Buying Advice on a Range Rover

swrider

Observer
So i am sure this topic has been talked about many many times, but it seems like it still generates comments everytime someone brings it up. Well i guess this is my turn.

I am currently living in Las Vegas, and after so many years of wanting to buy a vehicle capable of going out into the open desert, i am almost at the point of needing a new vehicle. Needing because my current daily driver is at a point were any major repairs will be worth more than the car. To me, this is the point were you sell and buy something new. And to me, something new would be an older, more affordable Range Rover; which just happens to be a vehicle that i've always wanted!

So being from Las Vegas, and the desert reaching extreme temps in the summer, vehicle cooling and cabin comforts are a high priority; as is mechanical reliability if out in the desert in the middle of summer. For this i am thinking of buying the best within my budget of about $35k. So probably an 08-09 with low miles, or an 09 and newer with higher miles.
Should i be concerned with having an extended warranty?
What about higher miles, say in the range of 70k and over? I like to hang onto my cars, so reaching 175k miles is a goal.
I won't buy a Rover without a PPi, and from what i have heard, newer models aren't so much of a nightmare in the maintenance/upkeep department. Is this still true?
Gas mileage will suck compared with my current daily, but i have assimilated that fact, is there anything else i should keep in mind?

Thanks for reading, and i hope to see some comments fromthe collective. Especially from people intue Las Vegas area.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

vasily

Adventurer
So i am sure this topic has been talked about many many times, but it seems like it still generates comments everytime someone brings it up. Well i guess this is my turn.

I am currently living in Las Vegas, and after so many years of wanting to buy a vehicle capable of going out into the open desert, i am almost at the point of needing a new vehicle. Needing because my current daily driver is at a point were any major repairs will be worth more than the car. To me, this is the point were you sell and buy something new. And to me, something new would be an older, more affordable Range Rover; which just happens to be a vehicle that i've always wanted!

So being from Las Vegas, and the desert reaching extreme temps in the summer, vehicle cooling and cabin comforts are a high priority; as is mechanical reliability if out in the desert in the middle of summer. For this i am thinking of buying the best within my budget of about $35k. So probably an 08-09 with low miles, or an 09 and newer with higher miles.
Should i be concerned with having an extended warranty?
What about higher miles, say in the range of 70k and over? I like to hang onto my cars, so reaching 175k miles is a goal.
I won't buy a Rover without a PPi, and from what i have heard, newer models aren't so much of a nightmare in the maintenance/upkeep department. Is this still true?
Gas mileage will suck compared with my current daily, but i have assimilated that fact, is there anything else i should keep in mind?

Thanks for reading, and i hope to see some comments fromthe collective. Especially from people intue Las Vegas area.

I heard in Australia, they have a saying....

If you want to explore the outback, get a Land Rover.

If you want to make it home alive, get a Land Cruiser...

MrWesson

Adventurer
I heard in Australia, they have a saying....

If you want to explore the outback, get a Land Rover.

If you want to make it home alive, get a Land Cruiser...

If you want to troll the land rover forum because you have nothing better to do then...

Budget of 35k will go a long way in the used market for range rovers.

My money personally i'm looking for a 07ish, saving a chunk of that 35k, and buying an aftermarket warranty(you'd still have tons left over)..

You're right to assume things got better in the reliability dept. I'd say with the start of the LR3/Ford takeover(05')..

Put it this way.. if you're interested in taking it offroad you'd feel better about an 07' and no one else has to know you saved money.

lwg

I just picked up a 2010 Supercharged for about that price point. I'm a big fan of the 2010+ models as they have a slight facelift, also the SC model basically has all options included in the HSE Lux along with a rear locker. The 510 HP doesn't hurt much either. Basically the same mileage as the HSE if you keep your foot out of it.

Sent from my Toaster

KyleT

Explorer
The 07-09 are pretty reliable. I gave detailed feedback in the other thread. Still rings true.

And it's also true a cruiser/gx/Montero all will give a rover a run for its money literally.

MrWesson

Adventurer
The 07-09 are pretty reliable. I gave detailed feedback in the other thread. Still rings true.

And it's also true a cruiser/gx/Montero all will give a rover a run for its money literally.

But will they look as good parked in your driveway?

Is the interior as luxurious and comfortable?

Will people crane their necks at a modified one?

Its shallow I know but Rovers have plenty of appeal over the rest for SOME people.

I'm not saying these things make the Range Rover better and to some people it may make them worse(flashy) but I think people are lying to themselves when they say they don't get it.

Aston Martin's are mostly outperformed by other sport cars in the same class but the appeal is still clear. Rovers typically aren't outperformed by other SUV's in its class in any metric except reliability/price which is something people are clearly willing to compromise on.

MrWesson

Adventurer
Should you bother having an extended warranty? With a budget of 35k..? In my opinion Yes.. Its worth the piece of mind if you either dont have time to, like to or have the capability to DIY.

A well maintained late model Range Rover should have no problem getting to 175k miles and 70k isn't what I'd consider high mileage at all. I'd personally spend less for higher mileage with a warranty over lower mileage without or even at all.

A PPI is a great idea.. I felt knowledgable going in and didn't have one.. Worked out just fine.

Things to keep in mind.

Gas mileage sucks and not just compared to your car.. It sucks compared to other large SUV's and takes premium fuel. Running costs are just simply higher but enjoyment is worth it.

Pinpoint your needs.. Do you just want something 4wd for the occasional sandy bit? Do you want a dedicated off roader? IMO Land rover falls just shy of being an off road "rig" but will take you everywhere in extreme comfort. By rig I mean a built Jeep or similar. I love my Rover but when compared to say a GX470 or similar you give up some things in exchange for others(mostly reliability for off road capability). The GX470 is probably about 75% as good off road and the Rover about the same in the reliability dept in my readings/experience. I decided against the GX470 because Toyota's just feel sterile to me.. Lacking the character and charm of the Land Rover.. It's hard to put a finger on but i'd rather work on a Land Rover than to drive a Lexus(mine has been great BTW)..

All that being said the Lexus is probably the logical choice but you could make that case for a Subaru or tons of other vehicles too.

Scan tool is a must have with this vehicle.. IMO as important as oil or fuel. Even if you don't DIY it will allow you to change things across the board and know what the problem is before getting hosed by the Dealer/indy shop. It also makes DIY crazy easy. It basically points you directly to the problem. It also allows you to clear codes to make sure it wasn't just a fluke. The IIdtool can do all of this and IMO is the best out there. Spendy but you get alot for your money including the capability to lift/lower the vehicle when desired or permanently(until you change it).

Once you get one buy the best new battery that will fit. These things are crazy sensitive to voltage and every issue I thought I was having with mine upon purchase was directly related to the battery.

Either doing so yourself or through a trusted mechanic.. Drain and fill every single fluid and filter in the vehicle. If land rover says the fluid is for life then don't believe them. I'd change the transmission fluid at 90k miles or before.

DiscoDavis

Explorer
Everyone has contributed good suggestions. Also google Doug DeMuro Range Rover. He bought an L322 with a carmax warranty so whenever anything breaks he's gotten them to fix it. Something to think about if you don't want to wrench on it that much.

SteveMfr

Supporting Sponsor
Doug DeMuro had a pre 2006. As has been mentioned before, the earlier L322s did have more issues than the 06-09's. Ford improved quality a lot. We (GAP Diagnostic) see this in our stats and support requests as well. That said, people live with D2ss, P38s and the like. The L322 is miles better. Even the 2002(RoW)-05s. My 2002 TD6 has been great. It is getting a new motor at 400k kms - and that only because a "trusted" Land Rover indy killed the old motor (if you want it done right, do it yourself. Lesson learned. I am dropping the new motor in myself). My 2007 TDV8 has been great as well. And it is quick for a diesel.

As far as off-road capability: there was a German off road magazine a couple of years ago that did an off-road supertest (they took the idea from the German mag "Sport Auto" that does a "supertest" of sports cars on the Nürburgring). To try to standardize testing conditions, they used an ex-East German tank proving track where the obstacles are all concrete. The L322 consistently beat every other 4wd from G-Wagen to Jeep to Asian 4wds to Defender or Discovery. I don't think this is an issue to worry about.

Then there is the on-road comfort. There is not another 4wd that comes close IMO. G-Wagen? Forget it. And as much as I like them, D3s and D4s are not in the same league here either. This was what drew me to the RR in the first place: we use our cars for traveling. And regardless of where you go, you invariably spend a great deal of time on road.

I am def biased, but I love the L322. The only drawback IMO is the lack of support in the aftermarket.

If the budget allows, 2006-09 are the best years for a multi-purpose vehicle IMO. But I would not hesitate to purchase an earlier L322 either. Make sure you know your way around the BMW V8's particular issues and you should be quite happy. Shame they didn't send the diesels to the US.

EDIT: forgot to add - thanks for the kudos on the IIDTools, guys! We really appreciate it. It really does make t all worthwhile when we get that kind of feedback.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke