Apache Pop Up Camper?

jerstw

Adventurer
Anyone have experience with Apache Pop Up Truck Campers? I cannot seem to find out much about them online and going to look at an early 2000's version next week.

Thanks.

Camp JP

am 99% sure they were Sunlite Mfg campers with a different name.

If that's the case we had a 2000 Sunlite pop-up 6.5 model for 15 years and it performed just fine for what it was. They are not high end expo campers but if you find a good used one that hasn't had any water problems no reason to pass it by. Ours had the Heko lift system that was flawless the entire time we had it. We usually spent 15-20 nights a year in ours.

jerstw

Adventurer
Thanks Camp JP. Based on your experience with your Sunlite are there any specific 'problem spots' for water damage I should be looking for? First time for me looking at truck campers so appreciate any insight.

Camp JP

Sorry just saw this so might not be timely. Never had a problem with ours. I recaulked it every couple of years and stored it covered. It was a great simple camper. FWIW our eagle weighted about 1250 dry (verified by the scales) and was a great match to my old 99 2500 Ram. On my new 2014, I needed a spacer in the bed to get it above the cab. What truck are you putting it on?

jerstw

Adventurer
No worries. Went it look at it for my brother. Was made by Sun Valley who went out of business back in 2009 it appears. Very nice little camper, original owner, 2002 model, 103 nights of documented use (he kept a camper journal), never had water in the fresh tank, minimal use of the stove, not pets, no smoking, and kept in a heated garage when not on his truck. All the original manuals, etc. also. My brother is picking it up next week and it will be going on his 2013 Tacoma Double Cab. He already has some "E" Tires on his truck, added helper springs and is using the Torklift frame mounts up front and Happijac bumper mounted tie downs in the rear. Based on the weight of the camper according to the manufacture tag and his trucks payload he can have to wet and still toss about 350 lbs of gear in it.

Time to find one for my boys and I but thinking I am going to start searching for a new truck first as my 1/2 ton 2011 Ram crew cab with the 5'7" bed has too low of a payload and won't safely let me get what I want in a camper...love the FWC's bit thinking a Northstar TC series may be better for me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior