Folbot No More

Lemsteraak

Adventurer
Just tried to get some parts for my old Folbot kayak and found out that they are out of business.

For those that don't know Folbot, they are an old time maker of "folding kayaks" and many of us probably started kayaking because of their funny old designs. More to the point, I wish there were ways we can protect our little companies that make specialized expedition equipment. While most wouldn't think of Folbot as expedition equipment. My old boat had flown with me to Hawaii, crossed the US several times, paddling along the way, and the last time I used it was to paddle some of the rivers and lakes of Europe. I remember saving $1400 dollars for the big two man kayak 30 years ago, I feel I got my moneys worth. They even had incredible customer service, sending me tons of parts free of charge with their lifetime guarantee.

I know I'm taking this kind of personal, as I started a small outdoor products company and used Folbot as a model. Folbot used to have a one day sale in November, a "keep the factory running" sale. They would take your order and put you in the order book, you got your kayak sometime in the winter in the order they received. Loved it, and I blatantly ripped the idea off to keep my own little factory running during the winter too. It is a struggle to keep these small companies in business, I wish there were way we could protect and celebrate our little US companies that are hanging on.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier