Ford TPMS delete?

dumprat

Adventurer
Is there a way to delete or turn off the tire pressure monitoring system on an 09 F350? Beyond a piece of tape over the light, or smashing the led in the cluster with a hammer.

drewactual

Adventurer
aye- my mind just jumped to the 6.4....

anyway, a dealer can do it... and, a shop w/ an SAE254 compliant interface can too... dealer will likely charge $50 or so...

Robert Bills

Explorer
Your dealer is not lying to you.

Federal law prohibits "manufacturers, distributors, dealers, or motor vehicle repair businesses from knowingly making inoperative, in whole or in part, any part of a device or element of design installed on or in a motor vehicle in compliance with an applicable motor vehicle safety standard." [49 USC 30122(b).] The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration has made it clear that this provision applies to customer requests to disable TPMS systems or install conventional valve stems in place of TPMS sensors. [See, http://www.tirereview.com/nhtsa-clarifies-make-inoperative-provisions-of-tpms-regs/ and http://www.autoserviceprofessional.com/article/95838/profiting-from-tpms-service.]

Your dealer would be subject to substantial fines and penalties for disabling your TPMS system or any part of it. Why would they risk that?

thethePete

Explorer
Your dealer is not lying to you.

Federal law prohibits "manufacturers, distributors, dealers, or motor vehicle repair businesses from knowingly making inoperative, in whole or in part, any part of a device or element of design installed on or in a motor vehicle in compliance with an applicable motor vehicle safety standard." [49 USC 30122(b).] The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration has made it clear that this provision applies to customer requests to disable TPMS systems or install conventional valve stems in place of TPMS sensors. [See, http://www.tirereview.com/nhtsa-clarifies-make-inoperative-provisions-of-tpms-regs/ and http://www.autoserviceprofessional.com/article/95838/profiting-from-tpms-service.]

Your dealer would be subject to substantial fines and penalties for disabling your TPMS system or any part of it. Why would they risk that?

Yep. Good luck getting them to do it. When I worked at GM about 10 years ago we were adjusting the pressures down on the 2500s for job bosses that never hauled anything; that lasted about 3 months before a letter came down from corporate nixing the practice. They're not lying. It's a liability issue.

adam88

Explorer
I had a 2008 Ford Ranger that had the TPMS. At some point, I had lost the sensors and I didn't want to buy new ones. So I put up with the stupid red light for a year. There was no way to turn it off. Covered it with black tape. Finally I decided I wanted it gone. Called up a guy I know who is a really smart do-it-all electrical guy. Told him I wanted him to kill the light. He removed the dash to pull the bulb, but it wasn't a bulb, it was an LED that was hard wired in. So he did his thing, not sure of the technical term, but he cut the LED pathways or whatever and fixed it. Light gone.

So basically, to remove the light, you'll need to open the dash up and manually kill the stupid piece of crap. Sure am glad that my 2006 F250 doesn't have any of this crap.

dumprat

Adventurer
Making it adjustable to your own settings has a great deal of merit. Setting it at 65-85 psi from the dealer is moronic.

Raul B

Explorer
I have the same issue on mine and have been running it with the damn red light on for 3 years now. Not to mention every time I turn on the truck I get the warning

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

thethePete

Explorer
Making it adjustable to your own settings has a great deal of merit. Setting it at 65-85 psi from the dealer is moronic.

No it doesn't. It has no merit. It is a truck that is rated from the manfuactuere to hold and haul a specific amount of weight and that is calculated with the tires at a specific load rating and pressure. It's a liability issue. If you run your truck with your tires at 50psi and then throw a full load in the truck and your tires blow... well, I hope people can remember the Explorer fiasco from the 90s that caused TPMS to exist in the first place... Buying a 3/4 ton truck with no intention of ever hauling and using it to its potential is moronic. Want a truck to ride decent empty? Get an F150. You don't even have the big motor or a diesel in it anyway; you've got at least 2 threads on here asking about how to make your 3/4 ton truck ride better empty, or lightly loaded and you've got a 5.4 in it... Why not get rid of it and get into an F150 with air bags in the rear? Sounds like it'd be a better fit for what you want out of your rig.

If you're choosing to blatantly disregard the OEM's tire pressure suggestions, then there's no reason or justification for them to accomodate you.

And yes, the dash in that truck is a solid-state affair. There are 'dash guys' that rebuild them who may be able to elimiate the light for you by disassembling the dash, but that's about it. Maybe you could make some type of metal can you can pressurize with the TPMS sensors installed into it? Spoofing the system with false pressure readings is about the only way to elimiate it without using a piece of tape.

bat

Explorer
I installed some new rims and tires on my truck and the sensors would not fit the rim angle. I had the tire installers leave them off and made a canister out of PVC with air valve threw the sensors in pumped it up and no more light.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles