08 Dodge Ram 2500 megacab - slow build

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
You know how every once in a while you see a tool and think, "that is genius". This is one of those tools. My buddy Dave had one in his crane prep bag on a shoot I went on and I knew I had to have it. Harbor Freight strikes again.
View attachment 345897View attachment 345898
!/2" drive extendable ratchet / breaker bar.

This in combination with my Porter Cable 20v impact makes tire changes fast and easy.

I've got a similar one I've had for years. Good for removing nuts that have been tightened with air impact wrenches set on overkill.:sombrero:

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
Smog check in Cal is every 2 years from new. Talk with your smog guy before removing stuff and setting off codes. I will never touch the smog equip on my 14.

Yeah,the new mandatory smog machines automatically transmit results to Sacramento.
The guy I use has an old machine for test purposes in order to tell you if your readiness monitors are kosher. My 5.9 has three monitors. The 6.7's have eight I believe. Some owners reportedly have to drive the vehicle 1500 miles or so in order to reset them. Out of state vehicles have federal certifications. Owners on occasion have had to get referees to allow the vehicle to be smogged as such. Big cash cow for Brown.

KSL22

Adventurer
The guy I bought it from has had it on his 08 since almost new. He said he only has had problems once when one code didn't reset. He in California as well. I have worked with him for 13+ years and bought my trailer from him as well. I will need to put it back to stock and drive it about 250 miles before smog.
If I had the HP/torque of a '14 I would leave it stock too.

KSL22

Adventurer
I started to get the on board air system together with the air tank shown above and my Smittybilt compressor. I plan to mount it in the space on the drivers side between the transfer case and the frame rail. I want it flush with the bottom of the frame and that is proving to be challenging. I am waiting on a few fittings and valves. I am going to mount a switch panel in the area of the center console where the transfer case shifter would be on a manual shift truck. I will update with pictures when I get a little further along.

KSL22

Adventurer
My son and I just got back from a 4 day trip up to Mammoth. We drove through the Alabama Hills and played in the rocks a bit. Split off Movie Flat rd and drove into Manzanar the back way. Found some cool two track getting there. We walked around Manzanar for a bit, soaking in the history of it all. We then drove across the highway to see the Reward Mine. I was going off memory and took the canyon straight ahead rather than going left like I should have. This canyon had some cool stuff in it but it was not full size friendly at the top. Which led to a four hour delay in travel. I was also disappointed when I got up there that there was no giant mine shaft. After we got free we chose to go straight to Mammoth rather than the few other stuff I had planned on doing on the way up.

We planned to camp at Laurel Lakes but it was getting dark so I modified the itinerary. I was sore from stacking large rocks and road rebuilding so I figured I would camp off Little hot Creek just past the siphon tub. The tub was very welcoming in the morning and my muscles appreciated it. We went up Laurel Lakes Rd. in a attempt to finally get to the lake but were stopped by some snow drifts. We were able to get right above the lower lake on the road backed up to the snow drift. The wind was blowing hard and cold all night so we moved camp back down to the creek and set up among the Aspen trees for the next night.

The next day we cruised up to Lee Vining through the scenic loop and the June Lake loop. After topping off the tank we went to Bodie to look around. Coming out of Bodie I took trail that goes around the back side of Mono to Highway 120. That was a fun two track that got tight enough that I had to pull both mirrors in. There I aired back up and we headed home on Highways 120 / 6 / 395 / 14 / 5 / 118. We did pass a Foreign Toyota with a big composite camper on the back turning into a campground and we passed Harry Wagner and Fred Williams going the other way in the "Ultimate Summer Camp Jeep".

All in all we did 780 miles with as much dirt as I had time for. I will post a full write up and add a link and some pictures here.

Other notes.
The BFG KO2s were flawless. We did lots of washboard, two track, some mud, trails with rocks, and trails made of rocks, some sand dunes, and some loose climbs. I aired down to 35 in Lone Pine and back up to 50 getting on H120. I would have liked them a little lower for the rocks and sand. They were fine at that pressure for the washboard and pavement. I wasn't carrying much of a load other than the cooler.

The suspension did well on the washboard (and worse) that was off Benton Crossing (Green Church rd.) and out to the tubs. It was working hard but the change and drinks stayed in the center console. It felt planted the whole time only getting a little floaty feeling on the real bad stuff. i could have used a bit more dampening in the front on the two track around Mono as some of the bumps would sneak up on me...or I could have slowed down a little. Still only had one or two real sharp hits on square edge bumps.

I could use a front bumper with more clearance and a winch.

The rear limited slip let me down a few times. Only time it mattered was at the mine. Other than that I just had to back up a few inches and pick a different line.

KSL22

Adventurer
Started off at the Alabama Hills. Drove through the hills to the back side of Manzanar.

P1050736.jpg
First dirt of the trip. Desert Sphinx in the background

P1050745.jpgP1050746.jpg
Finding some trails through the rocks. Some sections were tight but nothing frightening.

P1050747.jpgP1050749.jpgP1050750.jpg
Taking a optional line to show my son what the truck is capable of. He was a little concerned when we nosed over into the ditch.

P1050753.jpgP1050754.jpg
This turn was a little tight. I got a little rash here as well. Time for some high clearance bumpers.

KSL22

Adventurer
Arches! The whole reason to come to the Alabama Hills right. Well that and the Alabama Hills Cafe. Best breakfast I have ever had.
P1050755.jpgP1050757.jpg

P1050761.jpg
Side of a rock selfie. If you see this mug out there stop and introduce yourself.

KSL22

Adventurer
Across from Manzanar is the Reward Mine...This isn't the road to the reward mine. [homer simpson voice] Doah
P1050790.jpg

P1050791.jpg
It got stupid narrow at the top and didn't offer any good room to turn around. Right here the back passenger tire is hung up on a rock and the front it taking out the edge of the road bed as it spins. The first time I wished I had a true locker in this truck. The three point turn around was sketchy and the Megacab wheel base did not help. Every foot the truck moved in forward or reverse direction, the back end would move a few inches over. Airing down further might have helped but I am not sure. Lining back up to the road to head back down had the rear tire a few inches too far over and the road edge gave way. My son and I spent the next 4 hrs stacking rocks and trying to jack up the passenger rear to level. The problem was every time I would try and jack it up, it would slide another inch the wrong way. I think a High Lift jack would have come in real handy here. I might have to add one to the shopping list.

P1050802.jpgP1050804.jpg

I should have made a left at the intersection at the bottom of the hill and went up the next canyon over in order to get to Reward Mine. I guess I have something to look forward to next time.

KSL22

Adventurer
P1050811.jpgP1050812.jpgP1050816.jpg

Night 1 camp off Little Hot Creek. The main road in was real rough and had some large avoidable puddles. Once we turned onto the two track along Little Hot Creek the puddles became mud and less avoidable. My favorite tub in the valley was just down the road from camp. It was very welcoming the next morning after the day we had before.

Last edited:

KSL22

Adventurer
P1050827.jpgP1050829.jpgP1050828.jpg
Heading up to night two camp. The road was a little rougher than I remember but nothing to bad, or where I was scared of body damage.

P1050833.jpgP1050847.jpg
Had to dig through a snow drift to get to the top of the summit. Still came a little short of the lakes due to the size of the last two drifts. It was fun backing up from the last turn around spot all the way up to where we camped.

KSL22

Adventurer
it was too cold up top. So we moved lower.
P1050849.jpg
I have had this two burner Coleman for a long time but have never used it. I have a three burner Camp Chef in the trailer that I usually cook on. This wasn't bad for two people, but I need to get a larger griddle to take advantage of both burners. What a fantastic place to cook and enjoy the morning coffee.
P1050857.jpg
Camp is set up for the night. The Aspens did a great job as a wind block.
P1050856.jpg
This grill was on sale at Walmart as I was getting the last few supplies. I don't know if I could make it for as cheep as they sold it for and it worked great. I think I will probably replace the rivets they used with a nut and bolt to firm it up.

KSL22

Adventurer
Finally did the exhaust, deletes, and loaded the tune. Power diference is amazing. I loaded the #4 program on the Smarty ME which should be 90hp. Little louder at idle and much more noticeable under full throttle, but about the same down the freeway.
Another bonus was being able to correct my speedo to my tire size. The bad is that I am going to have to re-learn throttle feel as I caught my self doing 80 a few times on the test drive where I am typically between 70-75.
The exhaust switch was a pain to do solo. Next time I will just remove the trans mount cross member rather than attempting to just drop the passenger side. Plus I will get my dad over to help with the weight / length.
The other downside was loosing the spare tire location due to different routing as well as larger diameter pipe. I might rework the back section to get it to work again. Or I might end up using the space for the on board air.
We are heading up to Idyllwild for the 4th weekend so I will let you know what mileage gains I see. I rarely saw better than 15 mpg before, even on long road trips.

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
Smarty makes a huge difference.
You might consider stock torque management. It'll "soften" the low rpm fueling somewhat.

cc93cruiser

Observer
Nice build write up... I have a 08 3500 4x4 that I need to replace the ball joints. ..Either gonna go with Carli's lifetime or dynatrac rebuild able ones..anyways here is a pic

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94