Medical/First Aid Choices?

Ripper

Adventurer
Don't waste money on a snake bite kit. They are not very effective. Limiting or restricting movement of area bitten, keep Pt calm and immediate transport is a all you need to do. At no point should a person "suck poison" out of another person

Roger M.

Adventurer
I have a snake bite kit in my first aid equipment - this despite knowing full well that they're not only not recommended, but that they're essentially useless.

I suspect many others may have one as well.

In general terms, it seems only human nature to want to do something in an emergency, rather than the recommended snake-bite routine of doing nothing (except heading for a hospital as quickly as possible).

nwoods

Expedition Leader
There are no current first aid or EMS protocols being taught that advocate the use of any "snake bite" kit including the Sawyer that I'm familiar with. I work in EMS for a living and I'm a Wilderness First Aid Provider in my spare time.

They simply do not work as advertised.
x2

peneumbra

Explorer
People here in AZ complain about rattlesnakes, but imagine living in a landscape where you have to deal with creatures like spitting cobras and highly venomous sea snakes and aggressive vipers that hang out in trees and wait for you to walk under them so they can----

AAAAAH!!

Sorry - I just really scared myself...

fredgoodsell

Adventurer
There are no current first aid or EMS protocols being taught that advocate the use of any "snake bite" kit including the Sawyer that I'm familiar with. I work in EMS for a living and I'm a Wilderness First Aid Provider in my spare time.

They simply do not work as advertised.

This x100. My living is also in EMS and Wilderness EMS. Please don't use those things. Absolutely worthless.

Honu

lost on the mainland
only thing I always ad that are often not included are tincture of benzoin I used to use the bottles and qtips ? but saw they have one time use things now
I used mine a lot when I worked on boats taking care of tourists the only thing that holds band aids on

I think having other things you might not know how to use in a kit are OK only cause someone on scene might know how to use it
the saying in some crowds :) if you need a tourniquet you often need two as example

in a life long ago I worked in the FD mostly medic calls but most of that is lost today and living in AZ I am not used to things here as much as I was in the tropics so agree on training and knowing your area etc..

really my kit is kinda a mess now :) have to redo it again mix of bought and my own stuff

but I always carry some basic things with me tweezers and bandaids and a couple wipes etc.. just super small minimal thing to comfort the kids etc..
the other kit is in my truck all the time

Brewtus

Adventurer
I keep a custom kit myself. Never have liked the pre-packaged ones. And I keep it in one of these: http://www.amazon.com/Rothco-E-M-S-EMT-Emergency-Rescue/dp/B009T6IPNK/ref=sr_1_2_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1464934316&sr=8-2&keywords=ems+bag

One word about limiting your kit to your skill level... I understand the rationale, and for an every day kit, absolutely agree 100%. However, for a remote trip, especially outside of the country, don't cut out something you think you might need just because you don't have the certification to use it. While you may not be medically trained to do certain things, someone else there might be trained but doesn't have equipment. Also, if you're in a part of the world that's less developed, you may not be able to trust the sterility of a hospital's equipment. If you have some supplies, say a set of needles, you can have the hospital use them on you and you'll be more sure that you're not going to get some infection from dirty needles.

My $0.02 worth, for a remote trip, pack your medical supplies for what you're concerned about, not just what you think you can deal with yourself. Don't use something unless you're certain you know what you're doing, but simply having the equipment isn't going to cause a problem.

e60ral

2016 4Runner Trail w/KDSS
I started with the Adventure Medical Kits Adventure Medical Sportsman Grizzly Kit

I added:
more medication, additional quantities (aspirin, ibuprophen, benedryl, tylenol, cipro)
epi pen
glucose gel
tegaderm transparent film dressing
tincture of benzoin (it has tac wipes, but you can't be as precise with those)
a cheap wristwatch to time breathing/respiration
a cheap digital thermometer (just had the little heat strips)
another small roll of coban wrap

The grizzly has a removable waterproof section that is good for a day hike or backpacking trip if you configure that way (i would swap a few things) and the full pack lives in the truck for day-to-day use and also camping

The most important addition i made to the kit though was taking a NOLS/WMI first aid course

boisefj

Observer
I prefer the M2 Tourniquet, as they don't have a shelf life like CAT and SOF-T Tourniquets, and you can train with the one you plan on using, without voiding the warranty and being concerned about the tourniquet failing when you need it most. These can be self applied in less than 15 seconds and only require gross motor skills. The most complete trauma kits I have found to date for the price are at www.theactivityusa.com
I really like the one that is on the Portal holiday shopping guide right now, as it mounts on the back of the headrest.

Kevin108

Explorer
I don't really understand most first aid kits. I don't even carry band aids because they don't stick if you move or sweat. 95% of the time, all I've needed was a razor blade or safety pin to dig out a splinter, some Gorilla Tape to cover a blister, or some electrical tape and gauze to bandage up a cut. Add in ibuprofen for a good anti-inflammatory, acetaminophen to pull down a fever, diphenhydramine hydrochloride for allergic reactions or sleep aid, and aspirin for a headache or heart problems, and that's pretty much my kit. I also have all the basic personal toiletries, latex gloves, Neosporin, hydrocortisone cream, an ankle brace, super glue, nail clippers, tweezers, and eye drops. That has served me in every situation, whether enjoying the outdoors or doing construction. The times that kit has been insufficient were in the case of a scratched cornea, a cracked tooth, or major trauma.

I do carry a sewing kit for fixing clothes, but I hope it never comes down to having to repurpose that.

TwinStick

Explorer
I have MANY first aid kits. I make them all myself. When the kids were young & we went camping, I bought the largest rubber-maid food container that sealed water tight, that i could find at w-world. Filled it with stuff that I/we actually have & would use. I got my first aid training in the U.S. Army. Not an expert by no means, but have never came across a situation where I could not help at all, even bad car accidents---unless they were already DOA. I also use the clear plastic w/rubber seal containers of various sizes you can find at any outdoor store or sporting goods section. Those are great for smaller ones, like back pack's & duffel bags & auto's.

GREAT things to have:

HIGH QUALITY precision tweezers
magnifying glass
quality fingernail clippers
waterproof stretchy tape
waterproof white tape
eye flush cup & solution
Tecnu-poison oak/ivy cleanser
Calamine lotion
Large/Jumbo band-aids
regular size bad-aids
square gauze pads
Leatherman Micro tool with scissors and knife that is RAZOR sharp. Being razor sharp is important if you have to do any type of surgery.
reg Leatherman tool with good pliers
91% rubbing alchohol
Hydrogen peroxide
foot padding for blisters
finger splint
triple anti-bacterial ointment
iodine solution

& the list goes on & on. I can tell you that I have used just about everything in ours at one time or another, including surgery with the Leatherman & the scissors to fix a bleeding ingrown toenail on someone else's kid, that was in tears. I told him that he could go to the hospital with his dad & end their trip, or I could do what the hospital will do, only right here, with no anesthetic . I told him it would hurt, but only for a minute. He let me do it eventually & it was actually into his skin about 1/8-1/4". Never seen one that bad. Fixed him up, next morning, he was back to riding his dirt bike. Also a good idea to have a quality first-aid book, in a waterproof bag.

This is a good one: https://www.amazon.com/NOLS-Wilderness-First-Aid-Library/dp/0811728641

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles