an FJC.

durango_60

Explorer
I'm not an Fj Cruiser owner but I strongly considered becoming one when my 80 became long in the tooth. My primary reason for going to the darkside with the Jeep instead of the FJC is the rear seat situation, with my 2 kids ages 3 and 6 I had fears of a mutiny if I stuck them in the cavelike FJC for long trips. My wifes Outback is much more kid friendly than the FJC.

FlyNdrive

Adventurer
Bergger said:
I do not own one but......

durango_60 said:
I'm not an Fj Cruiser owner but....

Well, I do have an FJ and a family. I find it just as easy to get children in and out. I have a 18 mo that uses a car seat and it is no chore. I also find it easier than my wife's SUV when she was in a carrier because without the B-pillar there is a lot of room to take the carrier in and out and the space is not limited to the size of one door.

The clam-shell doors also have the benefit of larger doors associated with a 2-door P/U.

I like it.

-Ben (FJ Owner)

kcowyo

ExPo Original
I work with a lady who has a TRD Edition of the FJ Cruiser. She loves it, me too. She also has two boys, ages 3 & 7.

She's been making the 5 hour drive to Denver with them a lot over the Spring. She came into my office recently, knowing I'm a Father and Toyota fan and said, "I can't take it anymore. I'm either going to trade in the FJ or trade in my kids!"

Her boys are pretty wild, but I know what she meant. I offered her half of what she paid for the FJ and told her I'd take the 7 year old since he can wash dishes. She's thinking it over.... ;)

Caduceus 80

We have them both (FJ and 80 series), and we absolutely avoid taking the FJ when we have our kids (2 years and newborn) with us. Using the carseats with the clamshells and getting the kids in and our is a pain in the rear end. If they are able to climb in themselves you may be OK, but if you have car seats or booster seats, we find it a major inconvenience.

In this case (and for us) 4 doors is much greater than two and a half.

Usually I drive the FJ solo, which is just fine by me
:)

KC Cruiser

Adventurer
Thanks for all the feedback guys.

I find our Subaru Outback a pain in the ***** when we take the family places because I have to move my seat pretty far up to get the carseat in/out, that and it is sooooo low to the ground. On the other end of the spectrum, my 80 is lifted 4" and is tough for my 5' wife to get them in and out. Looks like the 4runner might be the better option.

rynosurf

Adventurer
My best friend has a FJ and she said that the only drawback is getting her kids (3 years and 1 year ) out of the rear in parking lot situations; the doors can be a pain if you are close to other cars. Other than that she loves it.

DominicG

Observer
If i had kids that were car seat age, i would not put them in the back of an FJ.

Simply would not be easy to access in an emergency.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bad Taste