Reasonably priced car tool set?

Nivel Egres

Observer
What is a reasonably priced (say under $200) comoact car tool set that has most basic stuff needed for quick repairs on the road? My current ride is a Volvo so I am assuming it needs metric tools.

Bigunit

Adventurer
Can't beat the tool set at Costco for about $100 and a great return policy that has metric and SAE.

patoz

Expedition Leader
Both kits are short the most important, BFH.

And and at least a 24" pry bar!

But all you really need is ...

3262854379_0f1c12dbf4.jpg

ducttape_zps7a352117.jpg

Nivel Egres

Observer
All right, ordered the one from harborfreight, seems like for $200 it got everything I'll ever need to make my life ever more difficult. I do have a sledge hammer for pounding in tent stakes :)

rayra

Expedition Leader
BFH (a 3# maul works nice), duct tape, Alumnaseal or Bronzeseal for radiator leaks, radiator hose and heater hose repair kits. Put a new S-belt on your car and stash the current one as a spare. Spare fuses, wire, fire extinguisher. A multimeter. Jumper cables. Flares. qt of oil qt of trans, a cheap gal of potable water than can be used in your radiator and as a bucket / transport / canteen AND as a funnel if necessary. Several 33gal trashbags. Work gloves. Cheap Tarp. Tire plug kit and Goop. An air pump. A flashlight or headlamp. paracord or bailing wire.

<$100 would have done for the tools you'd actually need afield. And the volume lost to the other 250 pieces in that kit would store the rest of the stuff I listed.

But if you don't have any mechanic's hand tools at all, that's a decent kit anyway. Just saying don't think you are done with the issue just because you bought a 300pc tool set. There's a lot of things you still should have that aren't in that kit.

I'm sure there's been a 'junk on the bunk' topic around here some time in the past, but I've never seen it. Maybe there ought to be one so people can compare the real handy stuff or get some ideas, in addition to the string of 'fashion accessory' topics in this subforum. People lay out and photograph the pile of stuff they carry for emergencies, on-road and off. maybe describe / explain a few things they've found useful or better yet useful for more than one thing.

Maybe I've misunderstood the OP's intent, but given he's asking about basic tools, I bet I haven't. So I offer the other suggestions for things to carry.

eta - I carry all that and more, habits acquired from 30yrs+ of offroading and too much driving. I've needed every item one time or more. collapsing shovel always, better shovels when I'm deliberately heading off-road. Channel locks / adjustable pliers. That's besides Vise-Grips. Tow strap. partial roll of paper towels, toilet paper, duct tape, partial rolls as they take a lot less room and we're talking 'roadside emergency' after all. A Towel. Can't have a good intergalactic adventure without a towel.

Last edited:

Nivel Egres

Observer
I actually need a set of mechanic tools to do some easy car work, so I asked. Most of basic survival gear I got already and I am not doing anything extreme to warrant having that much stuff (your full list would take pretty much my entire trunk). This said, I might ditch the full size spare and go with Goop, so that would free up ton of space.

PS. Actually, one of the reasons for the mechanic set is a plan to learn some basic wrenching. The fact that I have a engineering degree and yet have to pay a mechanic to change my brake pads is rather appalling.

alia176

Explorer
I actually need a set of mechanic tools to do some easy car work, so I asked. Most of basic survival gear I got already and I am not doing anything extreme to warrant having that much stuff (your full list would take pretty much my entire trunk). This said, I might ditch the full size spare and go with Goop, so that would free up ton of space.

PS. Actually, one of the reasons for the mechanic set is a plan to learn some basic wrenching. The fact that I have a engineering degree and yet have to pay a mechanic to change my brake pads is rather appalling.

Good on you dude, time to learn some mechanicing stuff! Youtube will be a good resource for you.

pugslyyy

Expedition Vehicle Engineer Guy
I have very good success with one of the Costco tool sets that I paid $100 or so for.

When I'm working on my truck at home, I work from the truck tools first and go to my big tool box only when necessary. Over the years it has caused me to add a few tools. I highly recommend everyone using their trail tools for normal maintenance - best way to make sure you have the right tools!

rayra

Expedition Leader
...PS. Actually, one of the reasons for the mechanic set is a plan to learn some basic wrenching. The fact that I have a engineering degree and yet have to pay a mechanic to change my brake pads is rather appalling.

heh. That's a very good / valid reason. I'd thought you meant to carry in the vehicle. You can make do for most common roadside-fixable things with about a dozen hand tools. A multi-head screwdriver, pliers, vise grips, dykes, duct tape, adjustable wrench, a ratchet and a handful of common size sockets. etc.

btw, The fresh Harbor Freight mailer magazine has that 301pc kit on sale for $160. coupon code 74718084. And just in general their 20% coupons are good on just about anything at their 'regular/sale' prices. But not when they really mark stuff down on a sale. Since you just bought it you might be able to wrangle a $40 refund out of them. They're pretty good about that at the stores.

toyotech

Expedition Leader
Best bet is go down to your local dealer who works on your model vehicle. Ask them what tools they would carry. I was a toyotas tech for many years and I have designed a kit to include a few important tools you don't normally fine in a "basic tool kit"

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

toyotech

Expedition Leader
You just gonna leave that hangin out there...?

Share the wealth man...;^)

Haha well the extra tools not found will be more specific to my Toyota vehicles. A few that can be picked up at HF are the angled pliers.

Snap ring pliers from Sears
22mm wrench
Most my wrenches are longer than your basic tool sets
My wrenches also have ratchet box ends and flex head combo

My point is to buy better individual sets that you will actually use and will work.

Basic sets get you started but you end up changing them up for better stuff that works and are better

Buy sets when on sale via Sears. Gear wrench are very nice.

Wrench set
Screwdriver set (get some stubby but again this is more vehicle based)
Nice fine tooth ratchet 3/8 most common so have deep and short sockets.
3/8 air impact gun will cover most your needs

List goes on but buy individual sets will get you better and usable tools

Leave those "basic tool sets" to wife's that need to get their husband a x mas gift lol. ( wearing my Toyota uniform at Costco and someone asked me which took set she should get for her husband lol)

Happykamper

Explorer
Dewalt 200 piece ....there great heavy duty warrantied for life well organized great case. Steer clear of the Costco brand. You can look these dewalts up on Home Depot site usually on sale there but not in store. Or go to craigslist there there for 100 to 125 always brand new .

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne