Newbie with a new Ram 1500 Ecodiesel

eevlgoose

hey all.
Been lurking around for a bit on here and figured i'd post some pics of the start of my ram 1500.
got it brand new bone stock with all the ugly chrome trim.
list of mods to come are:
4" lift
wheels and AT tires
F & R bumpers
rack
rtt tent
black out everything.

this is the way she looked when i got her.
i Love this truck. drives super nice and is way to pretty, both inside and out for me.
IMG_5420.jpg
IMG_5366.jpg

So far i've added steps (wife is 5'2, already has problems hopping in)
swapped headlights + hid's
swapped taillights (smoked LEDs)
got a stock primer grey grill, cut it up and got it line-Xed and a smittybilt M1 SS grill
IMG_5718.jpg
gotta get those chrome mirror covers and door handles line-X ed too

and i started on a basic rack to accept our Tepui tent
IMG_5713.jpg
IMG_5710.jpg
IMG_5726.jpg
Rear bar has been made removable so i can still get a dirtbike or a bookshelf or whatever into the bed.
Sorry for the crappy pics, i gotta take some nicer ones.

right now the rack is mounted and i'm probably gonna drive around with it for a min.
i'm going to add a bunch of mounts to it, Rotopax, awning, who knows what else, so i know i'm gonna be welding a bunch of tabs and brackets and whatnot.
eventually i'll get it sandblasted and painted (probably line x)

this is my 1st time using a tubing bender. eventually i want something more like a chase rack, with a modular rear and the possibility of mounting the tent over the cab.
here's a dumb little mock up i did

gunpainter

Observer
I wish they would stick that engine in the powerwagon, and have the megacab as an option, that would be the perfect truck IMO. Great lookin' truck btw.

Branden

eevlgoose

Explcmping thank you.
jd2 model 32 manual bender. Been wanting one for years and finally pulled the trigger.

gunpainter thanks
yeah i don't get why they did the power wagon with a gas engine.
i wish i could have justified getting a 2500 with the cummins and all the AEV stuff but there was just no way, i never tow that much stuff.
so far i'm really happy with the engine and the truck. we drove up to the sequoia national forest from LA for a day and i got 28 mpg round trip with lots of twisty side roads.

explrcmping

thank you.
jd2 model 32 manual bender. Been wanting one for years and finally pulled the trigger.

Looks like you are doing pretty good with it. I used a one like that back in High School welding class. I'm sure you thought of it but we used to count full pumps on the handle to try and get things as symmetrical as possible. Took a little bit of the guess work out of it. I would love to have access to tools like that.

OffGridCamper

Observer
Man, this is the idea I have for my 07 Ram. Idk what's more practical though on the rack, I was thinking a rack like yours would be perfect, but I need something removable so the bed racks that are about 6" above the bed rails was more of a better option, but it would then put the tent lower and reduce the cargo area in the bed so no I don't know what I'm going to do.

eevlgoose

explrcamping, it's got a degree indicator so getting it symmetrical isn't the toughest part. it took a few bends to figure out how much material is used to create a certain angle bend (so that your bend starts and ends in the right spot on your tube).

offgridcamper. yeah, i was struggling with that too, i just ordered a tepui autana tent, with the annex. so i needed the tent to be at least 6' up so i can enter/ exit it. but at the same time i wish the rack was 12" below my roof line, so the folded up tent would be hidden behind the cab and not become a MPG sucking parachute when driving on the freeway. i decided the comfort of it while open was more of a priority. i can always weld up a lower one if needed. we're gonna try out the setup on memorial day weekend.
i'll keep you guys posted on how it works out

explrcmping

explrcamping, it's got a degree indicator so getting it symmetrical isn't the toughest part. it took a few bends to figure out how much material is used to create a certain angle bend (so that your bend starts and ends in the right spot on your tube).

offgridcamper. yeah, i was struggling with that too, i just ordered a tepui autana tent, with the annex. so i needed the tent to be at least 6' up so i can enter/ exit it. but at the same time i wish the rack was 12" below my roof line, so the folded up tent would be hidden behind the cab and not become a MPG sucking parachute when driving on the freeway. i decided the comfort of it while open was more of a priority. i can always weld up a lower one if needed. we're gonna try out the setup on memorial day weekend.
i'll keep you guys posted on how it works out

Nice! Looking forward to watching.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94