Ford TPMS delete?

drewactual

Adventurer
I have an h&s mini max, and a black max. I also have the now extremely valuable tpms module. I can alter size and alter pressures. Or turn it off.. I decided to turn it off as opposed to installing the sensors in aftermarket wheels and praying they sync up...

This isn't brain surgery.

Maybe I don't speak as eloquently as others here... maybe they are a lot smarter than me... maybe they know a lot more than I do... but listen close: a dealer can do this, and will if given incentive. A mom and pop with a Drew's industries sae254 system can do it... a system that interfaces with the script and logic of about any brand or make, that has ability to write, can do it. It's clearly marked, and a simple toggle. Yeah.... legal mumbo jumbo and high horse whatever, it can be done. Catch a Ford tech and tell him what you want, and tell him there is a fifty in it for him... have him scan and log your pcm, and THEN have him turn the dang thing off.. done... that simlle...

equally simple and just as cheap is to buy a cylinder and drop the sensors in it, and pump it up to pressure... not only do you defeat the system, you now have a bottle of air on board, and a reminder to refill it if you use any.

Sorry to take such a position... but I too have a 08-10 super duty, and I turned mine off... so... don't tell me it isn't possible.

dumprat

Adventurer
I haven't given up on this idea yet. thanks for the info Drew.

And if I could find a half ton truck that could legally carry a half ton, that had a solid front axle and had seating for six I would buy it. Beyond that Pete you continue to prove your stupidity.

thethePete

Explorer
Late 90s Dodge.

You're quite the piece of work. You just stay classy. I gave you solutions. You can't run a programmer suggested because they don't offer them for the 5.4. I don't believe the Edge tuner allows TPMS modification. Just because you don't like the answer doesn't make it wrong. And calling me names doesn't make me wrong either.

dumprat

Adventurer
A friend runs a shop. They have a Snap on "modis" wonder if that will be able to do it.

If not I am off to another dealer in another town next week. The local guys won't color outside the lines on anything.

drewactual

Adventurer
just realize the PCM and TCM are separate computers on that rig- not just two sides of the same computer, but two distinct computers... the PCM is pretty regulated and dealers are not too keen on messing around with customer requests on it... much of the new systems track it, so HQ can see what 'johnny twirl a wrench' in San Antonio did to a truck @ 0845 on December yer sixth, 2010 by observing the logs- and can do so from a galaxy far far away. you can get them to do things like 'turn auto door locks off', or 'lights on when wipers on' ect, but anything in a protected table is going to log (generally, those tables aren't locked/private, though- just those that manage the engine/fuel/exhaust ect)...

the TCM isn't so concerning. there is zero federal regulations on when you want to shift (speed/rpm) or the torque converter to lock. you'll not want some hack messing around in those folders, as the language isn't plain- and it's not as easy to access, anyway... but if you request a speedometer correction, they will have no issue with this... if you ask for a TPMS toggle or adjustment, and unless they're flat jerks, they ought not have a problem with that, either. I've never heard of anyone at a dealership refusing this. it's a matter of if they know what they're doing (and a reason I generally avoid dealerships is that most techs there don't know what they're doing in my experience, but will never tell you that until you discover it for yourself), or what their price is...

if your truck is an automatic, it has a 5r110 or a 5r110w... the 5.4 has less clutch packs, but the case is the same as the 6.0, 6.4, and 6.8... the table STRUCTURE is the same on each TCM, but the values/logic are NOT the same... you'd suffer from strange and harsh shifting if you planted a 5r110 from a larger engine behind yours, though it would work... for this reason, I'm highly confident that a powerstroke diesel tuning shop can help you out and turn off the pesky feature w/o much adieu...

dumprat

Adventurer
Thanks. That provides some more local options. There are both local diesel tuners and some pretty competent rice er tuners in the area as well.

Mr. Snappy

Adventurer
A friend runs a shop. They have a Snap on "modis" wonder if that will be able to do it.

If not I am off to another dealer in another town next week. The local guys won't color outside the lines on anything.

No, the Modis won't do that. I know because I sell them, and have access to all the VIN specific info on the scan tool. You'd need a TPMS3 to do any resets or relearns.
The real issue here, though, isn't the light. The light is there to make you aware of an issue in the system, just like a CEL. Clearing a code doesn't fix the problem.
I venture to say that you need to replace the sensors in the wheels. The sensors come with a L-ion battery that has an expected lifespan of 5-7 years. When the batteries die, light goes on cause there is a loss of communication between the TPMS sensor and the TPMS module or the TCM. Turning the light off doesn't fix the issue.
And as stated by others here, tampering with the TPMS or disabling it is a federal issue here, not sure about in B.C., but since friends of mine have to reinstall their cat every time they go for emissions testing, I'd say it's likely there too. The shops aren't going to put their business at a risk by turning the system off for you or anyone else.
If you figure out a way to do it on your own, bully for you, then nobody is at risk but you.
And yes, I do sell the Snap-on TPMS3 tool as well, and no, it won't do what you're asking either.

dumprat

Adventurer
I actually don't want to get rid of it. I want to set it to a reasonable safe lower limit. 45 psi for example. Then if your tires are at 65 front and 50 rear and you pick up a nail you will be warned before you damage the tire or get to a dangerously low point.

Having all four tires set at max sidewall limits is not only bad for your tires it beats the **** of the occupants and the truck.

dumprat

Adventurer
What ever happened to people do a walk around their vehicle once in a while like we we taught to do in drivers Ed?

LWD601

On my last truck i got a piece of 4" tubing a 2 caps, drilled a hole in one of them for a valve stem, threw the tpms sensors in it, sealed it and pressurized it and just kept it in the cap of the truck. Dont know if it will work on all trucks but worked on mine

Robert Bills

Explorer
On my last truck i got a piece of 4" tubing a 2 caps, drilled a hole in one of them for a valve stem, threw the tpms sensors in it, sealed it and pressurized it and just kept it in the cap of the truck. Don't know if it will work on all trucks but worked on mine

aka "TPMS Bomb." They work with many systems. Google it.

The problem these days is that the NHTSA has issued an edict that removing sensors, even inoperable sensors with bad batteries, constitutes "disabling a TPMS" system under Federal law which subjects a dealer, repair facility or tire shop to substantial fines. Its becoming difficult to find anyone who will remove the sensors.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles