The Bush Winch

tgreening

Expedition Leader
It's not meant to do everything you can do with a regular winch, but it does have some advantages. It's gone when you don't need it, you don't need to worry about some extra beefy battery(s) to run it (along with the wiring), and it's way lighter. I'm sure it would fit the bill for most folks since when stuck most simply need to go forward or back, without need for any fancy multi-point, multi-vehicle winching setups.

Nothing wrong with another consumer option.

67cj5

Man On a Mission
I carry a "Hand Winch" kind of like this Black Rat
- http://www.expeditionswest.com/equipment/general_equipment/black_rat_winch.htm.

Its is out of the way, but has plenty of power when I need it. Plus accessories from your standard electric winch will still be useful.

I have one of those Black Rats winches, They are Identical to the Tirfor T516 in every way, Still in its box, I have never had to use it and I also have one of their high lift jacks Along with the Genuine 48" Hi-Lift and the 60" Hi-Lift Extreme, As for those wheel winches other versions of them came out in OZ about 35 years ago and YES they do work well, just as good as any Winch. J.

EDIT:- Actually my Black Rat is the 1600 Kg model / 3513 Lbs Version.

Last edited:

MOguy

Explorer
Back in the day my Army hummer offered the same feature. You where to stick you lug wrench through those holes and then let a cord wrap around it. The onely problem was we only had 550 cord that wasn't strong enough and sling legs were too thick.

MilValve-Stem.jpg

Haf-E

Expedition Leader
This approach also works as a differential lock as it keeps one of the wheels from spinning resulting in the wheel with traction rotating. Would be a good idea for my sprinter van which does not have the option of a diff lock and is easy to get stuck when lightly loaded since the wheel base is 158 inches.

Wonder if there is a way to just have the reels permanently attached to the wheels and then the rope is put on when needed? Would look a lot like the old Unimog hub steps -

s-l225.jpg

front_wheel.jpg

Haf-E

Expedition Leader
In their webshop it says the rope is "5mm red coloured Dynice 75 Rope (3200kg/7054lbs)"

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior