02-08 Dodge Ram 1500 Suspension Modification Questions

Thebrokenpony

Hello my name is STEVE and I am a newbie on this forum. I was referred here by a tech-support person at Currie Enterprises. He said the folks on this site are always glad to help and provide more professional answers as compared to other forum he has been on. So here goes my question.
A couple of years ago I bought a 2007 Dodge ram 1500. It is a 4 x 4 with the 5.7 L hemi and an auto trans. I did not realize too an extent I was making a mistake when I bought this truck. What I was trying to do in purchasing this truck was to have an all around rig that I could use as a daily driver, towing vehicle, hauling vehicle, trail rig. Hunting truck, and an off-road expedition vehicle. Here is where the problem comes in with the suspension and differentials in specific. I found only a handful of kits to lift this vehicle, and most of them use blocks over the rear leaf springs and pucks above the front coil overs to lift the truck. I purchased a rough country 6 inch lift kit for the truck that uses this method to lift the vehicle. I was going to purchase a set of fox coil overs for the front and lifted leaf springs for the rear of the truck to avoid using the blocks and pUcks from the kit. This is how BDS does it on their kit. I figured that I had it all figured out and was going to save a bunch of money over the BDS kit. What I didn't take into account were the differentials. I have an 8 inch front differential and a 9 1/4 inch rear differential. I was wanting to put air lockers both front and rear to increase the off road capability of this vehicle. What I found was no one makes any locking differentials for either of these two differentials I am looking for advice on what to do. Do I buy a independent suspension 9 inch Center from Currie enterprises or do I do a solid axle swap in the front and use a different lift kit than the one I bought. Does anybody know of an independent front differential that I can use on the truck? Then we move to the rear of the truck. Due to the fact that no one makes a locking differential for my rear end I need to swap it for a different one. I want to have a full floating rear end that I can have an Air locker on. I also in doing this would like to keep my ABS brakes and disc brakes. Does any body know what axle or should choose to do this? I guess what I'm looking for is advice on what to do with the front differential, the rear differential, and the suspension. I am on a little bit of a budget so I can't afford to spend thousands of dollars, but I do have some money to spend to make this happen. Selling the truck is not an option. I have a kid in college and when I'm trying to sell the truck in the past all I get is lowball offers so I've decided I'm just going to keep the truck and modify it to make it work. That being said I'm not willing to give up on making it as capable of an off-road vehicle as possible. For this reason one where another I need to figure out how to solve my differential and suspension problems. Once I've got this dialed in then I'm going to go down the road of figuring out how to add items to the vehicle to turn it into an expedition vehicle. I don't want to add these items though until I can make it a capable off road vehicle because I am afraid that I will just be throwing good money after bad if I can't figure out these other two issues. Any help you can provide me would be greatly appreciated! Thanks! Steve

PhilipE

Observer
I don't know what your state laws are. So it would be something to check into.

Drop the same year 4x4 diesel chassis under your gasser. It gives you better options for suspension. Bigger axles and many lift kit options. More used lift kits on the market also. Many people drop big bucks for lifts. Then remove them before selling for discount prices.

Thebrokenpony

I don't know what your state laws are. So it would be something to check into.

Drop the same year 4x4 diesel chassis under your gasser. It gives you better options for suspension. Bigger axles and many lift kit options. More used lift kits on the market also. Many people drop big bucks for lifts. Then remove them before selling for discount prices.

Thanks for the reply. In Wisconsin we don't even have emissions checks up here so I don't think doing this will be a problem. So will my cab and box and everything transfer over onto the 2500 frame? I'm also assuming that I would need to have the steering box and whatnot from the 2500 frame as well. And do you know was there any threads on anybody ever doing this? Thanks for your prompt response and all your help! Steve

Stoney126

Adventurer
That would cost a bit of coin to do. Not to mention the hassle of title. Honestly have you used the truck at all yet? Lockers are nice but not always needed.

Swapping axles gets pretty pricey too. I haven't priced a curry rear end but I can't imagine it going for less then a few grand.

Imo I would run what you have till the need arises to build up.

dumprat

Adventurer
You could drop it back down to a 2" lift and just use it.

Unless you are rock crawling you don't need or even want air lockers. Or huge suspension travel. A stock truck with a tight limited slip in the rear will go farther, way farther in fact than most people would ever imagine. Spend the money on really good tires and some recovery gear and skid plate systems.

The magazines and off road forums have pushed big suspension travel and lockers for years, when in fact 90% of the people who have them will never engage them.

surlydiesel

Adventurer
I agree with the advice above. Get a good limited slip in the rear, maybe a portable winch mount, so you can winch front or back, good tires and the needed recovery gear. That is still a pretty big truck and you aren't getting into places where a Jeep Wrangler will fit but you can certainly bury it up to the doors in mud. Once you're in deep, a front locker won't help. Use the truck and upgrade where you see deficiencies.

-jorge

fastestz1000

I believe Detroit makes a mechanical locker for the rear. I would advise against a locker for the front as they are not a very strong unit. just adding a rear locker makes a world of difference in my experience. I have a 2002 dodge ram 1500 and I have found the same lack of aftermarket support as you have.

I've looked at the solid axle swap option. It has been done but I have only found two people in my internet searches that have done it. One thing you have to think about in finding a front axle is the ABS sensors. If you want to change to 3/4 ton axles, a problem you run into is the speedometer is run of a sensor and tone ring on the rear ring gear.

BDS makes the best lifts for these trucks in my opinion. You can also have leaf springs made to your specifications for the back to get rid of the blocks. I currently just have the front end lifted 2 inches, stock rear, and have 35's without any issues.

Just some food for thought.

OffGridCamper

Observer
The Mopar LSD that I have works great and will pretty much stay locked off road in my experience, but the front is a different deal... I too am in the same boat about the front locker. They don't make em', but I feel that if there is enough uproar (demand) for them towards the big manufacturers then I think they would do the D&E and get one out. What we've all talked about with this is that the front diff would grenade with a locker, but I call BS on that because the front end on my truck has been pretty stout (drivetrain wise). I don't have a lift, but just a leveling kit, I've heard nothing but bad things about RC on our Ram's, I'll be buying this kit here http://zoneoffroad.com/zone-offroad-products-2-5in-suspension-lift-kit-ram/d48 soon that is a lot better than RL like I have now that's just a spacer on top.

All in all these trucks are very capable and there are endless options for them.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94