The Bush Winch

jgallo1

Adventurer
Its time for me to get a new winch (along with a new truck :Wow1:)
I sold the old one with the last truck..
My expo days are getting a little further apart and the adventures shorter due to grad school, so I was thinking of getting a manual winch. I was pretty dead set on the More power puller but came across this video and just wondering if anyone has had any experience with the Bush Winch (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=trrEKbc6uqE)

-Thanks as always

M35A2

Tinkerer
I've never used one but I can see it being handy in many situations. Obviously, you are not going rock crawling with one. But it would seem to add versatility at low cost, without changes to the vehicle, and not too much to carry.

Kerensky97

Xterra101
The cord looks so thin. Is that 550 para cord?

Although I guess there is something to be said about just adding enough pull to move you forward till you get traction, you're not going to try lifting the vehicle off the ground with this.

cdthiker

Meandering Idaho
" Custom build rope"
according to that clip.

It appears to be much thicker then 550 cord. It looks almost like some light weight climbing line or heaving cordage.
I have used something of the like for climbing and rescue operations.
The streangth of the stuff and break rating is amazing for how think it is. Since there is two lines running I would have to assume that that the combo would be imprssive.
Of course Now I am thinking well waht if you have open diffs and can only get one wheel to spin ?

I guess in theory, the other wheel would catch up real quick like but what if there was already slack in the other line ????

Pilat

Tossing ewoks on Titan
The rope looks like a Dyneema/Spectra line. If so, at that thickness, it will have many tons of work and breaking load.

jgallo1

Adventurer
The rope looks like a Dyneema/Spectra line. If so, at that thickness, it will have many tons of work and breaking load.

The rope definitely looks like spectra or something close to, which is really nice to have. Its more the logistics of the thing that intrigue/worry me.. I think I am going to stick with the old power puller

rossvtaylor

Adventurer
can this be used to pull your vehicle out in reverse?

Yes, by swapping the hubs, it seems. They have a keyhole slot in them, so as the wheel rotates it retains the hub on the rim/studs. By reversing those, you can use this backing up. That looks like a nice feature.

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
That's pretty clever. Doubt it can replace a center mounted winch totally but I'm also all for cheap and simple options that help keep the trails from being all dug out.

Coachgeo

Explorer
This concept has been around for decades. Farmers use to winch their tractors out this way. Old School always once again become New School.

Best to do it on both tires... one won't work unless you have lockers. Two.. it is better for suspenion, Axle mounts, tranny, Ujoints, engine mounts etc.. cause this puts forces on these components in ways they are not designed for thus it is best to spread the load.

Happy Joe

Apprentice Geezer
I agree; what's old is new...
I'll stick with a conventional winch that allows me to pull sideways... thanx.

Enjoy!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles