Expedition trailer power -what do I need to do?

sail78385

Observer
Hey guys, Ive got a really great trailer I take on my camping trips. Im going through the process of upgrading it and would really like to add some 110v plugs, usb plugs and enough power to operate and ARB fridge, maybe a microwave and coffee maker. Not interested in running a generator so purely off of a battery and Id like to have the ability to use some solar panels as well. Whats the best way to integrate all this?

Attachments

• Aqualu Jeep Box trailer 2.jpg
    Aqualu Jeep Box trailer 2.jpg
    222.1 KB · Views: 26
  • Aqualu Jeep Box trailer 3.jpg
    Aqualu Jeep Box trailer 3.jpg
    294.5 KB · Views: 35

tarditi

Explorer
Might want to consider this sub forum, too http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/forums/48-Power-Systems-12v-Solar-Gen lots of information on this topic.

Microwave?
I'm not sure I've heard that request before... the rest can be done with a small bank of batteries wired into a distribution center with inverter, etc.
Batteries could be charged via solar (or generator or shore plug like an RV) lots of ways to skin the cat.
Accessories like coffee maker are best if sourced in 12v from the onset - RV and over-the-road trucker sources have lots of options here.

There are a few options closer to a plug-n-play solution. Goal0, for instance, has the Yeti power center and Boulder solar panels - you can charge up the Yeti however you like, and just run the power items off of that. There are other options than Goal0, of course, I just like their product offerings.

RagnarD

Adventurer
A microwave and coffee maker will have a large surge draw. A small stove and press type coffee maker could save you a lot of money on batteries.

Lmg

Hey guys, Ive got a really great trailer I take on my camping trips. Im going through the process of upgrading it and would really like to add some 110v plugs, usb plugs and enough power to operate and ARB fridge, maybe a microwave and coffee maker. Not interested in running a generator so purely off of a battery and Id like to have the ability to use some solar panels as well. Whats the best way to integrate all this?

I am currently doing a build on a teardrop and used the spreadsheet found here to determine my needs. The spreadsheet is set up for Australia, so you will need to research the peak solar sun hours per month for the area where you expect to be camping. I had no trouble finding this information for New Mexico.

http://www.campertrailers.org/solar_spreadsheet.htm

These links have more info such as wire sizing, wire type, and the experiences of a retired electrical engineer dry camping with solar. I found them very useful.

http://www.solar-electric.com/blog/off-grid-solar-installation-guide

https://handybobsolar.wordpress.com/about/

I did oversize my PV panel as we usually camp where the sun does not hit the panel at all hours of the day.
Heat shortens battery life. My battery box will be white; I am planning on air intake and exhaust ports with a 12V computer case fan controlled by thermostat snap switch.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
110v?? Camping??
Coffee french press via hot water from the Coleman stove?
Microwave!!! What??

Your trailer is along the same lines of mine.
4x6 but my tent is 2 queen beds on each side of the 4x6 floor. I bolted a 50cal ammo box to the front plate of the trailer next to the tongue box. The ammo box houses a 18ah battery, solar controller, fuse block. I added a rear LED ATV light to the trailer so backing into dark sites is now lit up I can see.. Added strip LED lighting to the tent with switches wife loves em. Added a led strip to the tongue box lid, when open it lights the hitch and back of the car. Added a simple 12v charging hub for our small stuff, ipads, cameras, phones, kids watched dvds once via power from the charging hub. Two small solar panels stowed in tongue box get set out. Works great on our 2nd season with it. Cost me about $200 for all the bits, wire and connectors.

sail78385

Observer
110v?? Camping??
Coffee french press via hot water from the Coleman stove?
Microwave!!! What??

Your trailer is along the same lines of mine.
4x6 but my tent is 2 queen beds on each side of the 4x6 floor. I bolted a 50cal ammo box to the front plate of the trailer next to the tongue box. The ammo box houses a 18ah battery, solar controller, fuse block. I added a rear LED ATV light to the trailer so backing into dark sites is now lit up I can see.. Added strip LED lighting to the tent with switches wife loves em. Added a led strip to the tongue box lid, when open it lights the hitch and back of the car. Added a simple 12v charging hub for our small stuff, ipads, cameras, phones, kids watched dvds once via power from the charging hub. Two small solar panels stowed in tongue box get set out. Works great on our 2nd season with it. Cost me about $200 for all the bits, wire and connectors.

Thanks for all the suggestions guys, y'all have give some great ideas. I had never heard of the arkpack before, very cool. Calicamper do you have photos of your setup? I don't actually plan on running a microwave lol but we could really use 110v power for a fan and led lights. I would like something for the winter that could power a heated blanket. I do rough it most of the places I go, but brining the wife along makes certain things I could do without a necessity.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
Fans and LEDs are all 12v items. To convert to DC you need an inefficient inverter. Its best just to stick with 12v stuff. LEDs work directly off 12volt feeds. My kitchen LEDs in my house all have a small transformer to step down the power from house current.

Ill post some picts in a few minutes.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
20150520_193643.jpg
50 cal ammo box set up
Ill need to post one pict per post it keeps crashing my browser on the phone loading two picts. Lol

calicamper

Expedition Leader
I need to take some shots of my simple charging hub and solar setup. But my whole thing was like $200 and was two fold, learning project and to get some basic power on the trailer. My big project was a $25k 8.2kwh solar system on the house lol. But what I learned doing the simple camp trailer system was a big help with the house project.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior