Reasonably priced car tool set?

I Leak Oil

Expedition Leader
And and at least a 24" pry bar!

But all you really need is ...

3262854379_0f1c12dbf4.jpg

ducttape_zps7a352117.jpg
I have the 3 pc set that includes vice grips.

KG4NEL

Observer
Right now, I have:

Duralast sockets through 19mm (although Jeeps are inordinately fond of 18s, which I had to buy seperately)
Proto 3/8" drive torx set
Wright 3/8" round head ratchet - prefer it over SO dual 80s, best ratchet I've ever used
Breaker bar
Knipex pliers - use them once and you'll be a convert from Channel Locks
Estwing 4lb BFH
Klein needlenoses
Vice Grips - places like Harry Epstein's sell the original Petersens, not the Chinese Irwins

TwinStick

Explorer
Well, I bit the bullet & bought the HF 301 piece tool kit. I got it for less than the sale price. I had a super coupon.

I gotta say, i am impressed. Very impressed. It will be going in our camper or truck, so i don't have to keep taking tools from the garage every time we travel & then put them back in the garage. PITA.

1leglance

2007 Expedition Trophy Champion, Overland Certifie
I have started working from my "trail kit" as was recommended in this thread and I has helped show me what is missing.
Of course most folks have really nice home setups then just basics in the rig....
but the way I look at it, when I really NEED my tools, I want to know what I have, that it works and that it is good quality.

Local garage sales are also a nice source of tools I have noticed.

I like this thread. Very helpful.
The Dewalt set looks decent for the price. I don't think I can bring myself to buy that much Harbour Freight stuff. That kit is way bigger than I'd need. On the 100 series it seems like I could just about get by with a 10, 12, 14, 17mm wrenches and call it good, but then Toyota is way ahead of me and has all of that in the roadside tool kit already.

I think I'm going to piece together my own kit of what I specifically need, so I make sure I have stuff like that 22mm mentioned previously. Might be a bit more expensive this route, but I think it'll be much more helpful and useful.

toyotech

Expedition Leader
I like this thread. Very helpful.
The Dewalt set looks decent for the price. I don't think I can bring myself to buy that much Harbour Freight stuff. That kit is way bigger than I'd need. On the 100 series it seems like I could just about get by with a 10, 12, 14, 17mm wrenches and call it good, but then Toyota is way ahead of me and has all of that in the roadside tool kit already.

I think I'm going to piece together my own kit of what I specifically need, so I make sure I have stuff like that 22mm mentioned previously. Might be a bit more expensive this route, but I think it'll be much more helpful and useful.

Trust me. This is the better route. You will end up doing this after buying a 300 set of tools and find out you only use like 30 of the tools in it and end up buying stuff that works later.
Craftsmen is a good place to start. They are sold at local stores so you can warranty them out when you travel if ever needed.

Harbor fright is great for long needle nose plies. Get a pair of straight, 45, and 90 degree for those hose clamps. HF has ok vice grip for clamping off hoses or look into their 3 price plastic set of hose clamps.

Get a nice pair of swivel head ratchet wrenches and swivel head ratchet. Mainly because these are what will be used often so I rather be comfortable with a smooth tools

Rezarf <><

Explorer
Pawn shop + cash + a list of needed tools + a Saturday = great tools at great prices. I've been finding Snap-On and other boutique brands at smoking deals, just keep a list and keep scratching items off.

Fwiw, I lean towards bits and handles verses multiple drivers in the rig to save space. Also, tool rolls will really shrink a blow molded tool case's footprint significantly!

Kerensky97

Xterra101
...but then Toyota is way ahead of me and has all of that in the roadside tool kit already.
Both on my Toyota and my Nissan I noticed the same thing, they standardize everything to fit 3-4 sizes. I like to have a small basic tool kit, then make sure to add normal and deep sockets and combo wrenches in the 3-4 sizes the vehicle uses. Then toss in an adjustable wrench, regular and needlenose pliers, a breaker bar, snap ring pliers, a hammer, standalone phillips and flathead screwdrivers, and one of those screwdrivers with the magnetic tip that can swap out 30 different kinds of heads.

Although it's amazing how much of the rig you can dismantle with those 3-4 socket and wrench sizes.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior