Is this a good deal...

DieselFi5e

Observer
I see this is built for overlanding however I'm unsure of it's condition and how hard it was ran by the previous owners. Seeing that this is a site with vast knowledge can someone take a look and let me know what they think in regards to price, equipment and overall condition. Also if anyone has seen this rig in person how she looks.
https://fredericksburg.craigslist.org/cto/5524437700.html

TIA

gloriavoxdei

Adventurer
Take a look at powerstrokehelp.com or search him on YouTube. Bill does a breakdown of all the Ford powerstrokes and their weaknesses. Super knowledgable and great info. Look into what he says about the 6.4.

rayra

Expedition Leader
seems like a lot of money to me for an 8yr-old truck, as if all the bolt-on parts are still expected to fetch a high price. Used truck prices aren't that high now, are they?

I see a lot of fresh paint on the undercarriage. I'd wonder if that was just an appearance tune-up for the sale, or if it is masking worse corrosion issues. I tried to enhance the two underside pics, but there's not enough image data there to really make anything out. I only see light rust on the underside metal of the cab and bed, seems 'normal' for an east coast rig.

And I have to ask, what's the fun in buying an already built rig? But I like to build things.

wow, Edmunds and BlueBook say 24-28k for such a rig, stock. $31k doesn't seem bad by comparison, if there aren't any major faults. Still seems crazy high to me. 'Cash for Clunkers' really seems to have inflated prices in the Used market.

drewactual

Adventurer
folks either love or hate the 64 with little in between... it is a freakin powerhouse with only exhaust and tune- pushing 600hp and over 1k twisties... for this reason they are either pampered or abused, also with little in between. the engines are intricate more so than others, and an issue can quickly cascade into other issues, and no issue is cheap...

on the one hand, it looks like the guy took care of shortfalls... it looks well maintained... and the price is about right. they command a premium, and because they are, again, powerhouses capable of five second 0-60 and sub 13 second 1/4 miles. and again, that's the problem... some people treat them with respect and only tap the energy when they need to, and some people drive it like it's made to race...

it's a good looking rig... i'd def give it a look if i were interested. and i'd go through it carefully.

DieselFi5e

Observer
I appreciate everyones response. I'm still on the fence about it. But like one of you wrote, were in this game to spend the time building the rig because that's 95 % of the fun!

underdrive

jackwagon
All I gotta say is holy cow rear lift blocks!!!

00A0A_jsf0aIUe5U8_600x450.jpg

If you buy this, plan on getting a pair of proper replacement springs for the rear axle.

drewactual

Adventurer
jeez.... the tq those things can generate WILL spit those blocks like it's a wad of wet paper from a third graders drinking straw... Not "may", but WILL....

give me a few... I'll post a pic on how to do it on those particular rigs...

drewactual

Adventurer
traction-integrated-block.jpg

that is an integrated traction bar 7" block... one piece and it ain't goin' anywhere...

there are two suitable traction bars for this rig- one is made by PMF, and the other is made by OUO... both allow full articulation... The PMF seem to be better suited for towing applications, and the OUO for off-road applications... both are good systems, and both capable in either capacity, but if you're gonna split hairs, the advantages are as I've indicated.

these rigs, ESPECIALLY when tuned, dang near REQUIRE traction bars to limit or eliminate axle wrap. both of these do it... don't go cheap, get one of the two brands listed. your pinion and UJoints will thank you, and your transmission will shift butter smooth... unless I'm applying some go-go, I don't feel the shift... when I'm on it, I DO feel the shift, but not because of axle wrap but because the tires bark... this single mod is on the top five, easily.

Last edited:

tgreening

Expedition Leader
I see this is built for overlanding however I'm unsure of it's condition and how hard it was ran by the previous owners. Seeing that this is a site with vast knowledge can someone take a look and let me know what they think in regards to price, equipment and overall condition. Also if anyone has seen this rig in person how she looks.
https://fredericksburg.craigslist.org/cto/5524437700.html

TIA

Head studs - didn't need, unless he's running a monster tune and somehow managed to blow out the factory. The 6.4 doesn't have head issues like the 6.0 and will hold up to way way more boost. The y are good for just about any tune you can feed into the engine on the stock pump and injectors, unless you feed it a big tune and then want to do something like tow heavy and tow it like you stole it.

EGR delete - unnecessary as a rule on the 6.4. Rey few egr issues like the 6.0 and can usually just be turned off via your tuner.

My guess is this owner had a nice heavy foot. I'd avoid just based on the mods alone.

Biggest thing. Do you need a diesel? If the answer is no I'd avoid the 6.x series like the plague. Repair issues for the 6.0 are legendary. Repair issues for the 6.4 not nearly much, but what they both share is they are amazingly expensive to fix. Google a high pressure fuel pump repair for the 6.4 and see if you're still interested.

Do you WANT a diesel? If the answer is yes then look for some variation of the 7.3. Good engine. Can make decent power and long lived. One injector for my 6.4 cost almost as much as an entire set for my 7.3 idi.

Modern diesels are hard to beat for factory power, torque, and general all around performance. They are also hard to top when it comes to expense of repair.

If you aren't towing big, towing often, and /or towing to make money, you would be well served to avoid a modern diesel package. Are you ready for an $8,000.00 bill just to properly repair a fuel pump failure? Almost double that if you go to the Ford garage.

And it's over priced. :)

drewactual

Adventurer
^yup...

look at the passenger side... he has indexed the axle (for pinion angle, zero doubt) and those poor UBolts have a wicked angle on them... He's begging for spit... ONE 4wd boosted launch, and those blocks fly at terminal velocity... :Wow1:

re: issues w/ 6.x series:

the 6.4 was built as a result of 6.0 shortfalls, and most are addressed. The issue is it coincided with exhaust treatments and the clumsy first generation DPF's... they were 'tacked' on by FoMoCo as an afterthought.. they are horrible... the industry is just now starting to gain their balance with the systems... the only advantage to the first gen is the simplicity to defeat them (pipe and programmer)... the EGR is also an issue, not so much to rupture but definitely to flash boil the oe 'gold' coolant... which drops particulates and clogs the oil-to-coolant oil cooler... resolve? at least block exhaust from the 'coolers', and swap ford gold for CAT EC-1 ELC...

fuel systems are what allow these things to make stupid power... but they are finicky and delicate unless properly maintained... you lapse, you'll pay... only good fuel from known good source, and motorcraft filters... opt for an aftermarket lift pump and NEVER run out of fuel... the fuel is pumped by the high pressure pump, but it also cools and lubricates the pump... let it run dry because you ran out of fuel, or let the lift pump fail, and the life expectancy is seconds on that very expensive Bosch K16- not to mention the cost of having to get to it...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94