Cab over clearance

bumblebus

Observer
Well... screw that... haha... installed truck camper on 2" rigid foam and the side-to-side sway feels totally deadly (bumped the bed rails (that have at least 1 1/2-2" clearance) going through some potholes slowly). Going to get that foam outta there and put the 2x4" frame back under it damn the extra weight. I think foam would be fine for highway only smooth driving, but it's not good at all for Montana roads. Haha. Just an FYI/.02.

incognito

Adventurer
I would try and get rid of all wood ( for clearance purpose) and put foam, no weights and insulate( i have blue 2 inch foam)
2-3 inches is enought but on south american roads I heard somebody cracked the windshild due to bumps in the road and cabover hitting hard the windshield so some foam betweeen the cabover and the cab is a great ideea also, I have also 4 points of attachements for my camper in the back: 2 from the Bigfoot and 2 atttachement points which i've drilled between the jack legs and the rear bumper
hope this helps
incognito

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
My 2x2 perimeter riser setup supplemented by a couple of cross braces has worked well for 9 years now. Today's 2x2's measure out to about 1.5". Pretty light too.

Last edited:

krj

Observer
Just installed new Torklift tie downs on my new truck.
Directions explicitly said the use of a plastic bed-liner will void the warranty. Corrugations of the liner can act as a spring & the reduced contact area of the corrugations makes campers apt to slide around. Bumblebus, I'd hazard to guess that was your problem. Once I get a camper in this thing, & if I need additional clearance, I'll try the foam out on the MT roads I too drive.

bumblebus

Observer
Hey krj... just got back from a 750mi camper shakedown road trip down through Bozeman, over Homestake Pass, and back up camping near Ovando on the way back the Flathead Valley and the 2x4" wood height clearance frame under the camper worked GREAT! No sway at all compared to the 2" foam I yanked outta there. Coopers Lake was some nice camping. Fought 25-30mph head/side winds over McDonald Pass outta Helena and no sway problems at all. I'm sold.

IMG_2827.jpg

PS - Sorry for the continued threadjacking. Will stop now. :)

sunvalleylaw

I know Northstar includes a 2" x 2" perimeter frame spacer with a couple more 2" x 2" crossbraces on their popup campers for both the '03+ Rams like mine and the Superduty's.
This yields adequate clearance and is lightweight.
I reckon that would be enough for you.
My new to me 1994 Northstar 800 was just barely, barely clearing the cab, and we fixed it temporarily with some 2x. I plan on making a frame of 2x6 and 2x4 to screw to the already existing perimeter frame, and may get a sheet of the ridged foam insulation just to provide a little more clearance. I am just around an inch and a half now, which makes sense as we used 2x. My truck is a 2010 Ram 2500 similar in appearance to yours. I just got the camper up on the truck yesterday, discovered the issue, and my buddy (former owner and I) figured out the temporary fix. I have a shakedown cruise on easy highway from Hailey, ID down to the KOA in Twin Falls, for my daughter's soccer tournament this weekend, so will get some supplies at Lowes or Home Depot when I am down there. Obviously, Texson/RC Willet designed these a little differently in the mid-90's. But no big deal to fix.

I will be making a little door for the Propane compartment out of plywood or something temporary too, until I locate a door, and hope to replace tha tripod style passenger side camper jack with two on that side as well. Hoping to find a good source for re-built camperjacks as I don't want to spend $1,700 bucks or so, and would like to add computerized power jacks. But that is a different thread.

Attachments

• IMG_7278.jpg
    IMG_7278.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 25
  • IMG_7280.jpg
    IMG_7280.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 25

sunvalleylaw

PS, If I want a little more clearance than the 2" foam will give, do you think a second sheet of foam is ok, or should I use a sheet of plywood? Seems like 2-3 inches would be better than an inch and a half. @Regcabguy , @boxcar1

Also, hope the thread revival is ok. It just is exactly what I need.

I have a subframe out of 2x4 on edge, so 3 1/2” extra height under my Lance. Gives me 1 1/2-2” above my clearance lights. Rides fine on that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
The rubber mats work super.
It's one of the first things I buy on every truck.
They protect these beds and reduce sliding but only afford maybe a 1/2 inch of lift.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94