SLO flys for flippac

austintaco

Explorer
Is there any reason not to get the full window and vent treatment? Our trips are usually in the Summer and we have never planned to camp in the snow though we have camped in 20 degree weather a few times.
If anyone happens to have one for sale, let me know. I need to pull the trigger on ordering one soon.

thanks!

billy bee

Adventurer
I really think it boils down to budget (as I think those extras cost extra) and preference. Mine has some of those extras. In fact, mine has some custom treatment, like the semi-circular windows that align with the tent windows. I would not change a thing about mine, and I occasionally camp in colder temps. If I were to camp in the cold more frequently, I would just go with two vents, one on each end. The fly helps (somewhat) with insulation.

Here is a picture of mine in action. This was a three-day downpour. I did not need the additional ventilation or windows on that trip but really appreciate the air and the view during summer trips.

2012-11-16%2007.58.20-L.jpg

bb

calicamper

Expedition Leader
Around here I think all smart cap owners have solid locking side panels. Keeps the looky loo out of your stuff. With the flippac open you have big windows at eye level vs knee level.

Overlanerd

Vagabond Outdoors
IMO, there's no reason to not get the windows since you can zip up the tent for privacy. Vents are nice, but you have to put the flat bars in the sleeves (from the outside- sometimes hard to reach) to keep them open, even when you don't need them. Otherwise they flap in the wind pretty hard. I'm 6'-2" and still struggled at times with the side ones. Ends are easy. Worth the effort to me, but something to take into consideration.

BTW, the fly should definitely be seam-sealed and treated with water repellant. Not a concern for showers, but leaked a bit in heavy downpours and wet snow. I didn't ever get wet, but the tent did, which got the mattress wet. Not fun to deal with in the middle of a road trip.

EDIT: You could probably put the rods in before deploying the tent.

image.jpg

Last edited:

austintaco

Explorer
This is good info, especially the part about putting the rods in the sleeves for the vents. That would get old real quick.

mtnbike28

Expedition Leader
I always put the rods in before flipping over.... I like having the windows where I sleep, an odd noise at night, I can see what it was. But many times I need the other 4 vents to allow venting. I have had the same issue with the mattress getting wet on a trip, I have wanted to try a waterproof mattress before stowing, but have not gotten to it....

barlowrs

Explorer
One word of advice, ask them to add no see-um mesh on the vent holes...I sent mine back for them to add to mine. Bugs will get in between the fly and tent through the vent holes, then, since the whole bottom is bungeed they cannot get out that way and will end up finding their way into the tent itself through the torsion bar hole. I think they wanted 40 bucks to do no see um on all my vents..WELL worth it.

austintaco

Explorer
One word of advice, ask them to add no see-um mesh on the vent holes...I sent mine back for them to add to mine. Bugs will get in between the fly and tent through the vent holes, then, since the whole bottom is bungeed they cannot get out that way and will end up finding their way into the tent itself through the torsion bar hole. I think they wanted 40 bucks to do no see um on all my vents..WELL worth it.
Wow! I am glad I waited to order. Great advice. Thank you

austintaco

Explorer
Updating with what we learned about the SLO fly after our 3 week adventure. We ordered it with 6 vents and while I worked feverishly on my truck to prepare for the trip, my lovely wife had the task of seam sealing it. There was some confusion on which side to seam seal, so with the hot Texas sun around to help out the process, we did both sides. We draped it over the 84 4Runner and my wife went to town.
As others have stated, install the poles beforehand. We also "gather the poles" when taking down the fly and that helps to package it up and get it in the bag with ease.
Deploying the fly for the first time is much like the old FRP fly. Depending on your setup, after your first deployment, you will know how you want your straps arranged. I used the supplied and extra straps for this trip, but will be moving to some sort of quicker tie down system in the future. Feeding the loose end of the strap through the buckle every time slows down the setup process.
On my Tacoma, I have two straps on the front corners. Tie these together loosely and put the tied ends under the flippac support bars on the roof. That will "drag" the fly over the top when you open the flippac. Velcro on the lid and the fly would work too.
Finally, use something to differentiate the front from the back (if you have left the straps on and they are side specific for your application). I might just put some colored electrical tape around the front straps for now.
It never rained, but we put the fly on about 15 times over the last week. It worked great for keeping in the warmth, and the windows were a nice addition.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles