Custom "Captain" Center Console Options

OffGridCamper

Observer
I have several items being put on my truck that are switchable units and I'm out of room for switches. I will not drill into my dash to put switches so I've decided to build a custom center console and wanted some input from folks who have done a job like this and opinions on mine idea.

Here's what I'm starting with... 07 ram 1500
4cb36b6566b6f35e7b5b6882fda8b78d.jpg

The cup holder assembly comes out with 4 screws and leaves recession 6" into the dash.
d1808bbc26ee1598b53c7615b45012ee.jpg

e74b0dafbdb74c87721523ec02923b45.jpg

My idea is that once the OEM cup holder is out I'll make a console that will go from the cup holder mounting point back to the flip up console. I never use the lower jump seat console and haven't been in there in months so I will make it follow the seat curve down to the floor.

Here's where I'm stumped; my original idea was to make the control panel tilted up at a 45 and angled facing me with all my switches across the top, CB in the bottom left. Now after doing some looking I'm wondering if I should make it straight instead of angled towards me, just would like to get some input on this.

Last edited:

PhulesAU

Explorer
As close to the hump as that looks, I think even at a 45 degree the labels, if any would be hard to read. If you have the monkey arms, that location might not be bad for easy reach. What does that panel behind the cup holders do? just fold back, like a splash guard?

rayra

Expedition Leader
I'd take out the flip-down drink holder, build a complete center console that goes from that hole to the seat, put a row (or double row) of switches up at the top, then the radio unit, then some other stuff, then some cup holders up against the seat. I'd do the whole faceplate as a curve, steeper near the dash, trailing off to near flat at the cupholders.

Here's a topic where I built a center console from scratch for a couple radios. I had much the same sort of void space when I took out the stock connecting console with tape deck and cubby. The new console I built tucks into (and hides) that empty spot and makes my built console blend in nicely.

http://www.expeditionportal.com/for...ling-and-heavy-gage-power-lines-under-vehicle

console29_zpskd9tbqn1.jpg
console28_zpsq0hzz45j.jpg
console34_zpsjhskeooz.jpg
console41_zpsgnmvlkvi.jpg
console42_zpsukkjgrew.jpg

eta

e74b0dafbdb74c87721523ec02923b45.jpg

consoleidea160510_zpsy586gmee.jpg

Last edited:

OffGridCamper

Observer
As close to the hump as that looks, I think even at a 45 degree the labels, if any would be hard to read. If you have the monkey arms, that location might not be bad for easy reach. What does that panel behind the cup holders do? just fold back, like a splash guard?
Yes, just a splash guard and to cover the empty space. I agree on the 45 and reading the label, but I would set the angle while I'm sitting normally in the seat so could very well be more of an angel than that.

rayra

Expedition Leader
... and if you want to get really fancy you can face it with some burl wood veneer, to really make it match / look factory.

Rbertalotto

Explorer
2006 Dodge 2500.....I wanted a large screen GPS. Needed to mount it high in the dash so it receives the GPS satellites better. Thought about building a custom console but then decided to relocate the factory radio and move the GPS up to this position.'

PA230013-vi.jpg

I wrote a whole article for my web site with lots of pictures

go to the Second page here www.rvbprecision.com

OffGridCamper

Observer
2006 Dodge 2500.....I wanted a large screen GPS. Needed to mount it high in the dash so it receives the GPS satellites better. Thought about building a custom console but then decided to relocate the factory radio and move the GPS up to this position.'

PA230013-vi.jpg

I wrote a whole article for my web site with lots of pictures

go to the Second page here www.rvbprecision.com
That looks pretty good. I'm not to fond of the radio being so low, what about liquid splashing on it from the cup holder? I have NAV from the factory I don't really need it (I hardly use it as it is), I do keep a NUVI in the glove box that stays updated though. Having the floor shifter kinda puts a kink in a "full console" for you, but with dash control for me is the only reason I'm thinking about it.

OffGridCamper

Observer
... and if you want to get really fancy you can face it with some burl wood veneer, to really make it match / look factory.
I don't really care for the "wood look", it's not real so... I've thought about a different trim kit to replace all of it and the console will be gray to match the carpet.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior